mtnlion667

skydiving new base canopies?!

Recently at my home DZ. Which used to have a rep for being quite hardcore and lawless. there are several people who think that they want to get into base. They've bought brand new gear. and I mean top of the line shiite here. but instead of taking it off of a fixed object, like I've offered to bring them to.A very friendly freestander w/ a large landing area, during the day even. they've opted to go through the trouble of building a Dbag to attach to a student rental rig which they then take out of the otter on a H&P. Is this common? And if so, what the hell is this world coming to? I kind of assumed that this sport required filters to keep those that aren't ready out of it. And wouldn't the willingness to accept the risk of a fixed object jump be a good filter? Granted they will probably end up doing a dozen jumps in there life, all potato and BD, but aren't those still BASE jumps. There is an inherent risk involved in this sport. Shouldn't that be accepted and acknowledged from the beginning? Does this happen often?

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

Let me make sure I'm getting this straight...

A number of skydivers are jumping BASE canopies out of a plane to prepare for a future BASE career, and you're saying they should have the balls to go straight to a fixed object instead?

I didn't think it was even possible to be too slow in preparing for a BASE career.

Next thing you know, somebody will give you shit for even having made some skydives before you started BASE jumping. Lame...

At the risk of being hooked by a troller here. I'll state that not only is that common practice but it is also just common sense. In fact, it is written into our owner's manual as a recommendation. There are two reasons:

Parachutes get assembled inspected and placed into plastic bags for delivery. It really doesn't matter how good a quality system it was manufactured under, until it opens for the first time, it is nothing more than a bundle of fabric and string. Why make that first jump a single parachute jump?

Secondly, why not get a realistic amount of canopy time under your new parachute before being forced to operate it in the unforgiving environment of a BASE jump? A single skydive is equivalent to a least 10 BASE jumps worth of flight time.
Besides planning and judgment, canopy skills are what BASE is is all about.

Sure, back in the day, we all did many things that weren't so well thought through. I'd like to think that in thirty years of taking risks we figured out the ones that were unnecessary.

Adam Filippino
Consolidated Rigging
crmojo.com

alright then, I figured i was just being retarded and giving them an unnecessarilly hard time. still seems to lack balls to me though. where's the sense of adventure?:P

Hunter S. Thompson

people like this are loved by those who make base gear they buy brand new shit and never use it except for bridge day. just so they can tell everyone there base jumpers. the only way to solve this problem is to borrow there gear froim them with out telling them and never give it back have good base gear go to waste, is a sin when theres kids out there jumping cruzlite's raven and furys that are actually base jumpers
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

Seems you are damned if you try and prepare properly and damned if you dont.....
I'll send it back to you with 'what the hell is this world coming to ?'

I'm sure you will agree that every persons reasons/motivations/enjoyment in BASE and getting into it would show great variance.

I dont think its fair to have a go at those who think about it differently to you......and at least they will have a little bit more experience on their canopy for when they do their first BASE jump......and that cant be a bad thing can it?
The first time I BASE jumped was the first time I had jumped a BASE canopy....everything went OK but asked if I could have practiced on that canopy in more forgiving enviroment first...I would say...yes.

I mean there's more than enough adventure in doing your first BASE jumps anyway isnt there? without having to worry about how much control over your canopy you have.

Live and let live....

but asked if I could have practiced on that canopy in more forgiving enviroment first...I would say...yes.

There's been an accuracy rig offered without hire charge for a while on UK base board. Has had 265 and bigger BASE canopies freepacked into it. Contributions to help keep reserve in date always welcome.

big-up the cartman handle!

It didnt seem like a lack of balls to me going through the door of the otter with my d bag in my hands throwing it into the air.

You know me and know my canopy experience. My lack of balls has never been what you have said about my flight experience.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

What's up with the extra d-bag and (I'm assuming) using the base canopy as a 3rd canopy?

Why not just find a rig (student rigs are pefect for this) that is big enough for your base canopy?

Then freepack it into that, that way you also get to practice folding the canopy without messing up your packjob.

Just strikes me as plain stupid not to. Even knowing the gear is tried and tested + being familiar with it, base has its risks - as you point out. Why add another?

Acknowledging the risks is good. Not taking the opportunity to reduce them isn't.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

To get experience flying a BASE canopy I cutaway my main, hooked the risers of a used Mojo280 to my rig, packed the canopy using clamps and bungees, placed it in a Publix shopping bag, rode to 3,500 with the bag on my lap, hopped out with my back to the relative wind, ripped the bag, threw the canopy away from me, and hoped for the best.

This worked amazingly well three times....the fourth and final time I got distracted by numerous questions from bystanders during the pack job and accidentally left the slider down. [:/]

The instant I threw the canopy away from me I saw my mistake and in less than a second I was hanging the harness moaning in pain and wondering why those little birds were flying around my head B| :(

I have a BJ 310 and it would not fit in our srudent rigs (easily) So I made a d bag bigger and put a BOC pouch on it and went out of the otter on my back and deployed the dbag directly. I also wanted to wear a harness that was comfortable, more like the one I will be using when I base.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Wow. One of the k-rad mega kEwL base jumpers. Always wondered what one looked like.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

the really easy way is to jump wearing both your baserig and skydiving rig

the added advantage is that you get to test jump your complete base rig

big-up the cartman handle!

Respect mah authoritah!!!

I bought this rig off Sam couple years ago, it is very pretty (silver with lilac trim) but keeps bad company. :)

the really easy way is to jump wearing both your baserig and skydiving rig

the added advantage is that you get to test jump your complete base rig

That sounds very interesting....would you care to post how you do/did that......practically?

They've bought brand new gear. and I mean top of the line shiite here. but instead of taking it off of a fixed object, like I've offered to bring them to.A very friendly freestander w/ a large landing area, during the day even. they've opted to go through the trouble of building a Dbag to attach to a student rental rig which they then take out of the otter on a H&P. Is this common?

maybe they hate climbing. they'd rather specialize in real low stuff.

they aren't checking the canopies, but the D-BAG! ;)
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

I didn't know it was Sam's. That's funny.

...it is very pretty (silver with lilac trim) but keeps bad company. :)

Are you referring to my good self? Never. :P

(well, certainly not now ;))
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

these craker ass honkeys need to learn how to fly there tarps or stay on the golf corse i am going to see my vodoo shaymen to put spells on all the white devil crakers that dont like there tarps with string and degrade them by flicking planes its crap i tell u total crap there all kaffers by he way has anyone seen my flash gordon head band i lost it in a game of rusian rulet
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

Everybody here obviously thinks I was ragging on the skyjumpers. not the case. In fact i was checking myself and my opinion, and isn't this the best place to get set straight?
right on, glad everybody is so safety conscious. good for you, to each his own, and all that jazz.
Johnny, I wish you wouldn't take offense. you were part of one of the ballsiest groundcrew missions I've ever needed after all. I would never insult you.
Hey JP, who the hell are you to chime in? Didn't you sell your base rig as you were moving to within an hour of NYC? Why don't you step up to the plate and let us take you on a man's jump if you wan't to talk shit? (There's obviously plenty of unused base gear to borrow at the ranch now) how's a sub 200' tower sound, maybe a nice hefty slider off delay into NYC traffic? Untill you've out done me, I am mega kEwL........ bro.

Hunter S. Thompson

...Why don't you step up to the plate and let us take you on a man's jump ...

Why don't you take your skydiver attitude back to the dropzone, where it belongs?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

"I'm sorry I had a fight in the middle of your black panther party."

Why don't you step up to the plate and let us take you on a man's jump if you wan't to talk shit?

Because I'm obviously a big pussy.

Why don't you take your skydiver attitude back to the dropzone, where it belongs?

dork police.:|