leroydb

Currently jumping BASE Jumpers

Just a thought/question..

Are there any BASE jumpers out there, who have a lot of jumps, but just never bothered to get a BASE number (for whatever reason)?

I know of quite alot personally, so I am guessing that there are many many many many many more that have not bothered............

BTW, out of the first 30 BASE numbers issued, ten went to Great Britain

Thats pretty fucking cool..................

from what I hear from some of the old school jumpers, the UK were certainly up there in the progression of BASE in the early days, especially for the lower end stuff..............

perhaps a certain Mr N.S would like to pipe up and give some nice stories in NDG style??

That would be cool.............

:)

>>I think more people would care more if it were World BASE,that way it dont only link to 1 nation<<

Hi Faber,

It is . . . World BASE!!!

When jumpers starting claiming Belgium BASE number one, and New Jersey BASE number one, I was the one screaming the loudest.

It's not possible for two people to be BASE number one.

Sub-BASE number one, from New Jersey, would have been alright.

Although, I must admit by my official count "Screw BASE" is up to nineteen . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Although, I must admit by my official count "Screw BASE" is up to nineteen . . .

Um, shouldn't Screw BASE numbers be issued in pairs? How'd you end up with an odd number?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Um, shouldn't Screw BASE numbers be issued in pairs? How'd you end up with an odd number?

Sounds to me like maybe someone is getting around...

-C.

>>I think more people would care more if it were World BASE,that way it dont only link to 1 nation<<

Hi Faber,

It is . . . World BASE!!!

sorry i explained wrong the Association(only spelled correct as i have the card in my hand;)) is "United states BASE Association" which in this part of the world means that its a BASE # for people in United states:P (i do guess you aint member of DFU= Danish Faldskærms/parachute union on your skydive licens;))
Actualy my card dosnt say anything about WORLD BASE at all.
We all know that its meant that way but it dosnt say so..
If you wanted to call it somthing most would like i guess it should be somthing like World BASE org.(cant spell that long word:))
and there would still be people who didnt wanted to sign up for it...
I hope i explained it better this time

What matter is that thouse who subscribe for their BASE # makes it a part of BASE history,which has to mean somthing for all of us(that has a #)

is there a sub 200ft or sub 200ft freefall BASE# by the way? somthing i and a few UKérs once talked about..(perhaps the aussies?).

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Todd, and his brother Troy, and I are already BASE jumping for a couple of years before I first met G.B.s Simon P. Jakeman.

In America, at that time, all effort is in going lower and lower. I remember Todd saying one night about Brits, "They are light years ahead of us . . . "

I had dinner with 3 numbered, current, crew last night. (say that ten times really fast...;))
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Both people don't have to be jumpers;)
I'll get there eventually... only a few more to get!!

Jason

BTW, out of the first 30 BASE numbers issued, ten went to Great Britain

from what I hear from some of the old school jumpers, the UK were certainly up there in the progression of BASE in the early days, especially for the lower end stuff..............

perhaps a certain Mr N.S would like to pipe up and give some nice stories in NDG style??

That would be cool.............

:)

UK BAsers can be rightly proud of their heritage. We were all fired up by Carl's BASE Award and to get one we had to use the highest objects available. After the 1000' 'A' the other options were low. We ended up with 'S' 245 'B' 330 E '380'.

The secret of our pioneering success with these low objects was the UK's compact skydiving scene. At our dz we had access to the experience of top international CRW competitors. They knew how fast a square reinflated after being dropped (collapsed) from a stack. They also had an on-heading pack job - a refined ground packed 'trash pack'. This gave us the confidence to opt for the radical idea of using squares off low objects.

Our first s/l square bridge jumps in Nov '81 blew our minds into realising what was possible. Today it's hard to imagine the rapid mental adjustment of halving the skydiving opening height to a 1000' A. Then a few weeks later using only a quarter of that at 250'!

The on-heading openings and fast inflation made us realise that UK BASE was possible. Within days news had spread and other equally committed jumpers followed our example. This explains the sudden flood of UK numbers.

We also made mistakes and poor decisions along the way. Too much break tie (canopy damage) and then too little (premature breakages). The hard-core US guys who followed our example came up with safer ways to s/l.

Thread topic? I stopped a while ago and moved onto other things. But I'm still hooked on BASE and love seeing what you guys are up to.

Safe jumping guys,

Nigel

BASE 28

We ended up with 'S' 245 'B' 330 E '380'.

I was 8 years old when you guys were doing this in 1981. I wonder if I would've had the balls to do it the way you guys did (probably not, especially since mine hadn't dropped yet). You were the trail-blazers, thank you. :)
Will

>>The secret of our pioneering success with these low objects<<

To use your own words, brother, that's poppycock . . .

The BASE jumping success of Brits became possible less from a lack of altitude and a more from a big dose of desire and courage. If you blokes were born in cliff country we'd be a hundred years ahead of ourselves . . .

Out of the five or so BASE magazines ever published, Nigel's was on one of the best. . .

http://magazine.jump.co.uk/

0 for 4 on that count. [:/]

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

just as an added data point

current age = 46
avg # jumps per year past 5 years = 27
first BASE jump 1982
BASE # 93 issued in ~1986??

I really can't say i've slowed down a lot, because i never made a bunch-o-jumps per year anyway.

when i do jump i feel much more comfortable now than in the 80's because;
1. all of my jumps are a legal / quasi-legal sites.
2. as nick says, gear has improved dramatically therefor confidence / comfort has a direct correlation.

why don't i jump more often?
mainly because it doesn't take many jumps to "fill me up" with satisfaction.
and
i'm busy with other stuff that has just as high as or higher priority than Fixed Object Jumping.

be safe

kleggo

Both people don't have to be jumpers;)

Jason

Got video to prove it???
:ph34r:

May we live long and die out

Hey guys, Nick is right. Carl meant for it to be world wide. By the way, if you read the back of the green plastic BASE card it says:

"The USBA was founded in 1981 and dedicated to the safety, advancement, and positive public image of BASE jumpers and BASE jumping throughout the world"

The reason Joy and I agreed to take over the BASE numbers is first, we knew and respected Carl. Second, it connects BASE jumpers worldwide with the very beginning of BASE as a sport, and third,
Joy and I really do enjoy issuing the numbers as it is fascinating to watch the evolution of this sport and we love the stories you guys write.

Whether a person chooses to get a number or not, is their personal decision. The card is cool though.

By the way, I started Jan. 1, 1982 and got BASE # 38 in June that year. I still make a few good ones once in awhile.

Blue Skies Soft Walls
Rick and Joy Harrison