cpoxon

Oregon National Guardsman Shoots For World Record In Idaho

From KBCI 2 Boise, Idaho

Oregon National Guardsman Shoots For World Record In Idaho

By [email protected] and [email protected]

Twin Falls -
An Oregon Air National Guard commander has set some lofty goals for his next visit to the state of Idaho. Dan Schilling is stationed in Portland, Oregon. He plans to BASE jump off the Perrine Bridge in Twin Falls as many as 200 times during a 24-hour period.

BASE jumping is parachuting off a structure. Schilling hopes to set a world record in the process. But he says the most important part of this project is to raise money for a foundation that pays for college educations. Those funds will help go toward tuition for children of special operations forces who have died in action or while on training missions.

Schilling told The Times News --quote-- "We pay for everything -- books, tuition, living expenses."

Schilling, of Orem, Utah, plans to jump every seven minutes. Schilling will be assisted in the effort by a support team.

No mention of the previous record?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

if this guy does break the 133 jumps in 24 hrs record (an impressive feat at that) , it won't last for long until King Cunningham smashes it again. best of luck to him

He damn well better climb out every time like Miles did! I've done 4 in one day and I was pretty winded. Miles is a beast!! :P

Coco

Edit to add: Read it again... "Schilling, of Orem, Utah, plans to jump every seven minutes." Well he definitally won't be climbing out in that case.

4 in a day and you were winded?

I guess they don't require fire fighters to be fit anymore....

is it a different record if he doesn't climb out? if not it should be, there's a big difference there.
"They will soar on wings like eagles..."

Schilling, of Orem, Utah, plans to jump every seven minutes.

so, how is he getting back to the top that quick?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

so, how is he getting back to the top that quick?

More detail in this article

America Supports You: Captain Plans 200 Jumps for Scholarships
By Monique Reuben
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, June 23, 2006 – The clock will begin ticking July 7 at 8 p.m. Floodlights will illuminate the area surrounding the Perrine Memorial Bridge in Twin Falls, Idaho, giving spectators the chance to see one man's mission to support a cause he believes in.

Air National Guard Capt. Dan Schilling plans to make 200 BASE jumps July 7 from the Perrine Memorial Bridge in Twin Falls, Idaho, to support the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. Courtesy photo

The man behind this mission is Air National Guard Capt. Dan Schilling, who will attempt 200 BASE jumps off the bridge in 24 hours to raise college funds for the children of fallen special operations personnel.

BASE stands for building, antennae, span, earth. BASE jumpers use parachutes to jump from bridges, towers, cliffs or buildings in this extreme sport.

Schilling knows first-hand the costs of war. He participated in the 1993 operation in Mogadishu, Somalia, that the book and movie "Black Hawk Down" were based on. During that mission, he was a combat controller with the Air Force Special Operations Command. He understands that sometimes not everyone makes it home.

"If you're in special ops, you know somebody who has died," he said. "When our men and women get killed in the line of duty, whether it is in combat or training, which they inevitably do, they leave behind these shattered families, and these kids are just at such a disadvantage in life."

Often when servicemembers die, they have yet to begin saving money for their children's college education. Recognizing this problem prompted Schilling to join forces with Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

"These kids ... have already paid a price because they have lost a parent," Schilling said. "They've paid that price for all of us. ... And we're here to support these kids and help them get a college education."

The 26-year-old grassroots organization in Tampa, Fla., is near the U.S. Special Operations Command headquarters at MacDill Air Force Base. The group provides college scholarship grants, financial aid and educational counseling to children of special operations personnel who died in operational missions or training accidents.

The group is a member of the Defense Department's America Supports You program, which showcases Americans' efforts to support servicemembers and their families.

The Special Operations Warrior Foundation is sponsoring Schilling's 200 BASE jumps event. The event is titled "Project Warrior," and is different from many charity events the organization holds. The group primarily sponsors benefit dinners, golf tournaments, adventure races and triathlons to raise money for the children, Edie Rosenthal, the foundation's public relations director, said.

However, the organization always welcomes servicemembers' fundraising ideas. "This is something he (Schilling) specifically wants to do, and I have no doubt that he can do it," Rosenthal said.

A 60-ton highway construction crane with a basket will be parked on the bridge for 24 hours. Schilling will stand inside the basket until he is ready to make the 486-foot jump. Once in the air, his parachute will bring him back down to the surface.

He said he plans to make a jump roughly every eight minutes and 20 seconds. His "Project Warrior Team," which consists of 17 parachute packers, a safety director and paramedics, will be on hand to make sure the event runs smoothly.

"There's a lot of people involved in this; this is very much a team effort to help us break the record and raise money and awareness for these kids," Schilling said.

The Twin Falls City Police Department and the Idaho Transportation Department also have gotten involved by closing one lane on the major interstate freeway.

The Perrine Memorial Bridge is the site of hundreds of BASE jumps every year. It is one of the few areas where BASE jumpers don't need a permit. The bridge was also the scene of a BASE-jumping accident in May, when a 34-year-old California woman died after her parachute failed to deploy after she leapt from the bridge.

Schilling acknowledged the risk involved in BASE jumping, but said he is willing to take a "calculated risk" if it will draw enough attention to make people want to donate money to Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

"Logistically, it's feasible," he explained. "I'm shooting for 200 because I've got a very large support crew and very professional and safety conscious group of people that are helping me out, so we really believe we can pull this off."

Schilling is no stranger to the skies. He has been a BASE jumper for four years and has been preparing for this particular challenge for a year.

Schilling is preparing for the toll 200 jumps in 24 hours will take on his body. He does yoga five times a week, swims, does calisthenics, runs three times a week, gets adequate sleep, and is careful about what he eats. He also practices jumping from the 500-foot cliff in the backyard of his home in Utah.

As the event draws closer, he also will take three or four practice jumps a day off the Perrine Memorial Bridge.

Previous experiences have well prepared Schilling for this challenge. He has 20 years of experience as a skydiver and military high-altitude, low-opening parachutist, and is currently serving as a special tactics officer with the Oregon Air National Guard's 125th Special Tactics Squadron.

"I see this as a mission; I'm doing this because I believe in it," Schilling said.

Schilling also will attempt to make history. He sent a proposal outlining his plan to the Guinness Book of World Records in December.

Gary Cunningham, an Australian BASE jumper, is believed to have completed the most BASE jumps in 24 hours. However, his record of 133 jumps, which he set Dec. 31 at Malaysia's Menara Kuala Lumpur tower, has yet to be recognized by The Guinness Book of World Records.

If Schilling fulfills his mission of 200 base jumps in 24 hours, he will have broken this record.

While Schilling is excited about the possibility of setting a world record at the event, he said he's more focused on raising money for the children of his fallen comrades. His goal is to raise $100,000 at the event. Tables will be set up for spectators to learn about the Special Operations Warrior Foundation and donate money.

Although he is confident about the event's success, he is realistic about how much interest the event might garner. "Are people really going to come from Los Angeles or New York to Twin Falls, Idaho, just to watch this? Probably not," he said.

But, he said, he knows he can depend on support from the Twin Falls community and surrounding areas. Spectators often watch BASE jumpers at the famous bridge, so he said he intends to use the public's fascination with the sport to command their attention in pursuit of his mission.

Schilling has supported the foundation for many years and donated the proceeds from the book he co-authored about his experience in Somalia, called "The Battle of Mogadishu," to the organization.

Rosenthal said the foundation contacts families of fallen special operations troops within 30 days of the servicemember's death to inform them of benefits the group provides. The organization begins educational support to children of fallen warriors during their junior year of high school, when most begin making college plans. Other support begins sooner. The organization sends birthday cards, graduation gifts and provides counseling services for the children and their families.

Schilling said he wants the public to be more aware of the role special operations forces have played and continue to play everyday in keeping America safe.

"Special operations forces, whether they're Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines, pay a greater price in blood and loss of life than all other servicemembers combined," he said. "We are constantly on the road; you're always away from your family.

"These children are so deserving of our support and money so we can send them to school and give them back something that will still never compare with the loss of their mother or father."

Related Sites:
Special Operations Warrior Foundation
America Supports You

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

anyone have contact with dan S? I will forward my contact info to you to send to him..

thanks
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Please stop calling it a hike . . .

The boat had left and with no ride waiting in the campground I decided to "hike" out.

“Oh cool,” I thought, “a meandering little path through the woods - how enchanting . . .”

The next thing I know I'm hanging by my fingertips over a place called You-Fall-You-Die while the loose earth deserted below my feet. I got past that part figuring two things – that was the hard part – and there’s no going back down that way. I’m not a climber by any means. To climb for a BASE jump, usually means ascending a steel ladder or a staircase. My metal laden legs and no-flex foot joints just aren’t good at this stuff.

I get to a spot where there’s a old rope in place and rough corner to negotiate. Rocks give way here and grabbing some vegetation seems safer but very spooky none-the-less. How long has that rope been sitting in the sun I wonder . . . Then I got lost for the second time. In some places the trail is easy to follow with lots of footprints – in other spots I’m just guessing. The stash bag slides around on my back effecting my balance, so I actually throw it up the trail ahead of me a few times, and a few times it almost went tumbling back into the canyon. At first I’m thinking, man, I need some climbing gear for this – than I realized what I really needed was a full blown Sherpa and a Guide. Where the hell is Miles . . . ?

After getting by that corner I sat for a minute or two trying to figure which way was the right way when I heard another jumper coming up the path. He swept by me saying hello and he was practically trotting up the hill. My own stupid inability to admit I could have used a hand precluded my doing anything but smiling back at him. Well at least I could follow him. But, by the time I got up and set my bag on my back he was long gone.

The next person who came up the trail was going to get lucky. I’d had it with the humping, pushing and pulling that stash bag up the trail. The next person who came along was going to get gifted. “Well, hello there young fellow” I’d begin, “say there’s a practically brand new BASE rig in this stash bag - so you want it?” I work for a BASE gear company - I can always get more gear . . .

But nobody came along and anyway it would have been lame on my part.

In retrospect I should have just sat at the bottom and waited for another jumper who knew the way – but why? It’s just a “hike” out. Then I came to the Cliff-Tree-Rope thing. This one I decided to attack technically. So I sat there for a good ten minutes (catching my breath) and figuring it out. I tied my stash bag to the bottom of the rope, then shimmied up between the cliff and the tree, then pulled up the bag.

One and half hours later (yes, ninety minutes - a personal best) covered in a layer of fine dust from head to toe- from slipping and sliding through the dirt trying to grab onto something – I crested the rock wall of the upper park and surprised a group of tourists on the other side. As I calmly dusted myself off, I said to them, “Hot tip, don’t go that way . . . !”

So climbing out like Miles did (when I make my own record attempt) I should be able to get in sixteen jumps in 24-hours!

I’m not writing this to embarrass myself, although I suppose that ship already sailed – I’m writing it for the other old and broken boned BASE jumpers out there who look over at that meandering little trail through the woods for the first time and think it’s just a hike . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

haha that sounds very similar to my first 'hike-out' experience. Except i was jumping solo in the middle of december and had just taken a waist-deep water landing, and my shoes were iced-over. It was 17 degrees outside with a very cold wind. I spent 20 minutes hanging from a rock with my slippery, iced gloves above that tree, thinking "so... i wonder how long it will take for somebody to find my broken corpse?"

I finally reached the top, and as i peeked over the stone wall, i saw a very welcome sight... a norwegian base jumper whom I had never met... and he had a car ;)

(heres some video of that jump)

edit: and did i learn my lesson? noooo... 3 jumps later (that night), I did a two-way with him and ended up landing in the water yet again... but at least i was getting some great slider-up packing practice :S:PB|:$
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

4 in a day and you were winded?

I guess they don't require fire fighters to be fit anymore....

By winded I didn't mean I was about to pass out just that it was a damn good workout. After 10-12 I'd be pretty tired. Dude I can climb 1000 ft A is 40 min, I'm in great shape. That hike is a lot different cardio than I do on a regular basis.

Coco

Edit to add: You just wanted to give me more shit didn't you sam! :P:D

aahhh man I had to put on an extra sweater after watching that movie....that looked very cold and very uncomfortable....!

I do not intend to upset anyone, so I start out by saying that this is in my opinion a worthwhile and deserving cause and the individual has clearly thought hard and long about a 'novel' way of raising money.

However, one of the aspects that attracted be to BASE is the 'getting there' and 'getting out'. When I see 'Get lift to altitude' (i.e. top of bridge)', 'grab spare rig', 'get somone else to pack'
then I would think 'dropzone and skydiving. Of course it is still the bridge, although I am sure the 'Safety Director' in place will make sure that all conditions are ok and the jumper is in a fit state to go - sounds like my dropzone again.

*** Schilling is preparing for the toll 200 jumps in 24 hours will take on his body. He does yoga five times a week, swims, does calisthenics, runs three times a week, gets adequate sleep, and is careful about what he eats. He also practices jumping from the 500-foot cliff in the backyard of his home in Utah. ***

These Special Ops guys sure are tough - I don't think I know anybody else who can run 3 times a week and is still able to do yoga. Then again, I thought that after basic training (which has a few more runs per week) that the minimum requirement was 2 Physical Training (PT) sessions with a regimental run throuwn in on Fridays. Of course if you play a sport, there will be two more training sessions and a game each week. Sounds like he is well prepared to run to the basket though. Of course he will have to stay awake for 24 hours in a situation where an error could be fatal, however, having undoubtedly done Escape and Evasion as part of his Spec Ops trg 24hrs should be a doddle - especially with that healthy diet.

*** As the event draws closer, he also will take three or four practice jumps a day off the Perrine Memorial Bridge. ***

I assume we are down to four because we have to 'climb out' and pack ouselves.

Undoubtedly, all Special Ops guys reading this are now out setting up OPs near the bridge to seize me the next time I arrive. Well, as I said, a good cause, but I am not sure this event is beneficial for BASE jumping at the bridge nor a great advertisement for the Special Forces.

Just My Penny - 'No comments are meant to offend individuals and are purely a personal view presented by myself'.

dont worry, they have real world things to focus on...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

actually I was just giving you shit :ph34r:

that's a lot of hiking/scrambling/climbing in one day for most people

and most basejumpers I have met are not very fit

to make this post useful and on topic,

technique can make a big difference on that hike/scramble/climb, especially if you are doing more than 4 a day :P

here's what I learned from the master (Miles) himself:

- don't go as fast as you can, throttle back a little

- little tiny steps - this is the secret weapon and now it's out!

- find the pace that does not require stopping anywhere to rest and go at that

- drink plenty of water and eat healthy

- packing is a waste of time and your exit-to-exit turnaround should be around 20 minutes or you need more training

armed with knowledge like that, practically anyone can do 6 + a day and hike/scramble/climb them out

after 10 - 11 we went on a wind hold and grabbed lunch as it was 13:30. Miles is the best jump/hike/scramble/climb buddy ever, the supreme motivator.

Rocks give way here and grabbing some vegetation seems safer but very spooky none-the-less.

By vegetation, do you mean the poison ivy which seems to be the only thing to grab in every spot where the dirt under your feet is giving away and your only other option is to grab the broken glass laying everywhere?

:D

Someone mentioned the Poison Ivy later that day, but I didn't get a dose . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

I am probably a little 'slow' on the uptake and haved missed the joke. I was nodding away in agreement until I got to the 20-min turn around time. Are you referring to unpacked jumps? Your 10-11 before 1330hrs seems to suggest not, whilst the 6+ per day seems to suggest maybe a little longer for packing assuming a 15min climp between putting gear into stuff sack and coming over the wall. If you are talking about packed jobs, I would like to pick your brains on a few packing 'hints'. I would have thought, assuming you got 'good' weather and its summer, that one hour for a pack, jump and climb would give you sufficient time for a lunch break and the forementioned 6+ jumps - if that was your aim is. This is certainly personal choice, but I also seem to remember reading in a few articles the phrase "BASE jumpers believe in quality of life, not quantity", so maybe I will use that as an excuse when I am breathing out of my a$£e next time I get to the bottom of the wall! Personally, being not a natural climber, the last 'climb' (I know the climbers are chuckling at this point) was the most daunting part for me during my visit to TF.

Just My Penny - 'No comments are meant to offend individuals and are purely a personal view presented by myself'.

unpacked for sure

there's no way I could start after sunrise and do 10 - 11 packed jumps that I hike out before 13:30

we got a late start that day anyways, like 8:30 or so

I can't pack faster than 22 minutes and packing that fast scares me a litte

basejumps are all quality, so I might as well have quantity too!

cya

Good call. That's how I feel about quantity at the moment. I'm not going to rush unsafely, but I will move as fast as I safely can (climbing out and packing) so I can get as much quality as possible.

Thanks for clarification - fully agree with the 'Quality & Quantity' approach.

He he he.
;)
Go Dan!!!
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Go get em Danny! We'll be there cheering you on!