cvfd1399

Icarus tandem rig for big boy??

Based on your profile, you are either the former Atsbaury or you folks in Louisiana are all titty fed some high protein mom's milk. ;) It would appear that you are jumping a military HALO rig based on the canopy and reserve sizes & manufacturer.

Regarding the Icarus Tandem Canopy... Its weight -loading is 500 pounds and being semi-ellipitical has a certain amount of swoop to it the more its loaded up.

I currently use an Eclipse Tandem System which houses an Icarus 365. You can get the Icarus Tandem Canopy in 330, 365 or 400. All have a 500# weight loading. If you are jumping a HALO rig, the Icarus 330 should pack in the current D-bag nicely.

If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

Thanks It is a BIOTCHHH to find a rig that is Tso to my weight that is FF friendly. The reason I say that is one day I will want to play around with FF and I don't want to buy a rig and end up a year later not being to do anything other than belly fly.

Edited to add: yes I am jumping a MT1-XX I dare even ask if it is FF friendly. Would there ever by any mods to make one such?

The best folks to advise you on this would be either SkymonkeyOne or LouDiamond - both former MFFJMs

Unlike SM1, I still am a MFFJM;) But to answer your question about FFing in the MT-1XX. I understand your weight/size is driving the train here on this and trying to work with that in mind I wil say this. Everything on military rigs is over done so it will be plenty strong for anything you can throw at it. The riser flaps have snaps on them so riser exposure shouldn't be an issue as long as the snaps are servicable. The main closing pin is covered and snap closed as well and is in a hard housing. I am assuming you are still using the springloaded pilot chute which shouldn't be an issue since it's ripcord activated. As for the reserve pin flap, it is the only thing I can see that could come open in a sit but the flap coming open isn't really a big deal as long as your pins are properly seated. What is important is that the canopy you use fills the pack tray up correctly so that you avoid having the closing pin fall out and have a premature deployment while FFing. With all that said, I think you could use it safely but I think it may be awkward as well as heavy as hell for FFing. I would definately have a rigger look at it for any possible wear or a condition that might pose a problem by FFing it. I have seen people go head down as well as in a sit in military gear without issue and have done it myself.

With that said, I would recommend you look at a sport rig first before considering the -1XX if at all possible as I think you would find it not only more practical but comfortable as well. I know Jump Shack makes the lightest tandem sized rig on the market and that it would fit you and hold comparable sized canopies and weigh a lot less than the 1XX. I think that would be your all around best bet if you have that option. Otherwise the 1XX properly assembled would get you by.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yes, Icarus makes some of the best tandem canopies on the market.
My only caveat would be to tie all the steering toggles to one pair of steering toggles. This will simplify the question of what to grab when you turn on final approach.
Back when Strong 520 s were in fashion, we used to tie all the steering lines to a pair of toggles, just to simplify the job, so we could keep our eyes "outside the cockpit" when turning onto final approach.
A military surplus MT ??? container will work in the short run, but in the long run, I would seriously consider a modified tandem rig. Relative Workshop had published instructions on how to convert Tandem Vector II for freefall students.

Unlike SM1, I still am a MFFJM

Oops, I thought you got the memo. ;)

Keith, these young guys just slay me!

Lou has a good point about the Racer tandem: it's VERY lightweight. That said, I think any modern tandem rig would be a decent choice for hefty boy with some cash in his pocket. Modern tandem rigs are all rated to at least 500 pounds and there are some incredibly cool mains that are available for them. I am particularly fond of the Sigma 370 main, but I like Icarus (precision) tandem mains almost equally. The new Parachute Labs (Racer) Firebolt tandem is very cool as well.

Chuck
MFFJM 8557 and skydiving when Lou was shitting green!

I think I am going with the mt1-xx rig. Aubrey has one that is complete (if he would get off his ass and finish it lol) It is the same as I have been jumping I am happy with it... Later on down the road when I know what I really want to do I can buy a custom rig then. From what aubrey said the rig is gonna be really good.

MFFJM 8557

OK, you and 762 people had "yours" before I had "mine", it's all goody in the hoody;)

and skydiving when Lou was shitting green!

What are you talking about? I'm still shitting green:P
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I thought I was the worlds largest skydiver. I guess I've been topped. I was about 285 when I started, and peaked out at about 305 last year. I'm doing the low carb thing now and am down to about 260 with a goal of 235 for my birthday.

I started out on some old militaryt gutter gear with a 400 square foot 11 cell main, then I quickly went down to a ratted out Manta 288. I then went to a ZP Manta 230, and then into more sporty canopies, a Sabre 190, a Stilletto 170, and to my current, a Vengeance 150, which I was jumping at 305. I'm not reccomending that type of wing loading by any means, I just want you to realize that there is hope for skydiving at your size.

Ganja "Atkin's Friendly" Rodriguez