cvfd1399

Aviator,Gunner or what?

Ok I am gonna say what I am looking for and you guys give me your thought on the best helmet. I want a open faced helmet with internal audible pockets that had a reliable way to secure it to your head. That can be later fitted with a camera when jump numbers allow. I would hate to buy a helmet and later have to buy another one just to put a camera on it, I like to buy for the future. I like the Aviator/gunner look, and helmets that have a mold type mount for the dv camera on the side of the helmet. If this would get better results in the photography section please move it, but I would like everyones comments not just camera fliers. Later , Lost in the helmet world

You'll get lots of contrary advice, but I'd recommend buying a Protec (app. $40), put color coordinated tape over the ear holes (unless your doing CRW), make elastic pockets for the audibles and figure out what you want later. This gives you some time to try things out, look around, and make a better decision.

Of course us old farts don't care about style.;) I've trying to decide on a different helmet for 5 years and can't find one that I like or that I'll pay for.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'm concerned that you're already trying to become a freefall photoghper. If your profile is correct, and in fact you've only got 10 jumps, then I'd strongly recomend that for the immediate future you focus entirely on learning how to skydive. There are so many directions you can take, I'm frightened that you've already chosen a direction.

1) Learn to skydive.

2) Pick a specialty.

In that order.

To answer your question, you can mount a camera to pretty much any kind of helmet. Some helmets are cutom designed for this, but they tend to start at $600.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

That can be later fitted with a camera when jump numbers allow. I would hate to buy a helmet and later have to buy another one just to put a camera on it, I like to buy for the future.

Neither the Gunner nor the Aviator are suitable for mounting cameras.

I'd suggest buying a helmet that fits your head/face size/shape now and worry about something you can put a camera on when it's time to put a camera on. Think about this - will you be jumping that camera on every skydive once you add it? If not, what will you do for a helmet on those jumps? Once you attach the camera mount to a helmet you won't be able to take it off...

but I'd recommend buying a Protec (app. $40), put color coordinated tape over the ear holes (unless your doing CRW), make elastic pockets for the audibles

I don't know how common this is but I had serious problems hearing my protrack when I used with a protec. It was real easy to mount it but the wind noise was loud enough to completely drown out the beeps.

I tried lots of different ways of mounting it some with better results than others. But the best I got was being able to hear it about 50% of the time.

I am not going to buy 2 helmets. Either I get a camera helmet now, and jump it in the future or say screw it. I don't see what it would hurt to have a camera helmet and jump it now without a camera? As far as it goes, I want to doccument my jumps, not jump specifically to film others, just a reccord to play back for my own pleasure.

I am not going to buy 2 helmets.

Over the next few years, it's entirely likely that you're going to buy a LOT of helmets. I'm buying my 3rd right now.

As for you documenting your jumps, that is actually MORE dangerous then properly "flying camera". It is most certainly innaproprite for you to even be considering it right now.

Is it really worth the major complications and significant risk just so you can have your own crappy video? Yes, your video will be crappy. It always is when people do it for "their own pleasure".

Don't kid yourself. Adding a camera is a major change, and it significantly changes the risks of skydiving. It is not something you should take lightly, especially if you think you can do it passively, for your own pleasure.

_Am
__

Aviator/gunner look, and helmets that have a mold type mount for the dv camera on the side of the helmet.

Neither the Aviator or Gunner have easy camera mounting shapes. Better would be the Hawkeye, or Optik. For looks comfort and fit, I like the Mindwarp Pimpdaddy Bonehead has re-released.

I'm assuming you're thinking about a sidemount camera later on?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I am not going to buy 2 helmets. Either I get a camera helmet now, and jump it in the future or say screw it. I don't see what it would hurt to have a camera helmet and jump it now without a camera? As far as it goes, I want to doccument my jumps, not jump specifically to film others, just a reccord to play back for my own pleasure.

If you don't want to find out "what it would hurt" to have a camera helmet now, make sure the helmet you choose does not have a mount and do not assemble the chin cup just yet.

I would recommend the Hawkeye that Skybytch listed earlier. They are fairly low profile. I have jumped mine "Naked" and it is fairly comfortable.

Also the price point is good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

As for you documenting your jumps, that is actually MORE dangerous then properly "flying camera".

I understand about the hazards at D-time with your mounts catching things, the whiplash, ect. That is why I am looking for a helmet that has the mount molded into the side with no snag points and a low side profile.

Explain to me why 3 inches of smooth carbon fiber on the side of a helmet and pushing the record button and having the camera film the same thing my eyes see on a jump is more dangerous than filming someone. B/C I won't be focused on aiming at a specific targe, wondering about light ect.. Just press button jump and forget about it until D-time, negotiate the procedures there and land. I don't see the problems with what I am looking for.

You now are needing time in the plane to make sure that the camera has battery power, the tape is at the right spot, that the camera is secured correctly. Things like that all add up to distractions. Then you run into the same issue that all "flight recorders" have, on reviewing of the video you notice your friends are all out of frame so you start making an effort to keep them more in frame for later viewing. You just steped out of the "record only" and into a videographer role. Soon your thinking will include "this will look cool on video" and "this angle is better". Those are all distractions that camera helmets bring. And I'm yet to see anyone (and I've seen 10-15 new camera jumpers in the last 3 years) that does'nt try to alter their flying based on piss poor video. Usually they are embaressed to show the video to others so they work to get better so they have video to show around.

On hop and pops at 13k I really don't want my camera recording 15 minutes of nothing, but I want a helmet so I have a normal helmet for those jumps. I know have 2 camera helmets and one regular Pimp Daddy Mindwarp. The Mindwarp gets jumped more often then my camera helmets do anymore. Camera's are useful, but they also are dangerous and can cause major issues.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Explain to me why 3 inches of smooth carbon fiber on the side of a helmet and pushing the record button and having the camera film the same thing my eyes see on a jump is more dangerous dangerous. Just press button jump and forget about it until D-time, negotiate the procedures there and land. I don't see the problems with what I am looking for.

I don't understand "3 inches of smooth carbon fibre". I've never seen a camera mount that doesn't have snag points. I've never seen a side mount where the camera doesn't stick out and be involved with riser strikes, at least.

Just press button jump and forget about it until D-time, negotiate the procedures there and land. I don't see the problems with what I am looking for.

The problem comes after two skydives, when you look at the video that you just shot and say to yourself, "wow. that video really sucks". Trust me, you will say this. You'll say that because the video WILL suck. It'll be video that you'll be ashamed to show anyone. It'll be video that you won't want to keep because it doesn't represent the skydive as you remember it.

After you say this, what will start to happen is that you'll start to think about getting "the shot". You'll start to think about framing, about keeping your head steady so the camera isn't bouncing around the sky. This is when things get dangerous, and it'll probably happen on your 3rd jump with the camera.

This is the point where one of two things will happen. If you're a seasoned jumper (which your not), the instincts that you've built up over a few hundred jumps will probably keep you alive. You'll still pull on time, you'll still avoid freefall colisions, and you'll still avoid a pilot-chute in the face when someone below you prematures.

If you're NOt a seasoned skydiver, the odds are firmly stacked against you when something goes wrong. There's a long list of skydivers who've gone in because they were concentrating too much on the video. Many of these were people who insisted (just like yourself), that they're doing it passively just for themselves.

Rather than simply passively recording the skydive, I would much rather that new camera jumpers actively become involved in what they're trying to do. Then they actually start to think about whats going on around them, and prepare for the risk that they're undertaking. You can't prepare for the risk until you understand it.

Because you think you can do it passively, I know that you don't understand the risks.

_Am
__

Because you now have the distractions of dealing with the camera, the tape, the lighting (yes, you will start thinking about it), the exit, etc. You may very well spend time turning on the camera when you should be checking your main PC handle, or the spot, or someone elses handles, etc. etc. ANYTHING that distracts you from the main business of learning to be a very good and safe skydiver adds risk. One camera man was so focused on the camera he forgot his rig, and died. Forget the camera, learn to skydive, then think about what you want to add in complexity and risk. Or, ignore the advice of those of us with decades of experience and are just trying to save your butt, and see if you get away with it.

Can you get away with it? Sure. I've seen lots of newbies strapping cameras to their helmets. Most without a clue. And most get away with it. Some don't.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

All of your comments are right on but like I said in my first post this helmet is for the future, what will it hurt to have a camera ready helmet w/o mounts now?

You are going to spend $100+ extra on the helmet. And when you do get a camera, you are going to want another helmet for when you aren't jumping with the camera.

Maybe nothing, except that you'll have more experience to form an opinion, more time to gather other opinions, and be able to buy the latest and greatest that's available in 2 years. You may very well want a bullet camera that doesn't require an external mount, a top mount video versus a side, or something else we haven't even thought of yet. Who knows what will change in the future. THAT's why I suggested spending $40 on a Protec, which many jumpers think are MORE protective, and save the big bucks for when you know what you want. As for the noise mentioned above, most of my Protecs have color matching duct tape over the ear holes. And I can take it off for CRW, where you want a helmet but not covered ears.

As to not wanting more than one helmet. You've got your camera helmet set up for a hot load. You've got a chance to jump on a CRW or fun load or water jump or whatever while your waiting. Do you want to pull your camera? Jump with the extra weight, or go without a helmet? When I'm using it, I have my camera helmet set up and use something else when I don't want it. Sometimes I want my frap hat to hold my audible, sometimes I want a hard hat, sometimes I want a camera, and sometimes I want nothing.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

My only concern is that you won't wait as long as you're planning on.

If you're not going to use it, why buy it?

It's like you going out and buying a real nice purdy sportscar, then telling everyone you're not going to use it. Most people won't believe you.

We don't tell students to go out and buy a 79 square foot swoop monster, telling them they can jump it when they're ready. We tell them to buy a canopy that's appropriate for them NOW.

Buy a helmet that fits your current needs. When you're ready to strap on a camera, then take a look at camera helmet offerings, and pick the one that fits your needs. Just like everything else in this sport, camera helmets are changing rapidly. The later you put off buying it, the less you'll spend, and you'll get a better product.

That said, there's a lot of helmets that convert easily. Bonehead sells camera mounting accesories that fit onto pretty much all of their helmets. The Mindwarp takes a lot of mounts well. My first freefly helmet was a Skydanve Velocity, because it too has a wide variety of camera mounts available. I didn't buy the mounts until I was ready to fly camera.

To answer your question, I have absolutely no objection to you buying a helmet that can be converted into a camear helmet by adding parts. Contrary, I do not think buying an purpose-built camera helmet now is smart. That will only encourage you to use it.

_Am
__

Ok cool. I like the gunner, aviatar, and velocity. I will go with that. It makes sence to wait and see what kind of technology they will have down the road and possibly cheaper prices on something. I guess what I really need is to decide on one of the 3 that have the best chinstrap, price, and altimeter security.

I guess what I really need is to decide on one of the 3 that have the best chinstrap, price, and altimeter security.

Prices are close on those. Aviator and Velocity $190-ish, Gunner $225-ish. Check out the Ion too - same mfr, shape and sizing as the Velocity but the Ion is built w/Kevlar reinforcement and is a bit lighter than the Velocity ($220-ish).

All have internal audible mounts. All have chinstraps - not sure what you mean by one being better than another. As long as you secure it after getting it to the tightness you want I'd think all of them will keep the helmet on your head.

I'd very highly recommend trying them all on before making your decision. Different helmets fit different face and head shapes better. Don't assume that because you fit a medium in a Gunner that you'll fit a medium in an Aviator - each manufacturer sizes their helmets differently.

All have chinstraps - not sure what you mean by one being better than another. As long as you secure it after getting it to the tightness you want I'd think all of them will keep the helmet on your head.

The chinstrap on my Gunner seems to come loose rather frequently, even with the little elastic ring around the strap that 's supposed to hold it in place. I check it a couple times before I exit. I'm planning to sew the excess nylon strap in place so that I don't have to bother with it all the time in the plane. Here's an earlier thread about the chinstrap coming loose:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=813171#813171

Otherwise, I love it...quiet, two internal audible pockets. The quick-release buckle is pretty neat. Very comfy. :)
_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)