georgiaskydiver

Skydiving While Pregnant

I have just learned I am pregnant, and my doctor has grounded me. I think this is whuffo bullshit! Can anyone out there please let me know your experiences with skydiving while pregnant, good or bad, and how far into your pregnancy you jumped.

If there are any medical types out there, I would love to have your input as to any unique risks to the baby that skydiving might pose.

Thanks!

Marci.

P.S. Since I won't be downsizing anytime soon: Brand new Spectre 120 for sale. Purple and black with hot pink ribs. Never even got to take it out of the bag! [:/]

i have heard of serval that skydived through their pregnantsi.I dont really know anything about it.Just rember your life dosnt stop becourse your pregnent,im sure junior could take a couple of jumps if both of you are healthy.B|

Just be as safe as posible

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I believe Jessie Farrington skydived most of the way through her pregnancies. I overheard people discussing this at the DZ and from what I heard, it's not a problem. Just jump until you feel that you can't anymore. But DO NOT go by what I say, wait for the oppinion of a professional. Sounds to me like this is definately whuffo BS

I had about 950 jumps when I got pregnant many moons ago. My first advice is to make sure your obstetrician honestly understands the risks, and honestly understands you. Because, if his reaction is just NO, then she's pretty useless as a resource unless you're actually going to quit jumping.

But if you just ignore your OB, then you lose the advantage of his expertise if there are special situations with your pregnancy. And that's why you're paying her all that money besides catching the baby on the way out).

If your doctor tells you that in YOUR CASE, because of (xxx -- whatever might apply), you should not jump, then it's time to listen. Because there ARE times when people shouldn't. But that's why you need an OB who doesn't have a knee-jerk reaction.

I jumped until about 5 months; my OB (experienced with jumpers) said I should probably quit at 5 1/2, but I really felt like quitting at about 5 (it's HOT in Texas in the summer). She also advised me to take down whatever I was doing one notch; don't try anything new, and don't be embarrassed to sit out a jump. As your pregnancy progresses, it can do things to your coordination -- this is an individual thing, so it's just a CAN, not a WILL.

If your coordination is affected, you REALLY want to listen to your body. Because you will be heavier than you are used to being, and your center of gravity will be different from the usual. You'll probably feel more debilitated by the heat. You'll need to eat and drink more regularly.

I went into labor while I was helping teach an ICC, and had a healthy 9 1/2 lb boy from an unexpected C-section. I was jumping again 6 weeks later, and went on a ski vacation a month after that. So it worked. My son is healthy, and extremely good-looking and intelligent :)
Wendy W.
(there are a lot of good threads on both rec.skydiving and probably in here about the topic, too)

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

First off, congrats! :)
I've never jumped pregnant, but I know quite a few people who have - one of the women on the JFTC jumps was carrying a passenger. If you've got a normal pregnancy and no complicating factors, I'd think you should be able to jump at least until you're showing. You may need to slow down a bit; five jumps in a day may be too much for your body to handle right now.

Besides the health related issues (for you and the baby), you'll want to think about what might happen if you are injured or killed jumping while pregnant.

There was a good article about this in Parachutist a couple years ago.

Just remember that when you are pregnant, your body goes through a lot of changes and it's a lot of work to carry that baby around. As a result, you're going to be more tired than you've ever been in your life. Take the fatigue factor into consideration before you jump. Hopefully you won't suffer from nausea, because that would be a whole other issue to deal with also.

If it were me, I would definitely stop jumping when I started showing. It's only 6 months out of your life that you wouldn't be jumping. A lot of people wait that long during the winter months. I would much rather err on the side of caution then possibly have something happen, like a hard landing, that would make me lose the baby. I'd never be able to live with the guilt from that.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have no experience, but here's a few thoughts:

What happens if you get a hard opening?
Make sure that your landings are nice and soft. Perhaps fly a low wingloading?
Perhaps it would be best to avoid bigways, where you could get knocked around?
If those C182s feel cramped now...
This is reaching, but the wind pressure on your stomach might have an effect.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Hi! My first child has 45 jumps inutero... However, this is after 18 years and 4500 jumps completely solo. I quit at 20 weeks, mostly because it was August in Arizona (canopy landings suck) and I went on light duty at work. Hard to justify not being able to do my firefighter/paramedic job but still skydive.
I was very careful about the conditions that I would jump in and opted to borrow a larger canopy for a few jumps as well. I also did not make as many in a day... definately a listen to your body thing.
I did not tell my mid-wife that I was skydiving. I did ask about doing "adventure sports" if I'd already been doing them for a while. She didnt recommend water skiing or horseback riding. (I guess skydiving never occurred to her).
I'm now pregnant with my second child. First is 15mos old. I'm 15 weeks now. This one only has two jumps- due to various reasons, difficulty in finding a babysitter for the dropzone, schedule conflicts, and I was very fatigued and sick with morning sickness (all day) my first trimester. When I had the opportunity to jump, I didnt always feel well enough. Another factor is that I'm heavier than I want to be from my first pregnancy. So I'm already maxing out my 135. I'm cool with that in a non-pregnant state, but am now much more protective. The good news is that I will have new gear when this child is born and will be able to jump sooner!
The main thing is, you must listen to your body. I don't know that I'd go against what my ob said (which is why I didnt tell her in the first place), but if she changes her mind, listen to what your body tells you. Gauge the conditions and don't jump in anything but the perfect conditions. I organized the Montana Women's state records when I was carrying Sierra. I didnt make too many a day, and I didnt jump in the winds that I otherwise would have. You have to dive within your comfort level.
Good luck. Pm me if you have any questions - or just to let me know who it's going!
Lori

Marci,

There are several jumpers at Skydive Atlanta who jumped while pregnant. Dee Thomasson is a nurse who jumped quite a lot while pregnant. Angelika Heitzman (sp) is another local jumper. They could probably give you some good one on one advice. Call 1-800-276-DIVE and I'm sure you can get a number for either of them.

Congrats and good luck.

Lisa

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

SkyCat - you're right - Marianne's son has 313 jumps! She told us that her doctor said that since her body under normal conditions has been skydiving, she could continue. If she hadn't been doing it, then she could not start. I think she said she jumped until her 6th month. Perhaps she'll reply here.
Best of luck and just do what feels right and take your doctor's advice when they are properly educated about this sport.

-------------------------
"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."
David Whitley (Orlando Sentinel)

I guess there aren't any studies on this since the long-time veterans tell me that it was harder to get to skydive back in the early-to-mid-80s, and so there are fewer women as well as men who have been jumping long enough to have children coming of legal age nowadays.

If a baby has had 313 jumps in utero, what happens with not only college savings, but also saving for his/her new rig? In other words, is it possible that the kid will grow up with a strong inclination to jump, and then expect the parents to help out (maybe not even knowing why he/she feels this huge urge)? I'd put on my green eyeshade and hold on to my wallet if I were you.;)
|

I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I know at least 3 people who were jumping in the 70's (I think) and 80's (definitely) while significantly pregnant. I was one of them, I had a baby in 1983.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Lisa - it was that trip to Hawaii in early January, without the baby.... No more trips to hawaii... I'm too old!
We're very happy and this baby was planned, as with last time, just didnt think it would happen on the first try!
I'm going to call you at work in the next few weeks - need to get my new gear on order!
Lori:)

we have gathered a huge amount of electronic data on parachute openings using dataloggers, load links, and accelerometers. i have recorded peak forces on hard openings in the worst case exceeding 50g's.

A hard opening, (not to mention a hard landing) could definately cause a misscarrige. you will have to decide if the risk is worth it.

ps. congratulations!!!!

sincerely,

dan
atair aerodynamics
www.extremefly.com
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Awhile back, a friend of mine, already a jumper with a few hundred jumps under her belt, wanted to go up and have us help dump her Grandad's ashes in freefall... thing is, at the time she was the better part of 6 months pregnant. The jump was made and it was one of the better ash dives I was on with her dumping out of the middle after letting go of the ashes. Problem is she broke her leg on landing. Scared the crap out of her, her mom, her dad (also a jumper that was also on the load), friends and family that were also there... and didn't impress her husband much when he got the call... he wasn't there. *sigh* Us up-jumpers that went up on the ash load with her caught a lot of flak for letting her go up. Good thing is it didn't go any worse then it did. Hindsight is always 20/20, I wish we would have stepped up and said that this wasn't a good idea and that she should wait a few months until after he little one had been born. Grandpa wasn't in any rush and he didn't like flying and didn't think much of skydiving as she had explained to us before the jump. :S Same thing, different words, if ever faced with a similar situation in the future, I'd advise against gals jumping while pregnant... just my 2 cents on women jumping while pregnant... bad plan.

I have 4 kids and I continued to skydive while I was pregnant with each of them up until my 5th to 7th month. My OB knew I was a skydiver. He was/is a pilot. He told me to do what I would normally do but didn't want to know anything about what that was because, although he didn't agree with my skydiving, he understood that he couldn't medically tell me it would hurt anything. He left that up to me to judge for myself. I had been skydiving for over 5 years before I got pregnant with my first so I was an experienced D license holder. I wouldn't recommend it for someone that wasn't really experienced. But then again, that is your decision.

Just saw you in Parachuting with your kids this month. Being a guy it is not a subject I've ever thought about. The article was thought provoking though and I applaud your educated decision to jump. And as a father of a 13 year old son and 10 year old daughter I think your kid's look so damn cute in their jumpsuits in the published photo of you. Kudos.
Ordinary's..... just not good enough today.

I am teaching about pregnancy and teaching students about risks. They thought No to skydiving all together while pregnant. Terrible thought! ANyway do those of you who have experienced pregnancy and skydiving simultaneous have any pictures? Thank You
I would probably be putting a few pics on my powerpoint presentation.
Thanks again
Lisa Poarch Blackwelder Tyler Tx