justdumi

Why BASE?

Yo

I have not BASEd before but the thought is there on my mind..but i dont quite know why.

I just needed to find out more from those that have why it is that they do it. Physical exhileration or what? From one jump to the next what are you aiming at achieving? When you are jumping ..what is it that you are actually doing?

In skydiving..whether you can turn more points...or swoop much further..there is a way of telling if someone is getting better. Whats the measuring barometer in BASE? Is it measured by what you jumped off? (im shying away from saying.."and how low you opened").

What i am trying to ask is difficult to put into words but perhaps as we go along i will piece it together.

To many people who may understand the reasons for skydiving..BASE jumping may still appear to be a lottery. I believe there is more to it..but i would like to hear from those in the know.

Just do it..Dumi

Because it's fun . You can pin all kinds of stuff on BASE and it will stand up to all of them because the jump itself is so good.

BASE is very personal.... you will hear this a lot when people talk about BASE.

Think that about covers it.

:)
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Whats the measuring barometer in BASE?

that you live through each jump?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Why BASE?

Words cannot explain...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

If you feel a sharp smack and the lights go out forever...you're not very good.

Not all experiences need a metric to determine that they're valuable.

Stick with it, grasshopper...you may find illumination.

Best of luck,

:P
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

To base or not to base, that is the question,
wether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the sins and arrows of outrageous fortune,]...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I just needed to find out more from those that have why it is that they do it. Physical exhileration or what? From one jump to the next what are you aiming at achieving?

Batman training.

When you are jumping ..what is it that you are actually doing?

Have you ever watched a bird take off from its perch, fly over and land right where it wanted? Some times it feels like that. Pure freedom of flight. Other times its like a rumble in the jungle. However the jump goes, I get a huge adrenaline rush during the jump and a sweet feeling of euphoria after an injury free landing.

Other cool aspects of BASE jumping are awesome adventures in some beautiful places with some of the most interesting, fun people on earth.
I also dig the visuals of a BASE jump.
Life candy.

edit: to add picture of Batman

Sweet as...this was my 100th post...a real benchmark in my BASE career. ;)
Have Fun, Don't Die!
Johnny Utah
My Website
email:[email protected]

why?

I often question this myself, I never really come up with an answer except that something deep inside me craves it.

The wide range of emotions, the wide range of visuals, the wide range of experiences, the wide range of friends - all of these mix together and make me feel something I have never found in anything else in my life. It is very personal to me.

As far as measure goes in BASE in achievement - this is also personal. For some its to make more and more technical jumps that require alot of skill, for others its just to make a jump once in awhile, for some its to open up as many new objects as possible, for some its to just have fun off of one object, for some its to jump low, for some its to climb high and inaccessable places to jump....... to me staying safe and walking away from each jump uninjured is an achievement, anyone can jump from a fixed object, but not everyone can walk away to jump again.

Everyone goes at their own pace and makes their own jumps and has their own rules and limits and ways to make them feel what they feel.

Dont try and measure it, dont try and question it - just enjoy it and what it does for you.

Mac

PS) I wanna be batman too!! B|

Well said!!!!!!!!!!
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

some people gets fat while looking tv and smoke,i rather go out enjoy life do what i like and be whith my freinds.

BASE is all about life,having fun do what you want,before it ends...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

And some of us get fat, watch TV, go out and BASE jump, Go out with friends, and then go watch more TV.
It's a good life, and you aren't expected to climb over 700ft. Tee-Hee

and you aren't expected to climb over 700ft. Tee-Hee

so whos the real lazy boy there huh.. he he..at least i climb 400ft,sometimes:D:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

You mean there are sites where I might have to climb more than 300ft?? I may wind up losing the BEEF if I keep that up for too long. :P
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Sweet as...this was my 100th post...a real benchmark in my BASE career.

Oh young padiwan .. my posts number in the thousands. When we meet again, I will share my ways and your BASE career will really take off.

Good work on your first 100 posts. Now the real learning begins.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I just needed to find out more from those that have why it is that they do it. Physical exhileration or what?

It's a rush, the scenery is great, and waiting for your canopy to open after pitching is as peaceful and in the moment as life gets. There's something inside that just needs it.

In skydiving..whether you can turn more points...or swoop much further..there is a way of telling if someone is getting better. Whats the measuring barometer in BASE?

Skydiving's competiive aspect can ruin the sport for recreational jumpers. It's fun. Both sports are great distractions from troubles at work and in the rest of life. You don't need to quantify them.

Whats the measuring barometer in BASE? Is it measured by what you jumped off?

My two barometers of who is the best BASE jumper:

1) How much have you gotten from the sport (be it happiness, experiences, spiritual calm, etc)?

2) How much have you given back to the sport?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

My two barometers of who is the best BASE jumper:

IMHO- There is no such thing as the best BASE Jumper.

There are many very good BASE jumpers (past and present).
Everyone has their good days, and everyone has their bad days.
Have Fun, Don't Die!
Johnny Utah
My Website
email:[email protected]

Ain't any logical reasons to...

We used to consider it to be Russian roulette but once the first guy got 100 jumps our feelings changed. Then with the advancements in the gear and several jumpers passing the 1000 jump mark it felt even less so. But now the best and brightest are dying. Ain't no good reason either... I can't figure.

jon

I can't figure.

its simply fun...

why does people drink alkohol or do drugs? becourse they think its fun/nice..I tend that BASE jumpers does the same

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

why does people drink alkohol or do drugs? becourse they think its fun/nice..I tend that BASE jumpers does the same

I use this reasoning whenever I try to explain "why BASE?"

We BASE jump for the same reasons that anyone does anything--because we want to. Some people bowl, some ride motorcycles, some fish, some write novels. Every one of these people is doing so because it is something they have chosen to do.

It turns out that BASE jumpers are just the people who have chosen to do this.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Why BASE? I ask myself that on every jump, usually as I'm kitting up. The calm before the storm. On my last jump I was literally talking to myself (bad/nervous habit!) about it as I climbed over the rail. The best way I've found of describing it is that it's like a moth to a flame - you know it's a bad idea, you know you're going to get burnt and yet here you find yourself once again, climbing over a rail and having a conversation with yourself!

But when you jump and when you land in one piece you suddenly remember why. :)
Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

The best way I've found of describing it is that it's like a moth to a flame - you know it's a bad idea, you know you're going to get burnt and yet here you find yourself once again, climbing over a rail and having a conversation with yourself!

Thieving git, make up your own analogies! :P

I have not BASEd before but the thought is there on my mind..but i dont quite know why.

I just needed to find out more from those that have why it is that they do it.

When I'm standing at exit point, doing my exit count, I feel more connected to world around me than any other time in my life...

Once I step off and exit from the physical object that is connecting me to this earth, I feel freer in that moment than any other time in my life... Freedom from the world of bullshit we put up with every day... Freedom from mankind’s laws... Freedom from narrow minds… Freedom from mankind’s wars... Freedom from everyday worries... Just pure freedom from anything and everything…

So all in all, on every jump, I jump to be free…

:)
SBCmac