NickDG

John Agnos Discussion

Well, I'm happy John is down and safe, and I wasn't saying much about him personally because I don't know him. My first thought was, okay, it could happen to any of us. But, here's a lesson in how to make things worse. Now he's doing on-camera interviews and burying us further. http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_301210755.html and click "play" on the video.

Up until now it appeared the media thought this a fellow out on a lark for his birthday, but now they are reporting this site gets jumped all the time. Who told them that?

Also, his talking about legalizing BASE jumping right after a mishap and rescue of this nature is a bit counter productive not to mention he left the impression we are so out there we want the right to jump private property.

Gee, shut up already and use your head. What is so hard about saying it was just a wild assed idea he had and then he tried it? Why not say, "I've never even heard of BASE jumping." It's called falling on your sword to protect your brothers and sisters.

Instead he shows off his BASE tattoos (and like BASE bumper stickers on your car that'll help when explaining it wasn't you) and talks about how he accessed the site and then all about the "visuals and the rush." How is it possible for someone in the sport for eleven years to be so selfish?

Is John A. another John V. . . ?

BTW, in the accompanying copy to the video there's this concerning BASE jumping being illegal at this site . . .

"Jumping from our tower has been such a persistent problem that years ago CBS 13 spearheaded a county ordinance that specifically makes it a crime punishable by up to six months in jail and a $1,000 dollar fine."

Oh, and as Tom mentioned, this fellow is on a roll . . . http://www.gazette.com/display.php?id=1311375&secid=1

NickD [:/]
BASE 194

edit for thread title ~TA

Now he's doing on-camera interviews and burying us further. http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_301210755.html and click "play" on the video.

Thanks for posting this link.
after the first 8 - 10 seconds of a seemingly rational prelude, he rapidly spiraled into a BASE PR black hole.

It's tough to seem polished on TV, but what was the point in showing off his tatoos???????????????????
and
it doesn't really take 3 hours to do that climb does it? that's a lot longer than i remember.

be safe
be smart
which is more important?
or are they one and the same?

kleggo

Painfull indeed to watch...if anyone is a true friend to Mr. Clueless please put a sock in his mouth!

^^ Wow... the media is really eating this one up. I wonder if he's going to get a tattoo of himself hanging from the wires to go along with all the other objects on his back?

Ohh, and I'm suprized that Channel 13 is still mentioning how BASE is illegal at every opportunity... :S I thought that Jason B. had corrected them once already.
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

Ohh, and I'm suprized that Channel 13 is still mentioning how BASE is illegal at every opportunity... :S I thought that Jason B. had corrected them once already.

Clearly, none of their reporters are bothering to read this website. :|

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Clearly, none of their reporters are bothering to read this website. :|

Several people have contacted (via more direct methods than posting here) Channel 13 to try to clear that up.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

This guy is into BASE as a way to gain status with others/attention from others.

After the amount of attention he has received, he will undoubtedly jump again.

Unless of course every day someone different emais him a MP3 file of himself sobbing on the 911 call, and vowing to never participate in BASE again.

Good thing the recuers got him down safely...imagine if him, or the rescuer, or both were to have perished in the rescue attempt.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Unless of course every day someone different emais him a MP3 file of himself sobbing on the 911 call, and vowing to never participate in BASE again.

I think the 911 tape is what really did it for me. I didn't hear it until after I'd seen him on the news, but when I did, it really put me over the edge.

The stark contrast between the bravado he showed to the camera and the snivelling, whimpering mess he was on the 911 call... This guy doesn't have a humble bone in his body. I wonder how he would have reacted if, before he could say anything about his previous injuries, the reporter had asked, "Weren't you the guy who in Vegas, a year ago... And weren't you just rescued two weeks ago in Colorado Springs?" I guess it's a good thing the media didn't pick up on his history. Or maybe they did, but didn't make a big deal out of it.

I'm sad to say this because I don't know what it will mean for the rest of our objects, but he's an attention whore and he was revelling in the media's focus, if only for his 15 minutes this time around. You're right. We haven't seen the last of him.

-C.

Here it is from another post: 911 Call.

Realize that I'm not criticizing his reaction to hanging 200 feet up on a wire in itself alone. It's the combination of this tape and his retelling of the accident in front of the camera.

-C.

Realize that I'm not criticizing his reaction to hanging 200 feet up on a wire in itself alone. It's the combination of this tape and his retelling of the accident in front of the camera.

What about showing the ink on his back to the camera? Who inks jumped objects on their back - where they cannot personally ever see them - unless they want to show them to others as a badge of courage or something else lame along those lines?...which is exactly what he did.

WOW! thats scary, you never know how your going to react in that situation I guess[:/]

What about showing the ink on his back to the camera? Who inks jumped objects on their back - where they cannot personally ever see them - unless they want to show them to others as a badge of courage or something else lame along those lines?...which is exactly what he did.

Uh...

...he can see 'em in a mirror. The alternative is to put them on his chest, where he will have to see them upside-down...unless he looks in a mirror.

I'm just sayin'...there're people who resemble this remark who do not resemble Agnos in any other way.

I wouldn't use tattoos as a litmus test if I were you.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Well, that would factor into the telling of the story. Again, it's the combination of the two media "appearances".

As for his choice to get the tattoos...whatever, that's up to him.

-C.

What an idiot this guy...my mentally challenged clientelle even think so. If this guy pulled this bozo crap off around here.....he would've been taken care of by Joey the clown or good ol' Pauly ..god forbid!!!!!!
is it dark yet

I wouldn't use tattoos as a litmus test if I were you.

I have no problems with ink...I am not using it as a litmus test. After hearing about this individuals personality, seeing his interviews and the way he displayed his ink to the cameras to reinforce his bravado image, it's my impression he got those tattoos to show the world he base jumps. And by the world I mean whuffos and non-BASE individuals...because it appears he has no jumping buddies.

...inks jumped objects on their back...

I thought the funny thing was that he had enough room for every object he'd ever jumped. I know several guys who'd pretty much be out of skin if they tried that.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Not too much of a biggie, but . . .

Tom split this thread and as he noted he also re-named it and that's cool with me. However, this is something I want straight. I often give a lot of thought to not only what I say but where I say it and I buried my original post in another thread for a reason. I didn’t mean it to become a bash fest or even a discussion. It's was just me saying what I had to say and moving along.

When I do get on someone like a Felix or that other John it's because I know them and think they deserve it. I've never met John Agnos, don’t know how he came up the ranks, or know who did or didn’t mentor him. Right now I think of him as ignorant but not malicious like the previous two I mentioned.

I was only trying to further the lesson on damage control. We should probably be a little careful about turning our backs when someone messes up early in their BASE careers. If they stay in the sport we might loss the chance to ever reform them.

Anyway, sure, there's a good chance he's not worthy of our help, but since I've never actually talked to him, I just can’t make that decision right now.

NickD :)BASE 194

I don't see anything wrong with inking yourself up with images of hobbies or sports your into. I just would have had a better artist put that ink in.
:$

Here it is from another post: 911 Call.

-C.

If anyone knows how to extract that (long) audio clip from that website, please PM me or send me an email to chris AT triaxproductions DOT com.
cheers,
pope

Man that 911 call was some funny shit. John should stick to his word and quit jumping, and while he is at it get a yellow stripe tattooed down his back along with "Oh god, oh god, I don't wanna die". Should of thought about that before you underdelayed on the easiest object on the planet. Maybe you could get in a Bridge club (cards) and then at least one tattoo is still useful.

Man that is funny. ;)

a workaround would to plug the audio out into a tape recorder or even the microphone in on your own computer and have the built in windows recorder save it.

I'll work on that tonight....
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...