lanceav8r

Skydiving and Traumatic Brain Injury

Ooh, I'm sorry Mr.SkyGod. I hope my squeaking has not offended thee???

Coming across as a smart ass at 22 jumps isn’t going to make you any friends. You discussion of a safer helmet makes you appear to be in favor of a “nanny state”. I don’t have a dog in this fight and I could care less. But you might keep in mind that in all aspects of life work, social and recreational there is usually a pecking order. Good or bad that is just a fact of life you gotta get used to.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

VB is a friend of mine. My joke was w/him, not you. English isn't his first, or second language, as I'd said. He simply misunderstood at first through translation. You've also missed half our exchanges as they happened via PMs.

There's nothing smart-assed in my posts. You simply missed that fact, & zeroed in a a quip you didn't understand. Nanny States are anathema to me. Not knowing me, you wouldn't know that. You, however, should have seen where I've posted others can wear whatever they please. You missed that, too.

SkyGods & Noobies...That's been addressed before, including in this very thread. Did you miss that, as well? By your yardstick, a SkyGod is someone who jumps, no? You don't jump anymore. I believe you've cited safety concerns as the reason. Are you getting testy in your armchair retirement? Trolls aside, some here are trying to have a productive discussion. I bring more than 22 jumps to the table, Sparkplug. I've ridden & raced motorcycles for about 27 years, & have worked in nursing for >15 years. If you think I've nothing to add, here. You're blinded by false ego. Being as this is Sunday morning. If you fired from the hip in an alcoholic Saturday night haze. I can understand.

Let me remind you and everyone else of the forum rules. If you or anyone else is unsure of what they are exactly, I recommend you take the time to review them before you post again. If anyone finds they are unable to post a response that is not emotionally charged or antagonistic in nature, I suggest you step away from the keyboard for awhile. Playground antics are not only discouraged, they are not allowed.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

VB is a friend of mine. My joke was w/him, not you. English isn't his first, or second language, as I'd said. He simply misunderstood at first through translation. You've also missed half our exchanges as they happened via PMs.

There's nothing smart-assed in my posts. You simply missed that fact, & zeroed in a a quip you didn't understand. Nanny States are anathema to me. Not knowing me, you wouldn't know that. You, however, should have seen where I've posted others can wear whatever they please. You missed that, too.

SkyGods & Noobies...That's been addressed before, including in this very thread. Did you miss that, as well? By your yardstick, a SkyGod is someone who jumps, no? You don't jump anymore. I believe you've cited safety concerns as the reason. Are you getting testy in your armchair retirement? Trolls aside, some here are trying to have a productive discussion. I bring more than 22 jumps to the table, Sparkplug. I've ridden & raced motorcycles for about 27 years, & have worked in nursing for >15 years. If you think I've nothing to add, here. You're blinded by false ego. Being as this is Sunday morning. If you fired from the hip in an alcoholic Saturday night haze. I can understand.

I’m impressed, nice résumé. Especially the 22 jumps.
;)
Sparky

i will have to disagree with your protec statement providing a lot of protection. ive ridden bmx bikes in competition for the last 8 years, and i cant count the number of concussions that come from the soft foam helmets that protec makes these days. a hard foam helmet will protect the best, but the soft foam deforms after even one hit and wont provide the same amount of protection as when it was new. sadly the protec helmets arent what they should be, and ive had quite a few concussions with them to learn that. they are very comfortable though and will protect against the odd bump and bang, but on a serious hit youre better off with a hard foam helmet of any kind.
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

In this case. I'll make an exception.

running you mouth

Date Sent:
May 15, 2011, 8:23 PM
You are an asshole. Maybe you should learn to take advice given for what it is a chance to pick up a little knowledge. As far as what you do other than skydiving, who gives a shit. The fact that you hide behind a blank profile tells a great deal about the type of person you are.

I'm not whining. Others asked me to out dipshits who send PMs like this. I chose not to before, but made an exception. He talked smack. He got decidedly called on it. The Truth Hurt. He didn't like it, & got pissy (again). If you've got something productive to add to the discussion? You're welcome. If this is all you got. Crawl down the same beer hole w/your friend, sparkplug...

In this case. I'll make an exception.

running you mouth

Date Sent:
May 15, 2011, 8:23 PM
You are an asshole. Maybe you should learn to take advice given for what it is a chance to pick up a little knowledge. As far as what you do other than skydiving, who gives a shit. The fact that you hide behind a blank profile tells a great deal about the type of person you are.

In response to the following. At least I took it to PM. Now what, you want to take it to the alley. :P

In the real world I would pull your fuck head off.

i will have to disagree with your protec statement providing a lot of protection. ive ridden bmx bikes in competition for the last 8 years, and i cant count the number of concussions that come from the soft foam helmets that protec makes these days. a hard foam helmet will protect the best, but the soft foam deforms after even one hit and wont provide the same amount of protection as when it was new. sadly the protec helmets arent what they should be, and ive had quite a few concussions with them to learn that. they are very comfortable though and will protect against the odd bump and bang, but on a serious hit youre better off with a hard foam helmet of any kind.

I think everyone agrees that to protect your brain, a hard foam helmet would be better. What some of us are saying is that there is a point of diminishing returns- a helmet that has a large amount of padding to protect your melon may interfere with your ability to see under canopy. Not suffering a TBI is important, but if you significantly increase your odds of a blown aorta due to impact after a canopy collision, then your brain being intact is moot.

Maybe next weekend I can get a few helmets out and do some testing on field of vision, since no one seems to want to do that. I'm interested in there effect on field of vision now.....

Jump more, post less!

>i will have to disagree with your protec statement providing a lot of protection.

I have seen several cases where a Pro-Tec absolutely saved someone's life, including one where part of the plane penetrated the helmet and went 1/4 inch into a student's head, They're not perfect, but they are very good protection - especially for the price.

>but the soft foam deforms after even one hit and wont provide the same
>amount of protection as when it was new.

Agreed there.

>i will have to disagree with your protec statement providing a lot of protection.

I have seen several cases where a Pro-Tec absolutely saved someone's life, including one where part of the plane penetrated the helmet and went 1/4 inch into a student's head, They're not perfect, but they are very good protection - especially for the price.

Agreed there.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding some terminology here, isn't a hard foam helmet something like a standard motorcycle helmet?

...and if so aren't they basically a one hard hit and done, sort of impact protection?

I was always told to ditch a motorcycle skid lid if going down with it caused any kind of visible damage to the shell.

What I consider a soft foam helmet is more along the line of a ProTec, which seems to rebound the foam when compressed.

Am I off the line here?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Twardo this is not at you you were just the last post. I was thinking, and someone mentioned once already, hockey helmets. I'm as new as it gets so be gentle on me here, just throwing out an idea for the discussion. I play hockey and I know they have made some great strides in head protection in the last few years. I realize you would want to add ear protection and maybe a different chin strap, but other than that they are lightweight not bulky and offer pretty good impact protection. Just a simple thought from a simple mind!

Twardo this is not at you you were just the last post. I was thinking, and someone mentioned once already, hockey helmets. I'm as new as it gets so be gentle on me here, just throwing out an idea for the discussion. I play hockey and I know they have made some great strides in head protection in the last few years. I realize you would want to add ear protection and maybe a different chin strap, but other than that they are lightweight not bulky and offer pretty good impact protection. Just a simple thought from a simple mind!

Hockey helmets were quite common in the sport before ProTecs came along, I have several up in the loft.

http://www.dropzone.com/photos/Detailed/Personal/Joe_Smith_Parachutes._Would_YOU_buy_a_parachute_from_this_man__105815.html

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

yeah i get what you guys are saying its a hard thing to determine because we also have to deal with the opening shock and cervical spine injuries due to a heavy helmet would probably increase in a hard opening. protecs are nice for the price and do give you some piece of mind but i feel like some people over estimate the protection they offer.
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

Agreed there.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding some terminology here, isn't a hard foam helmet something like a standard motorcycle helmet?

...and if so aren't they basically a one hard hit and done, sort of impact protection?

I was always told to ditch a motorcycle skid lid if going down with it caused any kind of visible damage to the shell.

What I consider a soft foam helmet is more along the line of a ProTec, which seems to rebound the foam when compressed.

Am I off the line here?

No. You are right "On the line" AFAIK. That's the exact same thing I was taught.
The hard foam in M/C helmets is designed to deform in an impact. It isn't designed to rebound.

It's a "One And Done" deal.
The manufacturers all say (and so do a lot of "experts) any impact, including dropping it from more than a couple feet up, will potentially damage the helmet enough that it should be discarded and replaced.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Agreed!
I retired my Protec helmet after I suffered a concussion in a plane crash three years ago.

However, if I were to resume wearing a Protec, I would buy one of those fancy, hard foam, liner kits from Oregon Aero.

Latley I have been wearing a hard shell helmet made by Sky Systems. It has better penetration protection than a Protec, but is not as good at absorbing energy. The primary reason I wear it is that it is lower-profile below the ears, reducing the nubmer of times my RSL snags on the edge of my helmet.