jrjny

I dare you to...

S.O.P. for me when I shoot commercial skydiving video:
1- Film freefall.
2- Back up to clear subject’s airspace.
3- Flip on back and film opening.
4- Flip over, further clear subject’s airspace, and deploy.
5- Scan for canopy flight clearance, collapse slider, un-stow brakes, and do a controllability check.
6- TURN CAMERA OFF AS I NEED TO KEEP MY HEAD ON A SWIVEL AT ALL TIMES DURING CANOPY FLIGHT.
7- Perform a predetermined and predictable landing pattern and land safely.
8- Turn camera back on and film subject landing.

Give me a break. I hope this post isn’t intended as a jab at qualified and highly experienced camera flyers. We are all about awareness and safety. We survive by awareness and safety. We are often the last out of the plane, thus making us the small faster canopies amongst larger and slower canopies in the landing pattern.

If your post is directed at the few hotshots out there who arrogantly fly how and where they want, with little to no regard for their own safety and the safety of others; who also happen to be wearing cameras…then GO FOR IT. I think the results may be interesting.

I’m sorry if I sound defensive, but I too am concerned about canopy collisions and as of late, am scared of the extremely limited, albeit reckless skydiving subculture.

Cool video. The planes you went out of were awesome, shame you got rained on though. Loved the fly by at the end; A10, two P38s what was at the front?

F-86 Sabre.

Talk about spinning down through the pattern!;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSyapUSyeyA

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Post the canopy portion of a recent video (helmet cam) - I want to see what you're looking at and how frequently you're looking around for traffic.

Jeff

Heres one of mine. 14 people on the load. 12 people jumping togeather. I was doing a rodeo to get a shot with my friends gopro. Most of the canopy flight is uneventful, but notice how everyone on the ground was safe as I'm coming in on final.

BTW, a Pilot is quite a snappy bitch at a 1.7 wl (see how fast a slight toggle turn adjusts heading). All in all it has a fantastic glide to get back from where we were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10vPZCLKHcA
Muff #5048

Few, if any, will post "look at me being an ass by not clearing my airpsace".

When your people play the videos at the DZ after the jumps, just sit back and watch and see who is doing what....AND LET THEM KNOW ABOUT IT!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239