tombin

learning to skydieve

A few years ago, I did a tandem jump on the east coast and loved it. Now that I have some savings, I'm interested in doing AAF here in the bay area. I'm doing my research on different DZ's in the area and finding mixed feelings about them.

I read about places having lawsuits for riggers using drugs and drinking while packing. I'm looking to get the safest and best instruction possible. Can anyone recommend what my best route may be towards an A license? Is seeking out private instruction an option?

There are a couple of independent instructors in the Bay area. They will cheerfully teach your ground school one-on-one, but you will still end up jumping at one of the regular drop zones.

As for rumours about drugs etc. .... welcome on the on-line sport of bitching.
Hah!
Hah!

Your best bet is to visit the United States Parachute Association's website and read the list of USPA Member Groups in the Bay area. Then drive out and observe operations at two or three of them and make your own decision.

What does "skydieve" mean? I googled it but had no luck.
I thought you may have meant "skydive" and looked for adjacent letters that you could have done by accident but cannot find any. The actual post is free from spelling errors. Also, I dont no eny DZs in the Bay area that do "AAF"... The mind boggles.
Take care,
space
ps, Just messin with ya. Good morning!

What does "skydieve" mean? I googled it but had no luck.
I thought you may have meant "skydive" and looked for adjacent letters that you could have done by accident but cannot find any. The actual post is free from spelling errors. Also, I dont no eny DZs in the Bay area that do "AAF"... The mind boggles.
Take care,
space
ps, Just messin with ya. Good morning!

Eye new ewe wood dew that! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

First, go to uspa.org and do some reading. Download the Skydivers Information Manual for some additional reading.

Then get in your car and drive to each dz you are considering jumping at. Watch. Ask questions. Find out how much the training will cost, how many jumps are included, what aircraft you are likely to be jumping out of, who does the teaching, what is the dz's safety record (including aircraft safety). Find out if all the instructors are properly and currently rated by USPA for the type of instructional jump they are doing (to be a current rating holder, one must be a current member of USPA).

All that said, there's a lot to be said for training at the dropzone that is closest to you geographically, as that will likely be where you will end up doing most of your jumping.

First, go to uspa.org and do some reading. -- Download the Skydivers Information Manual for some additional reading. -- Then get in your car and drive to each dz you are considering jumping at. -- Watch. -- Ask questions. -- Find out how much the training will cost, how many jumps are included, what aircraft you are likely to be jumping out of, who does the teaching, what is the dz's safety record (including aircraft safety). Find out if all the instructors are properly and currently rated by USPA for the type of instructional jump they are doing (to be a current rating holder, one must be a current member of USPA).

Oh yeah, like anybody's ever done that. :S

First, go to uspa.org and do some reading. -- Download the Skydivers Information Manual for some additional reading. -- Then get in your car and drive to each dz you are considering jumping at. -- Watch. -- Ask questions. -- Find out how much the training will cost, how many jumps are included, what aircraft you are likely to be jumping out of, who does the teaching, what is the dz's safety record (including aircraft safety). Find out if all the instructors are properly and currently rated by USPA for the type of instructional jump they are doing (to be a current rating holder, one must be a current member of USPA).

Um, some of us do/did.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Um, some of us do/did.

how many DZ did you visited before you decided where to take your first course?

I did. I felt like I could have taught my FJC. and I will have to say that it was refreshing to those who taught me how to skydive. I visited three different dz within my area and I went to the one I decided to jump at every weekend for a month leading up to my FJC, I watched the students land and briefing etc.

It was well worth it.
"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen