panzwami

Differences between Nitro and Nitron?

Has anyone jumped both the Nitro and the Nitron that can comment on what the differences are in flight characteristics and construction between the two? I've had my Nitron for 125 jumps or so and I absolutely love it, but I haven't had a chance to jump a Nitro. Just wondering if they're really that different.

Thanks,

I have just ordered a Nitro2 form the manufacturers.

The only real difference seems to be the material they are made of:

Nitro (EU) = Gelvenor
Nitron (US) = Soarcoat

Apart from that I dont think there are any design differences, but could be wrong.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

To quote Chris Martin from the Swooping forum:

"With respect to the Nitro/Nitron... I personally feel this canopy will grow to be the most popular canopy ever manufactured. The Nitron is the exact canopy of the Nitro. This is the only design that did not receive any "tweaking" by Precision. (Note: EVERY other canopy built and marketed by us did receive some changes after we started jumping them. Only the Nitro, was a perfect, completed design when it arrived.) "

Tell me more about the Nitro2...

Dave

I went to order a Nitro, but was told to wait because the Nitro2 was now being produced.

This is part of an email from the manufacturers about the new changes:

"we already started producing the Nitro 2. It has a very nice Design on the upper and lower sail. We improved many things, like different sewing technic, a new type of line (TCNL) which is totally black and some things like pilote chute attachement point, a new slider killing system. We did not change the aspect ratio or the trimming, because the canopy is good like it is. Is has only a bigger packing volume the Nitro 1 because of the more sewings we now. On the other side the Nitro 2 is much more stronger because of that."

I have attached a copy of the design he mentions.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

a new type of line (TCNL) which is totally black

Possibly Technora???

If so what line strength is it and what are the dimensions?

~G~

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Possibly Technora???

Yes that's right. TCNL stands for Technora Competition Night Line. A German Line Manufacurer made us this suspension line which is very thin but still amazingly strong. We have a 160 kg (1mm) and a 200 kg (1.3mm) line. Both totally black. The black color is not a pigment, it is the protection coating which comes in the raw Aramid material. Shrinkage and stretching is as low as the standart Technora line, which means not senseable. The canopy remains in trim, no matter if the canopy has 1 or 600 jumps.

Pascal Lavielle
HiPeR

Are you saying that the line has wear characteristics such that it can go 600 jumps between line changes?

Bill based on personal experience with the line, I would suggest quite a bit more than that with care. Add to that the canopy will be "in trim" for the entire life of the lineset.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

HMA is Technora...

It is a aramid similar to vectran with stronger resistance to UV. It has no creep (meaning it does not stretch) but will still break down due to the environment you are exposed to, for example desert conditions were small particles of silica can eventually degrade the line.
I have heard of companies messing around with coatings in order to increase the UV resistance. This is finally catching on, you will no doubt see more companies doing it soon.

~G~

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Talking with Beezy (sp?) from HiPer USA, there are other differences (but pretty much negligable)

1) Material (as cited)
2) Stabilizers are attached to the outboard lines differently on Nitron (Precisions Stabilrib config)
3) The nose on the Nitron is one an extension of the topskin. On the Nitro it is a separate piece that is attached slightly differently (with tapes (?)). The german mfg claims a benefit, but not sure that it is conclusive that it is better.
4) The Nitron has (used to have) a larger slider spec. Supposedly all the Nitros (US and non-US) use the larger slider now.
5) Nitro center cell is checkerboard (cosmetic from what I understand)

j

>The canopy remains in trim, no matter if the canopy has 1 or 600 jumps.

Are you saying that the line has wear characteristics such that it can go 600 jumps between line changes?

I got 800 jumps on my first Nitron lineset.

I got 800 out of my Blade lineset which uses the thinner 160kg.

Contrary to rumor, these lines most certainly do show visible wear. I take good care of my kit, nearly always packed indoors on carpeting. My results are possibly beyond what can be expected. Both times my lines were very visibly worn when I changed them out.

The control lines on these canopies are a MUCH heavier weight. Aside from a control line, the direct line configuration also means that a broken line is only a single line, rather than two lines in the case of cascades.

4) The Nitron has (used to have) a larger slider spec. Supposedly all the Nitros (US and non-US) use the larger slider now.

I had one of the earliest Nitrons (a 120) from precision and the slider was TINY. My openings didn't suffer but someone with a 150 said they were getting very hard openings and precision sent them a larger slider.

The Nitro and Blade have quite a large slider with a very bulky kill line system that I hate. I actually had mine modified to resemble a PD.

Yes, they did. I had one of the small sliders on my nitron and finally got fed up and called Precision and they said "oh yeah, we changed the slider, we will send you a new one". Well, I was thankful for a new slider FOC, but geesh, ya think they might have said something about a revision!! My neck still suffers from a bad opening with 2 cameras on my head.

Haven't had much issue with the openings lately, but I definitely pack it to open slower than normal, JIC.

j

I know this thread is 5 years old, but I was hoping someone could tell me if differences have remained the same all this time.

I was interested in purchasing a nitro, but I mainly see some used nitrons for a good price. Was wondering what the best way to go was.

They are the same design except...
Different type of ZP (Not sure of the brands)
The Nitron is available in a 170 and the Nitro is not

Beezy also said that the Nitro has the spanwise reinforcements and the Nitron does not. There is extra reinforcing on the stabilizer as well.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I tried both twice. A Nitron 190 and a NITRO 150 and I agree with you, they are both great canopies.

The NITRO is the original one made in Germany with the biggest size being 150. It has relatively thick HMA black (UV treated) lines and thicker reinforcing tapes. Nitro is made by HYPER company.

THe Nitron is the American version of the Nitro. THe Nitron is made by Precision Aerodynamics of Dunlap Tennessee. The Nitron is equiped with light brown color HMA (or Vectran) lines.

Both have the same design which is typical from Nitro or Nitron ie.

1) continuous lines (no cascades)
2) the outside lines have a direct attachment at the bottom of the stabilizers to kept them under tension (unlike other canopies). From these attachments points at the stabilizer there is no more line going to the canopy (to remember when packing) but from those attachments points there are 3 tapes spread and going on the top of the stabilizer and used to distribute the force on the canopy.
3) a 2 feet long fin on the top skin located at the ouside cell level (keeping a better canopy lift)
4) a semi rigid thick mesh covering the outside half cell (to keep the shape of the canopy when turning)

A NITRO 150 (due to continuous lines) packs a bit thicker than a Sabre 2-170

The NItron 190 I tried has a trim angle of 15.19 degrees while the NITRO 150 has a trim angle of 13.25 degrees (the lowest trim angle I have ever measured). For comparison, my Katana has a trim angle of 18.03 degrees and makes it fly steep, it's a diver. The Nitro is flying very flat and is a glider.

Both Canopy are fully elliptical or tapered. Both have 36 attachments points (excluding the upper steering lines). When packing: from the bottom and each side, #of lines per set are as it follows : 3, 5, 5, 5. Hope that helps.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.
  • Like 1

THe Nitron is the American version of the Nitro. THe Nitron is made by Precision Aerodynamics of Dunlap Tennessee. The Nitron is equiped with light brown color HMA (or Vectran) lines.

The Nitron comes with black HMA too.