Treejumps

Congratulations on a new world record!

As odd as it seems I want to caycongratulations to Miles on hi new world record. The press was positive and the article in Magic calley definitely made the event out to be a cool one. I'm sure that it was a good time, and if it was anyone else I would have thought it was cool from the get go. Miles has rubbed me the wrong way on some things, but I shouldn't let that get in the way of supporting an event like this crazy shit. To do that many hikes and that many jumps takes some real soul, and possibly some really good speed. :P

Congrats again. You earned it.

Cya.

I don't know th final tally, but for more information, see:
http://www.magicvalley.com/articles/2005/09/17/news_topstory/news_topstory.1.txt

I'm also interested in how much money he raised. it'd be awesome if he raised his goal of $20,000 mostly FROM NON-JUMPERS!

congratulations to Miles!

oh, and kudos to Tree for recognizing the accomplishment.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

congrats Miles way to go.. really awsome.. lazy boy:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Considering history, this is an excellent response/post.

There is every chance that two individual human beings will have differences of opinon, morals, values, ethics, intelligence, looks, abilities, and every other factor you could think of. That is one thing that makes the earth an interesting place most of the time.

Despite these differences, it was wonderful to see people acknowledge the achievements of others, despite what they think of them. It is also wonderful when someone does the achieving!!!!!

Miles - sounds like you've done well (I would like some data ;)). Congratulations and well done for considering other people during your adventures/endeavours.

Tree - it's good to see you think he did well. Now, I challenge YOU, or anyone else to kick Miles's ass and take this sport to the next level. I am sure Miles would like that sort of challenge.

Lets make this competition healthy and positive. The end result will be that jumpers will be more united, the sport will progress, and society in general will have no choice but to accept it for what it is.

:)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I challenge YOU, or anyone else to kick Miles's ass and take this sport to the next level. I am sure Miles would like that sort of challenge.

Lets make this competition healthy and positive.

im in if i dont have to climb one of them out...:ph34r::D i dont want to be healthy i just want to jump..;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I'm also interested in how much money he raised. it'd be awesome if he raised his goal of $20,000 mostly FROM NON-JUMPERS!

I don´t follow you. can you please explain how NON-JUMPER money would be better.
Kudos to this thread posters,
take care,
space

I don´t follow you. can you please explain how NON-JUMPER money would be better.
take care,
space

I would say because that means that non-jumpers are putting their hard earned money towards a fundraiser made possible by BASE. That raises awareness of BASE and all in a positive light. Most non-jumpers look at us a crazy and out to do no good. All of the people that put their money up for charity through this event have certainly had that perspective shifted.

Greenie in training.

im in if i dont have to climb one of them out...:ph34r::D i dont want to be healthy i just want to jump..;)

I'm with Faber! Hiking is for athletes.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

so one 20k usd for the kids is better than the other? I still can not logic this out. What am I daft on? Is it not about the kids?
take care,
daftly yours and I would like wwarped to answer this question.
space

20 grand for charity is 20 grand for charity any way you cut it. However comming from non-jumpers shows that people outside of the BASE community felt good enough about the event to put up their own money. Don't see why you are jumping on his back because he suggested it was a good thing that some came from non-jumpers.

Greenie in training.

20 grand for charity is 20 grand for charity any way you cut it. However comming from non-jumpers shows that people outside of the BASE community felt good enough about the event to put up their own money. Don't see why you are jumping on his back because he suggested it was a good thing that some came from non-jumpers.

Since you are a greenie in training I will give you some tips. Tip #1. Read not your opinion into what posters post. I asked a simple question and you accuse me of jumping on his back.
I just could not logic my way thru this as I could as if standing on the the exit point logicing out fear to accept the consequences..I am very open and wish to understand his line of thinking, I could possibly learn something and become a better person. I was not out to diss anyone. I will quote me and ask how you got your suck ass opinion from my post.
Base283 asked: “I don´t follow you. can you please explain how NON-JUMPER money would be better?”. So…. Explain your suckass opinion greenie in training. I am very open and wish to understand your line of thinking, I could possibly learn something and become a better person.
Sorry to be hard on you but you asked for it.
Take care,
space

ps. for tips 2 and 3 you should PM me.

IMO the general public would sponsor a bridge jump like they do a tandem skydive when done for charity, they just think both are crazy. But with the bridge jump they’d probably think it was actually a bungee jump anyway :D

Congratulations to the man! Cash for the kids is still cash for kids :)

Nice to see your change of heart Tree. Thank you. Miles has been very misjudged by many in this community in the past. Damage that may never be undone. Frankly I don't think he cares.
Anyway, Here's my quick recap:
Everyone here seems to be making comments like "unbelievable" and "amazing". Let me tell you, you have no idea! When the storm came in at 8:30pm and shut us down Miles was still fully charging. At the time we thought it may blow through and he could keep going. He was running around and organizing and carrying stuff to cars and even went down to the boat launch to take the boat out of the river. I honestly think if the weather didn't stop him he would have got 70 jumps. He sped up the pace from the afternoon into the eveing big time and was feeling really good and charging hard at 8:30. His total vertical feet climbed for 57 jumps was 27,702 and it was almost easy for him. None of us can believe how long he was able to sustain such a fast pace. It really was amazing.
I don't know the official total for $ raised but I think is was somewhere around $20,000.
There were hundreds of people crowding around during the ENTIRE event. There were cops and security guards on duty and it was a really cool scene. I haven't heard any complaints yet. Oh wait! His 50th jump (also his 1,000th base jump. Yes he planned it that way.) was a 7 way all off the top rail in front of stoked cops and media. We packed at least 2 pounds of flour into his parachute. It made a big cloud but didn't coat him. Must have done it wrong. Can anyone suggest how this might be done so it rains down on the jumper?
Miles has been running around all day today (the day after) cleaning up and carrying heavy stuff. He says hes only a little sore in the hamstrings. WTF!!!!!!!!??????????????
Shane

Great job at Fuckin up a awesome post by TreeJumps (BTW Mighty big of you Tree! )

Back to the topic:Congratulations Miles on a new world record!

Alan

take care,
space

I would say because that means that non-jumpers are putting their hard earned money towards a fundraiser made possible by BASE. That raises awareness of BASE and all in a positive light. Most non-jumpers look at us a crazy and out to do no good. All of the people that put their money up for charity through this event have certainly had that perspective shifted.

basically, that is what I meant.

from what I can tell, the charity won, Miles got attention, and BASE gained further acceptance from the locals.

places still exist where someone can buy their way in and still not be accepted. support from the non-jumping locals is a sign of acceptance. the outside funds show a stronger, eh, "base" for the BASE community.

remember, there are more people (and more money) outside our sport than in. the more support we gain from them, the stronger our argument becomes over access issues.

thanks Miles!

edited to add:
p.s.
celebrities are regularly seen in the US passing out dinners at the holidays, or presents at the hospital. they don't have to, they easily could let their money speak. but they want the PR, the connection with the locals.

by gaining financial support from non-jumpers, Miles has demonstrated the same sort of connection.
DON'T PANIC

total vertical feet climbed for 57 jumps was 27,702

:S thats just short of everest...:S
(without the obvious weather conditions..)

yes and no. In sheer height it is lower than everest. however people who climb everest rarely start at the beach.:P miles kicks ass!!

Its always nice to see positive things in the media about BASE. Way to go Miles!!!! and to everyone that helped him accomplish this.
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

Space

I guess my take on it would be, while 20,000 usd is a finite amount of money, since BASE jumpers are generally a very small group of people, (who often don't have a lot of money, because, let's face it, who wants to give you money for living under a bridge and occasionally jumping off), the person able to get non-jumping corporations and public to open their wallets brings in a huge amount potential funds to be tapped which simply isn't available from the 'BASE jumping crowd'.

Does that make sense. Maybe it's still not too clear?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Space

I guess my take on it would be, while 20,000 usd is a finite amount of money, since BASE jumpers are generally a very small group of people, (who often don't have a lot of money, because, let's face it, who wants to give you money for living under a bridge and occasionally jumping off), the person able to get non-jumping corporations and public to open their wallets brings in a huge amount potential funds to be tapped which simply isn't available from the 'BASE jumping crowd'.

Does that make sense. Maybe it's still not too clear?

it's one of the points I attempted to make!
hopefully, you've stated it a bit clearer.

I also feel that those outside contributors are more likely to become allies in any access fight. can you imagine collecting e-mails with the contributions? we may gain the address of influential people. if not, we still have a larger pool of potential letter writers.
DON'T PANIC