Muppetdog

Ship With Reserve

I just got a used Mirage container and all it had was a reserve in it. The guy who owned it last had not jumped it for a year so I knew it would need a reserve repack. I am going to send it to Mirage for them to take some embroidery off of the ring covers and put some other stuff on it and maybe resize it. I had never seen how a reserve worked so I deployed it in my living room (cool!!). Any way how should I go about getting the reserve un attached from the container so I can send it to mirage?

Thanks,
Mark

Any way how should I go about getting the reserve un attached from the container so I can send it to mirage?

Disconnect the reserve canopy from the reserve risers (it'll either be connection via soft-links or hard-links) and carefully try not to mess up the line groups too much.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I guess the appropriate thing to do would be to call them and ask them what they think. I mean in theory (in a non advisory position), I would think that inspecting and "assembling" a canopy for jumping is a riggers job, but I wonder if in fact there exists any rules for disassembling one's own reserve canopy. If you find anything out from Mirage, post it here. Good question.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

Ooops. Where were you just a little bit ago.

Mark

Hehe...make the best out of it- spread out your reserve, inspect it carefully and try to figure out how to properly attach the lines back to the links.
Have your rigger inspect it- worst thing that can happen is he'll have to do it again, but you'll understand your gear a little better.

I guess the appropriate thing to do would be to call them and ask them what they think. I mean in theory (in a non advisory position), I would think that inspecting and "assembling" a canopy for jumping is a riggers job, but I wonder if in fact there exists any rules for disassembling one's own reserve canopy. If you find anything out from Mirage, post it here. Good question.

I've always "assembled" my reserve to my container. Be sure to tell the rigger what you did. It's not hard and you might learn something about your rig. Ask Lisa to sell you a book on rigging. :P

Dont... fixing some one elses mistakes is the one thing that frustrates me rigging. Just tell your rigger what you did and let him/her fix the problem correctly. They are going to have to spend the time to straighten and untwist the lines already...

Just make sure you kick them an extra $10-20 for their time in addition to their fees.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Just make sure you kick them an extra $10-20 for their time in addition to their fees.

What phree said.

Also... in the future you might want to not take advice on rigging your gear given over the internet without checking it with someone you know and trust first.

Make sure the rigger knows, too -- that will let him or her plan their time and your delivery date accordingly. It's one thing to assemble and pack a reserve. It's another to go find the book to make sure that the lines are all on in the right order from scratch.

And a rigger who's been warned is much more likely to just roll their eyes and laugh about it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Dont... fixing some one elses mistakes is the one thing that frustrates me rigging. Just tell your rigger what you did and let him/her fix the problem correctly. They are going to have to spend the time to straighten and untwist the lines already...

I'm sorry but I disagree, if your rigger has a problem with you attempting to rig your own reserve find a new rigger. Are you afraid someone might learn something. To many people in this sport do not know anything about the gear they jump. The Jumper did mess up a bit by taking it off the links. I would not advise him to go it w/o a watchful eye, BUT it's already removed and it needs repacked anyway.

edit to add. I would do it at my dz during the week when things are slow. and be ready to pay the rigger for time to fix and tell me what I did right and wrong

I'm sorry but I disagree, if your rigger has a problem with you attempting to rig your own reserve find a new rigger. Are you afraid someone might learn something.

I think this statement pretty much shows the ignorance abotu rigging that is rampant in skydiving.

Of course we are not afraid of people learning something. Riggers earn their tickets through what amounts to apprenticeship. If we didn't teach people our jobs there would be no more riggers.

As for a jumper rigging their reserves /unsupervised/, yes I have a problem with that. It is a very clear violation of the FAR's. The FAR's specifically state that only three types of people are cleared to work with reserves, 1. The manufactuers, 2. Riggers, and 3. people training to be riggers who are are under the /direct supervision/ of a certificated rigger. That's it, no one else.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

As for a jumper rigging their reserves /unsupervised/, yes I have a problem with that. It is a very clear violation of the FAR's. The FAR's specifically state that only three types of people are cleared to work with reserves, 1. The manufactuers, 2. Riggers, and 3. people training to be riggers who are are under the /direct supervision/ of a certificated rigger. That's it, no one else.

Damn! In that case, I'll admit ignorance about intercultural differences and apologise for my advice. ;)

Thats cool, I will let my rigger know that I f'ed it up, I Hope he will be pritty cool about it. I'm so new at all of this it will probably take a while before I stop pissing people off.

Thanks for the help,
MD

I hope your rigger has a good sense of humor. Personally, I think this whole thread is hilarious. I'd hook the reserve back up for you for a few extra bucks. That's a small cost for a lesson learned.

BTW: I'd rather start this job from scratch than straighten out someone else's mistakes.

S49

Thats cool, I will let my rigger know that I f'ed it up, I Hope he will be pritty cool about it. I'm so new at all of this it will probably take a while before I stop pissing people off.

Hey don't kick yourself too hard. You didn't do anything that many people haven't done before.

Take it as a learning experience. Lots of jumpers have never seen their reserve, much less taken it off the risers. Now you have.

If you can, hang around and watch while your rigger straightens things up and packs it for you. If your rigger is cool with talking while s/he works then ask a lot of questions. It's worth the time and possibly extra cost - you'll learn a lot about your gear and in this sport knowing your gear can possibly save your life.

I agree, don't be too hard on yourself.....lol
Reassembling your reserve isn't like building a house, it's not that big of a deal. (Especially, if your rigger, like me, can just hang a canopy from the ceiling of the hangar! Makes line groups muchos de easy to reattach.

The most important thing here is not necessarily that you removed the links persay, it's what that says about you as a skydiver, and that seems to be you have an above average interest in our sport and "how things work" and I think that is definitely a positive. You should be seeking out all the knowledge you can about the gear you use, it will give you more piece of mind in the sport, knowing how things work. And it seems that that is your mind set. Good stuff.

--

Lisa, I have a question for you. (I am a newbie rigger, w/ under 50 repacks). The above FAR states that only the manufacture, a rigger or a person working under a rigger can "rig" a reserve and container system for jumping. Pretty clear, no grey area. But......do you think in a general sense that disassembling a reserve would also fall under the FAR as "rigging" in terms of who can and can't do it? I mean a fun jumper that owns his reserve and removes it, isnt really "rigging" in the sense that they are not planning on jumping it. I mean, in theory, if someone does that, and gives it back to a rigger to reinstall, the rigger would inspect the canopy for any damage and for its "jumpability"
prior to installing/sealing it. Within that context, I don't think a fun jumper that owns thier own resevre is violating any FAR by disassembling thier reserve. What's your .02? Muchos gracias amiga!

--

When you take it all to your rigger, for 'assembly', inspection and re-pack... take a LOT of beer!;) Seriously, when you do take it to your rigger, ask if you can watch! That, should be a good learning experience and should give yousome in-sight as to a rigger's work.

Chuck

Gee whiz, don't pontificate FARs. There's a similar FAR about the main (105.43(a) TBE), but we all know there's many packers out there that aren't supervised by anyone. If I bring you an unpacked reserve for I & R, you don't know if I've worked on it or not. You still have to do a full inspection before you pack and close it with your seal. At that point you've taken full responsibility for it's airworthiness, regardless of how it got that way.

Bob