lifewithoutanet

Go, Gary Go...

After the rain finally stopped I did another 13 jumps for a total of 133 base jumps in 24 hours.

The final jump was a nice 10 way with my packers. There was a huge crowd at the exit point giving us the countdown to 2006. We launched off a second before midnight. Visuals in freefall and under canopy where excellent with fireworks going off all around the city to celebrate the New Year.

Thanks to everyone involved that helped me out with this event.

I look forward to jumping with everyone around the world in 2006.

Gary

After the rain finally stopped I did another 13 jumps for a total of 133 base jumps in 24 hours.

congrats!

133 jumps is a career for many. you did it in 24 hours!
amazing.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Well done ! great work !congratulation to the packers too ! Happy 2006 full of jumps…..and objects !!!;)

Hey Gary,

Congratulations - nice one! You were even mentioned in some German News articles..
133 basejumps in 24 hours is awesome. Did you have any kind of malfunctions or did it all go smooth?

Max

Ha ha. Right on Assburgers!

Those dress shoes were money, Stef.

Congrats Gaz and to all your packers!

Franks & Beans!

DaNMaN

maaan 133 jumps in 24 hours.. he he if anyone ever cal you lazy(even as you used packers) your in your right ti kick their arse he he

congrats and happy newyear

Shane i do like your thing about "real BASE" i have to admire that if i had to try to beat any of thouse records(which aint likely) i probaly would try out Garys as the climbs Miles did will kill me for sure..

Both records are amacing and as you say they should be looged as 2 different records.
Not many in the world will be abel to beat either of the records,well done guysB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I can imagine that 133 jumps in 24 hrs could easily bring on a serious case of Assburgers! Congrats on the big number, maybe we should pitch in and get some ointment...

Doug

Congratulations to you and your ground crew.B|
"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

Press reports:

Daily Times - Pakistan:

Monday, January 02, 2006
Australian marks New Year with ups

Australian Gary Cunningham rang in the New Year by jumping off a Malaysian telecoms tower — 133 times. Out to set a record for the most BASE jumps performed in 24 hours, the-34-year-old engineer started at midnight as December 31 began and finished up as fireworks exploded in the sky to mark the new year.

“We were in freefall as it ticked over to 2006. You could see the fireworks all over the city. It was amazing - a great way to end a long, hard day,” he said. Cunningham had a team of 12 people packing parachutes for his leaps off the 421-metre Menara Kuala Lumpur tower in the Malaysian capital. The jumps, which included aerial backflips that delighted the crowds below, came at regular 10-minute intervals with only stops for short breaks and intermittent rain. The previous high number of so-called BASE jumps - named for Building, Antenna, Span, Earth - was believed to be 57 in a 24-hour period.

“I woke up this morning and I was pretty stiff and sore,” Cunningham said on Sunday. “But I feel surprisingly good.”

The Times - UK

Towering jump into record book
By a Correspondent

Gary Cunningham, an Australian engineer, left, rang in the new year by jumping off the 421-metre (1,381ft) Menara Kuala Lumpur tower 133 times.
Cunningham, 34, who set out to break the record for the most BASE jumps performed in 24 hours, started at midnight as New Year’s Eve began and finished as fireworks exploded in the sky above the Malaysian capital to mark the new year. The previous BASE jump record is believed to be 57.

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Quote:"In my opinion, the only way to "limit" this kind of record would be to make a "class" where you did everything yourself, with only 1 rig, and only equipment you carried yourself. No packers, no elevator, no cars, no boats, no giant lights, etc, etc. You'd have to bring your packing tools, if you used them, and could stash them somewhere on route during the first lap."

You should organize it next year during the Labor Day Boogie. That would be very cool!

-
Maybe set a record for most jumps off and 'E' in a day during the MOAB Turkey Boogie off of the Tomby?????

Maybe make it a 'BASE Recored'. Most BASE jumps in a day off a 'B', 'A', 'S', 'E'?

Like KL, Tomby, TF, and a legal 'A'. Don't know any.

First person to do the most jumps in a 24 hr period off of each jump. So go to TF, do as many jumps as possible. Go to Moab, KL, 'A', etc.

Sorry if it's confusing, I just made it up but that would be a bad ass feat.

Anybody up to the task? I'll video.

-
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

Gary's record was shown for about 3 minutes on Dutch TV, youth news. Very nice indeed.

Well done!

Ronald Overdijk

Gary's record was shown for about 3 minutes on Dutch TV, youth news. Very nice indeed.

Was that the "NOS Jeugd Journaal" Ronald? I tried watching the last few editions online but couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Jaap

Yes Jaap, it was NOS jeugdjournaal, aired 18.45 local time, january 2nd.

Greetz,

Ronald

Maybe make it a 'BASE Recored'. Most BASE jumps in a day off a 'B', 'A', 'S', 'E'?

As far as I know, that stands at 3!!!!!!!!!! B|

Any takers for an equal/higher figure?
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Would anyone out there be willing to provide a quote for an online news article about Gary's new record for Outside Magazine? Thanks very much!

Go, Gary Go

:P
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Article here in Outside magazine's on-line edition.

Australian Man BASE Jumps 133 Times in 24 Hours

By Devon Pendleton

January 5, 2006 Perhaps no one can boast of celebrating the New Year in high style as truthfully as Australian Gary Cunningham. Cunningham, 34, rang in New Year's 2006 by throwing himself off Malaysia's 1,403-foot Menara Kuala Lampur tower 133 times in 24 hours, a first for BASE jumping. Cunningham and his nine-person team began the endeavor at midnight December 31st and finished up exactly 24 hours later as fireworks lit up the night sky. "For the final jump there was a huge crowd at the exit point giving us the countdown to 2006," Cunningham told Outside Online via email. "Visuals in freefall were excellent with all the fireworks going off all around the city."

For BASE jumping, a fringe extreme sport that involves using a parachute to jump from fixed objects, (the acronym BASE—buildings, antennae, spans, and earth—stands for the four types of objects a jumper can use as a launch pad) the concept of formal records is quite new and even scorned by some members of the growing BASE-jumping community.

Cunningham's new record supposedly supplants a record set by American Miles Daisher who made a total of 57 jumps in just under 24 hours from the Perrine Bridge in Twin Falls, Idaho, on September 16, 2005. Technical differences between the two feats abound however, and with no formal governing body or fixed BASE jumping regulations, what constitutes a "record" is debatable. Some jumpers are quick to point out that while Daisher hiked back up to the bridge after every jump, Cunningham took the elevator, thereby allowing him a short breather and the ability to jump in consistent ten-minute intervals. Public discussions on BASE jumping Web forums center around whether these two records deserve separate categories and the merits of the "Jumped vs. Climbed" ratio.

Tom Aiello, head of the Snake River BASE Academy in Twin Falls, Idaho, stresses that the important accomplishment doesn't have anything to do with numbers, but rather the contributions Cunningham makes to the sport. "Gary is truly a role model, not because he is on television or on magazines, but because he genuinely cares about the sport and other jumpers," Aiello told Outside Online.

Either way, personal style and individual artistic flair is considered equally important as sheer jump volume to diehard BASE fans. Daisher, a former child gymnast, is known for his athletic prowess in the form of double and triple flips, while Cunningham is similarly respected for the mental discipline demanded by so many consecutive jumps.

According to Aiello, "Staying focused to make so many injury-free jumps in one day is a staggering feat of mental endurance." Real or imagined, one thing is for certain: this controversy-cum-rivalry is bringing the eccentric sport a lot closer into the public eye.

edit to add: That makes it less than 6 hours from the time an Outside reporter posted here looking for comments to the time the article was online. It's also interesting how much of that appeared to have been drawn from discussions on this forum (look Leroy, you're famous! :P).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

:onow thats sum funny stuff! ;)

added: though I think you might have asked him to say that...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

that 10 way sounds like one bad ass jump im sure your packers were proud to be a part of what u were doing go big u sure did and so did your freinds that helped nice team effort guys and girls
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad