donovan

sabre cracker! openings

I've got a sabre 150. I've done about 150 jumps on it and have done some jumps on a stiletto, ace, diabolo and spectra. Without a doubt the sabre certainly lets you know it's open(without much notice!). I wrote to PD and they suggested a bigger slider (21"X31") should solve my problem. Anyone out their had a sabre and noticed the openings are softer if you've used a larger slider?

I have an original Sabre 150... even with a large PC for the wingsuit jumps... Opens fast but never brutally... I pack mine with 4 cells rolled in the center cell each side (don't know if that's very clear...)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

There's definitely been posts on the larger slider. Also, how are you packing it? Are you packing it per the manufacturer's recommendation? Is it just when you pack it or all the time? I used to blame hard openings on my canopy until I started jumping a Sabre2 - then I realized it was me. All the said knowing it's common knowledge that Sabre's will give frequent hard opening so it probably ISN'T you.;)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

I have put exactly 5 jumps on my Sabre (just got it this weekend). So I don't have enough experience to make a judgement call. It opened just fine though. . .I did not split-roll the nose - just kinda pushed it back towards the center and made sure that there was LOTS of the slider sticking out in front. We shall see. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

A bigger slider, which has been noted numerous times, is a solution. I had a Sabre120 with a pocket slider and that made it snivel 800 ft every time, a rigger can put one on your current slider. The second Sabre120 I owned was alright, I rolled the heck out of the nose (4 cells on each side toward the center), and when i quartered the slider I'd pull 75% of it out toward me (toward the nose). Then wrap the tail and all was good. Every canopy's different, good luck in taming yours.

A pocket slider is a small ram-air pocket that is sewn to the leading edge of your slider. As the slider comes down the lines, the pocket inflates, slowing the slider down and softening your opening.

I prefer pocket-sliders over simply getting a "bigger" slider...unless you know of a bunch of people who have made the exact same change (ie- putting a 170 slider on a 150) without any complication, I'd be leary of doing it.

In reference to the original post, the dimensions of the slider are very important. If it's too wide, it allows too much of the bottom skin of the canopy to get air on it early and can actually make your openings harder as a result.

Some of the original FX and VX canopies had this problem. We actually ended up putting smaller sliders on them and they worked much, much better.

I'm not suggesting you get a smaller slider, just be aware that a bigger one might not solve the problem...a pocket slider most certainly will because you're adding drag without allow the lines to spread out any more.

Since Sabre canopies have been beating people up for many years, and since PD has done quite a bit of research (that I'm aware of) into them, they may very well have a slider of different dimension that will work for you. A pocket slider will, most likely be cheaper and faster to get though. Any middle sized (or bigger) loft should be able to make and install it for you. Good luck!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I suggest getting a larger slider from PD. I had consistantly swift openings on my Sabre 170. After eliminating as many packing variables as possible, I finally decided a larger slider was needed. As a result, my openings are soft, but don't snivel. I can now watch my canopy open. Even doing hop-n-pops it opens in a satisfactory way. Good luck!
-Rap

When you say hard opening, do you mean like as bad as student gear or what?
My first and only canopy is a sabre and I have only jumped student gear otherwise so my judgement is limited, however the only time I can think of a real hard opening is when i have rushed the pack job.
Now I always take my time even if it means missing a load.
Having said that i have noticed the odd violent turning dive on opening. But that is another issue

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

When you say hard opening, do you mean like as bad as student gear or what?

Hard is when the opening shock takes your breath away, you see stars, check to see if your shoes are still on, Hurts like hell.

You get a "hard opening" you'll never forget it, and try and figure out how to keep it from happening again.

Unless your into pain and have a short neck.

R.I.P.

Yep hard openings in my case here is when i'm spending more money on chiropractic treatment than i do jumping!!! I am pro now at grabbing my risers as i feel myself going upright when my chute first begins to open. I have like 3 millseconds to time this right! Seriously tho I have had a kink in my neck from two bad openings. Most are way too fast compared to the stiletto, ace etc. I've tried everything and I even pay my 5 bucks for an experienced pack job, but even then it's a cracker occasionly. I'm going ahead with the pocket sewn on the slider. Thanks guys for all your tips and advice. I'l let you know how it goes.

:)
I love flying my canopy, but i got tired of having the
*%#* knocked out of me. The finla straw was about two months ago, had a quick, hard opeing, my leg straps & chest straps slipped, i actually thought i was coming out of my container. So on the next Monday, I called PD & they sent me a 170 slider, what a difference...

I second Rapper's advice on getting the factory larger slider. I waited to see what happen to Rap before getting one for myself ;) No use having two of us paying for repacks!! It really does tame the openings, but I am thinking about trying a pocket slider as I would like to have a bit of a snivel!

Jump Safe

Kent
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!