EFS4LIFE

Got a cold? Thinking of doing a skydive anyway?

I thought I would just post a lesson I learned today. Thankfully I did not have to learn it the hard way as can be the case.

I am suffering from a common head cold. No big deal. Usual stuff. Congestion in my nose and sinus area. Used nasal spray, pseudophede, over counter stuff. I could clear the pressure in my ears and figured "I will just make a hop and pop."

I was always told the main concern with sinus congestion and skydiving was the possible pain of not be able to compensate the pressure do to the congestion. I have seen other skydivers "tough it out" with colds while doing working jumps, I could tough it out for one hop and pop.

The jump was uneventful. No non-clearing issues. No pain. Didn't realize until another jumper on the ground told me my nose was bleeding. Huh, well that serves me right. No more jumping for now.

Today, while NOT skydiving. My sinus problems were starting to clear. I was feeling better. The pressure in my ears felt out of wack though, so I pinched my nose and blew to clear them. Let me explain what happened enternally.

Sinus fluid inside my sinus passage was forced into my inner ear cavity. I am no doctor, but from what I understand this is where your body gets all of it sense of balance from. Maybe a medical professional here could go into further detail.

Consequently I spent the next couple of hours with my world spinning. I felt dizzier than if I was super duper black out drunk. I ending up with severe vomitting and hardly able to walk. I was stumbling like I was drunk. I could not even drive myself to the doctor, a co-worker had to. By the way I was completely sober at work :)

Anyway I thought I would post this because I thought "What if I that fluid went in my inner ear on a skydive?"

Now I have been accused of thinking highly of my "mad skillz" in regards to skydiving, but I will tell you my skills would have been no match to keep myself from hurting, or killing myself, or even worse someone else, if I was experiencing that on a skydive. I can land downwind, crosswind, acurately, and am confident under my canopy, but I would not have wanted to try that landing. I couldn't even walk or see straight lol.

So my lesson I learned....if I have a cold I am skipping the jumping until I am 100 percent. No little cold is worth that possible outcome.

If this has been addressed before apologies for the repeat thread, and just figured there are probably jumpers out there that have not thought of this possibility and wouldn't want them to learn the hard way.

Blue ones.
I am an asshole, but I am honest

I had that happen to me while I was driving on the freeway about a month ago. Went to clear my ears, and the whole world started spinning! I pulled over and it went away after a minute. This was after doing a bunch of jumps while sick with a cold so I can see the concern. Luckily when it happens to me, it is very temporary. I can't imagine how bad it would suck to feel that for an extended period of time.
BASE 1384

Unfortunately my issue is still not resolved completely. Doc put me on Dramamine to help with nauseau, a prescription nasal spray to reduce inflamation, and continued pseudophedrine to dry it out. Could take a week or two to go away completely.

Just thought of how many times I have cleared my ears on the way to altitude only to jump out. Not smart if there is any fluid in there I learned. I have never experienced anything like this before.

And I agree it is bad ettiquette to risk getting others sick! My bad :(

Unfortunately my issue is still not resolved completely. Doc put me on Dramamine to help with nauseau, a prescription nasal spray to reduce inflamation, and continued pseudophedrine to dry it out. Could take a week or two to go away completely.

Please beware with pseudoephedrine. That drug is forebidden in some EU countries because of the high risc of addiction and causing the heart problems. It works only on the symptoms and not on the real cause of the problem.

Don't jump when you've got cold and check your ears (clearing) after every jump, imediatly after the landing, or even after opening. During the fall yawn and swallow often.

Please beware with pseudoephedrine. That drug is forebidden in some EU countries because of the high risc of addiction and causing the heart problems.

Banning it would never work in the US. That would dry up the entire methamphetamine economy. Then the trailer parks would disappear. The only benefit would be fewer tornadoes.

Please beware with pseudoephedrine. That drug is forebidden in some EU countries because of the high risc of addiction and causing the heart problems.

Banning it would never work in the US. That would dry up the entire methamphetamine economy. Then the trailer parks would disappear. The only benefit would be fewer tornadoes.

Fewer reported tornados.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Fewer reported tornados.

No; actual tornadoes.

Consequently I spent the next couple of hours with my world spinning. I felt dizzier than if I was super duper black out drunk. I ending up with severe vomitting and hardly able to walk. I was stumbling like I was drunk. I could not even drive myself to the doctor, a co-worker had to.

It takes me a lot of money in drugs and alcohol to feel this way. Your way sounds cheaper. I'm going to have to try.

The greatest pressure change is from sea level to 10,000 feet. So, even a hop n pop can do you in if you can't clear correctly.

What I am trying to get across to people is that you could be clearing fine, like I was, but if you have any sinus fluid in there you could force it into your inner ear doing so, and if you haven't experienced what that does to you trust me you don't want it to be on a skydive.

It is not just a clearing issue. That only will cause pain. I am talking about something entirely different that jumpers should know about.

When you ask a question like this you know people are going to give good answers, argumentative answers, stupid answers and without fail losers will hijack the thread. But if you like dropzone.com that's just part of it I guess.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and save some asshole the trouble and point out that I'm inexperienced compared to most. That said, I found what works for me and that's just what you have to do.

The greatest pressure change is from sea level to 10,000 feet. So, even a hop n pop can do you in if you can't clear correctly.

What I am trying to get across to people is that you could be clearing fine, like I was, but if you have any sinus fluid in there you could force it into your inner ear doing so, and if you haven't experienced what that does to you trust me you don't want it to be on a skydive.

It is not just a clearing issue. That only will cause pain. I am talking about something entirely different that jumpers should know about.

Your info was good. I have more experience in this area than most, I was just adding my .02. B|

I jumped a few years ago with a major head cold (Just a stupid decision) and the over pressure blew out my eardrum. I now have permanenet damage and can't scuba anymore.

Lesson leanrt. If you not sure, wait. Its not wortyh missing out on months of jumping for that one extra ....
Downsizing is not the way to prove your manhood.

I've had three ruptured ear drums in my life, one from jumping with a cold. The risk of infection to the inner ear, damage to the semi-circular canals (like the OP), permanent hearing loss, and being prohibited from activities you enjoy is not worth even a hop and pop.

- Dan G

I don't understand people jumping /SCUBA / skydiving when sick! You infect all others around you and can possible get yourself in worse shape. Is the airplane on fire? Is someone holding a gun to your head? Come on, it's not the fate of the free world.

Give yourself a chance to heal and everyone will be much happier.
Dano

Another thing to consider...I've seen people blow eardrums and I've blown my sinuses up twice when I thought I was pretty much over the cold, was fine jumping low first so thought I'd be OK. Just had a little bit of lingering stuff and that was all it took. My sinuses are apparently small and sensitive.

I'm also with the poster that said it's not cool to share germs with your buddies. Since I'm down for weeks if I get a cold, I really don't appreciate it.

cc

I'm also with the poster that said it's not cool to share germs with your buddies. Since I'm down for weeks if I get a cold, I really don't appreciate it.

+1

Went to the gym Friday, 1/2 the people there were coughing & sneezing...now I am too. :(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You don't necessary need to infect others while sick, coughing & sneezing, specially having problems with sinuses. those symptoms are not only related with viruses infections and can be a reaction for different reasons.

I'm a perfect example at this very moment and was considering jumping last weekend, but due to the problems with sinuses I decided not to do only a h&p ;)
j.
Back to Poland... back home.

You definitely know your own body. If I'm feeling miserable, the last place I want to be is in the air or at the DZ. Rest and Yukon Jack on the rocks....

I just wouldn't chance a clogged sinus or head cold for just another skydive or hop and pop. The personal injury risk verses 3 minutes in the air, to me just isn't worth it.
Dano