SabreDave

Associated Dangers of BASE......

So, we all know BASE is a dangerous game but sometimes getting to and from the exit point can have some "unusual" dangers with big teeth;)

This is mama-bear grizzly, yearling-bear is in the trees!

These are from Sunday at our local big wall, nice jump 587 and Crwper!!
SabreDave

"our local big wall"

What a wonderful thing to be able to say. Great pics! :)

And most of us just bitch about park rangers....

I think I'd be torn between being scared shitless, and in awe at the beauty of nature. Nah, I'd be more scared shitless....

Ganja

Last winter we were at an object driving to the hike in point. Just before we arrived at the parking area we saw 4 black bear cubs run across the front of the car and motor up a steep hill like it was nothing, heading directly to the hiking path.

We decided to party for the rest of that night instead.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

That close to a mother bear and still made a clean getaway?? wow, i guess it was your lucky day or she was in a good mood. :o or the pics are zoomed in alot and she never detected you at all?
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

that's so awesome.
you gotta love this sport.
its the trip as much as the jump.
blaine

After a leap from the Captain to get my BASE #, I ran into mama bear 30' away and standing on her hind legs with a few cubs nearby. Adrenaline and a little luck kept me from getting mauled and allowed me to make a phone call a few hours later to Jean Boenish.

It sucks to suddenly not be at the top of the food chain...

Nice pics of your bear, SabreDave. Sometimes getting to the object is more dangerous than jumping.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Holy shit that fat ass hairy thing looks like my wife!

Sorry, I don't have the pic on this computer right now but I'll try to post some of my own bear pics later. I think this is the best thread I've seen for a while. Who else has some to share?

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Who else has been chased by big things with teeth? I'll post a bounty for the first person to post a picture of them selves being chased by a Bengal tiger as they run with their base rig. Stash bag to the winner. No photo shop.
In fact, a stash bag to any one that caries a bigger rife then me when jumping base. 3 1/2 in twelve gage but I have a 50 cal on the way for next year.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

Great. And he said he was "just going up to renew the passport". :S

:D

That close to a mother bear and still made a clean getaway?? wow, i guess it was your lucky day or she was in a good mood. :o or the pics are zoomed in alot and she never detected you at all?

I was close enough to have my heart racing as much as on exit, yet far enough away as to not be really stupid;) Of course I never got between her and the yearling which was big enough to be scary by itself. When she was still 60-80 yards away I started making "some" noise so she would know I was there. She was not concerned by my presence thankfully. This was first thing in the morning but on the way down 5-6 hours later there she was again right on the side of the trail and that was way too close for me. Luckily she ran as soon as we rounded the corner. There is a bumper crop of Buffalo berries this year so ast least they aren't hungry!
SHe sure is a nice looking bear and I am glad to have seen her. It has been a few years since I was that close to a Grizz.
Now, we just have to pray that she moves on so they don't close the area before it's normal closing date!
SabreDave

Guess what we ran into crossing the river to our local big wall, the Trollwall... My god that was some scary shit! Almost took my leg of too, but managed to finish the hike and made beautifull jump! No zoom used taking the photo.. Be carefull out there..

Have you seen the ABA vid where Jason FH and Fast Al make a jump and land in the pond with the sign that says "Warning: Crocodiles" or something like that?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Incredible Shots Dave! What an awesome place!

I am very concerned for the safety of this bear. The stunt man from the movie "Super Troopers" is in the area. The bear is in very serious danger.

no where near as scary as a bear, but one of our B's requires crossing a 6 lane highway and 3 third rails of the subway. plus it's in the ghetto, so sometimes the elevator ride includes some pretty scarry characters. They just put a spikey wrought iron fence down the center of the LZ wich is bordered by a river famous for dangerous currents and those damn high voltage 3rd rails.

yes, sometimes the trip in is as fun as the jump..... But I really like running from the cops too. Nothing better than a good chase with a clean get away to get you buzzin'.

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

I knew it would be one of those knowing where you like to play. Have you read ICE by Tristan Jones. As I recall you had when we spoke last. He killed a bear by shooting a flare down the bears throat as it charged him on the deck of his small boat.

They are bad! You are nuts! (but we knew that...)

jon

No. I do have another book by the same name but it's just a colection of exerts by Clint willis. Good for finding other books you might like to read.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

awesome stuff! How long time did you spend on the ice and what kind of conditions where there?

Thanks for sharing

Benjamín