Calvin19

Rope Jump Fatality?

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/5474132/detail.html

So, I have no idea who this was, or the experience they had...

but please be careful people... seriously.

this is not Fucking Around.

I actualy have no idea what happened, other than what i saw on the crane an hour ago and what i read on this article.

whoever it was, blue skies.

i dont know where else to post this.

Oh man, this is bad news. Cranes aren't stationary while they're "parked" so it's entirely possible that the rig was set up right, but the boom had moved since they set it up. Non BASE types might not know that.

I personally don't think it's wise to show people how to set up rope jumping rigs. If they need to figure it out themselves and actually jump a system that they're not totally sure about, that will deter about 95% of the population from trying it out on their own.

It's better to just go with someone who knows the rigging.

Dano was pretty strict about no video footage of the anchors or other components of the system. (at least for gazers) I agree with this angle.

I've taken a bunch of people rope jumping, but I don't really let them watch me set stuff up. I explain in detail everything they need to understand about their end of the system, but they have to just trust my rigging on the other end, or not jump.

Also, I don't jump on tyrolean rigs anymore. I lost two buddies that way. Actually, I would jump on your system, I just won't rig one myself. I know how to rig a bombproof tyrolean rope jumping rig (that is quite different than yours) but I can't go there again. Especially with people I love and care about.

(For the record, I've done several hundred rope jumps)

Edit: Rope jumping can lead to BASE. Look what happened to me:S

I agree.

IT WAS FREAKING WINDY HERE LAST NIGHT.
our airport lost a plane or two, pulled the tiedown rings right out of the spar.

But i dont think the crane moved, i went to check it out this morning, and it looked as if the crane was locked in place by its main hoist. (the part that actualy lifts stuff)

About showing people how to set up a rig and jump it, i dont think i would actually teach somebody "the ropes" from start to finish, but i would help somebody if they were already into it and had figured out things on their own, i would answer questions, and ask my own. Rope jumping has an insane amount of variables, especialy tyrolean jumps.

It would be hard to keep people from photographing our system, all the rigging and such. but i think it is a good idea to not give as much info about it in the future. When i was letting people jump our rig, the only info I gave was a crash course in jumping and retrevial technique, i answered specific questions about the system, but we are not writing a book.

The problem with rope jumping is it is entirely inventive and sight specific, Base jumping we have rougfhly 2 packjobs for everything.

rigging a rope jump presents new problems with every sight, in fact, the only system i have ever used more than once is the simple bridge swing.

like i said, Rope jumping is no game. not something to do on friday night with your drunk freinds and your weekend warrior $99 REI special climbing rope.

be careful. in fact. dont do it.

"but they have to just trust my rigging on the other end, or not jump. "

So true. I would not have it any other way:|

So, I have no idea who this was, or the experience they had...

This sucks ... I sure hope it's not someone we know ... it's bugging me right as I sit here and think about all those 22 year olds I've met through jumping. Of course you would have been high on my list of 22 year old Boulder rope jumpers ... but unless you're not the real Calvin19 I can rest assured that it's not you.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

haha, thanks steve,
"if we cant laugh at everything, life is going to last a whole lot longer than we want it to."

i have gotten literaly 17 calls from freinds making sure it was not me, you never know how many freinds you have until they think your dead.

I go to the service for Heather tommorow, and i have yet to figure out who this was.

I will keep updated,

thanks to anybody who has called though...[:/]

Edited to add---18 calls[:/]

---I have recently discovered the hard way how impossible it is to eat a pop-tart with a fork.

Can someone briefly explain this sport to me please

Start here.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

fark

thats the shi-@

its like basejumping without a parachute, imagine the delays ya could have, it would be like deploying ya PC at 10 feet

is there much skill required for this ?
like for example if any yobbo went and jumped off a cliff with a base rig they'd go head down and onto there back etc,
could most yobbo's have safely performed an unstable exit on that rope in that video ?

>>like i said, Rope jumping is no game. not something to do on friday night with your drunk freinds and your weekend warrior $99 REI special climbing rope.

be careful. in fact. dont do it.<<

Gee, that sounds exactly like the early days of BASE jumping . . .

If Dan Osmond is your Carl Boenish then soon there will be rope jumping glory hounds, site burners and back stabbing politics.

And in twenty years you guys will be the "oldtimers."

Enjoy it while you can . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

"If Dan Osmond is your Carl Boenish then soon there will be rope jumping glory hounds, site burners and back stabbing politics. "

With the number of fatalities and the actual number of rope jumps made, and considering the difficulty and frailty and precision it takes to make a worthwhile rig, i am going to assume and hope that this never becomes a sport or a hobby.

What time, money and mental strain my freinds and i have invested in doing this the way we feel is safe is probably not worth it.

Nick, I have my own list, informal, and for me alone. but its longer than it should be already.

There is a magic to BASE jumping, we have discussed it here before, that there seems to be a trend for it to work out,(not all the time, by any measure) as if our gear and skills surprise us. I believe Whole Heartedly that this magic is entirely missing from Rope Jumping.

Base jumping we have rougfhly 2 packjobs for everything.

Sorry - had to pick you up on this one. There is a lot more variation than 2 pack jobs. Configuration of the deployment system is an INTEGRAL part of the pack job (the most important part in my books). There is basically a lot more than two pack jobs.......

Imagine if someone said rope jumping is basically three setups???? I agree with you, there is certainly more variation in rope jumps.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I agree, i was being dramatic
I pack the actual canopy 3 seperate ways, then is bridal routing, priming, PC size, deployment method, etc,

forgive the generalization, just trying to make a point. What i was getting at is generaly, every new sight does not need a completely new, invented on the spot packjob.

>>Nick, I have my own list, informal, and for me alone. but its longer than it should be already.<<

I understand you Calvin. The historian in me wants you to keep your List current and accurate and to yourself if you want. But, someday it may be very important.

The human being in me wants you to drop it and runaway as fast as you can. Eveyone on the early part of the List will be your friend and later ones will be your brothers. It's a terrible burden . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Hello,
I'm sure "Tom, Mr Aiello's son",
is just about to split this thread.
Let me get this in, sorry to digress.
There is only one way to pack a BASE rig,
and that is: as if your life depends on it.
The rest is fluff and useless clamps.

>>Calvin
"don't do it."<<
Always good advice.

My respect for the dearly departed.
Take care and God bless.
Avery

(thought provoking)
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

My deepest condolences to family and freinds.

I also want to thank you Nick for doing your hard work in keeping the list so well

take care

Benjamin

I work in the Safety Department at CU and have an office next to a very cool CU police officer - he said he'd go get the details for me. All he knew for sure at this point is that it was assumed the guy was rapelling (my friend will try to find out what sort of set up/gear was in use), the top of the crane swung when the guy jumped/rapelled and the he was smashed into the building across the street (it's barely a 2 two story builing and he is said to have hit around the SW corner). When CUPD arrived he was hanging about 5 feet off the ground from the rope.

There were 109 mph gusts in Boulder that night and the police are wondering if that is a factor, at this point it is assumed that the movement of the crane was the biggest factor.

Anyway, thats the news from CUPD and the Safety Department...
-Carrie

There were 109 mph gusts in Boulder that night

109 mph gusts? That figure correct?? At what altitude?

Coco

The deceased has been named and he's not a name I recognize from the local CO jumping community. So I'm happy from that perspective. However it sucks for this young man, for his family and friends and just sends out a message to the rest of us to leave the rogue rope jumping to guys like you and to stick to safer activities like jumping from these cranes with a BASE rig. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Thats what the local news said. Boulder's altitude is around 5360. The wind took trees down, pulled a roof off a house and blew it 600 feet away. It was a pretty crazy day around here.

Doesn't that information turn a sad fatality into a nomination for a Darwin award?

Don't get me wrong, it still sucks. I don't have sufficient nor reliable information, but doing rope work in 109 mph gusts can be considered poor risk management.

No disrespect to the dead, but what a dumb ass!!

you have got to be kidding me coco...
nobody knows exactly what happened.
and id be willing to bet my left nut ,that while im sure there were gusts of that magnitude, the deceased probably didnt jump in 100mph winds...

and even if he did, it dosent justify comments like that...

what if you went in? on accident of course..noone ever intentionally goes in (minus suicides) and some low-timer, who participates in a totally diifferent sport, smears you all over the rockclimbing forum?

some rappeller:"oh, some fuccking idiot killed himself (you,hypothetically) jumping a building (without prerequsite expereince) in virgina beach last nite because his chute didnt work... no disrespect to the dead, but what a dumbass!!"

im not really flaming you as much as im trying to say perhaps a bit of tact and respect is in order...

have a nice day....