sabre210

re : GETTING PREPARED

After my little accident in Norway, I have come to appreciate how lucky I was to have hurt myself at a relatively accessible object with people who were ready and equipped to deal with me. A simple thing like the leg splint they used made a huge amount of difference to both the physical and pyshcological discomfort.

Consequently i have decided to put together a more comprehensive emergency kit should one be required in the event of non-critical injuries which could be dealt with by us without having to call in emergency services and bring unwanted attention to the site.

The first thing i have purchased is a box of said splints for various body parts. These can remain in the car, except a leg one which i will keep in my stash bag pouch for instant use on site. I also figure a survival blanket would be useful to keep the injured party warm.

Do many of you have such a kit and if so, what essentials would you recommend i purchase for mine?

Crutches....

Dressings to control bloodflow...

Good (prescription) painkillers...

A torch....

Emergency phone charge thingy (dunno what they are called, but they are small and light)....

A cigarette and lighter :P:S
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

For anyone that hasn't seen Dexterbase's article:

BASE jumping injuries and treatment in the field

Ian I bought a little 1st aid kit to keep in the car the weekend we went to PP, just bandages really to cover wounds and stem bleeding. But you're right to think about having a more serious collection of kit - provided you (by which I mean we) know how to use it properly.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

After my little accident in Norway, I have come to appreciate how lucky I was to have hurt myself at a relatively accessible object with people who were ready and equipped to deal with me. A simple thing like the leg splint they used made a huge amount of difference to both the physical and pyshcological discomfort.

Consequently i have decided to put together a more comprehensive emergency kit should one be required in the event of non-critical injuries which could be dealt with by us without having to call in emergency services and bring unwanted attention to the site.

The first thing i have purchased is a box of said splints for various body parts. These can remain in the car, except a leg one which i will keep in my stash bag pouch for instant use on site. I also figure a survival blanket would be useful to keep the injured party warm.

Do many of you have such a kit and if so, what essentials would you recommend i purchase for mine?

its funny this should now be a thought with you. During my recovery I have decided there are things I want to do and have before I jump again.

1) crutches and trauma kit in my car
2) Decent first aid training (someone was there to realign my foot as they "knew" what to do and why to do it, to stop the risk of mr loosing it)
3) Battle Gear (i never really wore much other than knee pads
4) Decision on who I am juming with (I thank the people with me)
5) A plan and decision should anything go wrong (sometimes we forget hey!)
6) a tool kit - this was needed to take out fencing to get me away from the landing area without needing to call anyone.

I managed to get out of the landing area and hospital without calling anyone, without the resources and knowledge of the people with me it could have been a lot worse..........

Nice!!!!!!! Mental note .... don't biff in whilst jumping with Gardner ...... one day it might happen ( the jumping not the biffing).

On a serious note, if i could lay my hands on Morphine that would definitely go in my kit.

sorry to hear mate,im whith Gardner...

I do wear 2 morphine pills,a small flashlight(thouse red once) and my cell phone.Oh and i always wear a belt..

In the car i have the normal first aid kit we should bring in the car here(to minor injuryes).

I dont think more is nessesarry,at least not when im jumping solos as i am... If im hurt on my own and need help ill phone my GC to carry me out of there,if im in such a bad shape that i either will lose movement or my life i will not hesitate to call an ambulance.

only thing i missed at my injury were:
morphine,cellphone,flashlight and compagny besides my videocam:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

its funny this should now be a thought with you.

Funny peculiar , or funny ha ha???

I've always carried a basic kit including painkillers and bandages etc but my accident made me realise that stuff would be woefuly inadequate if i had to get someone out of a compound and half a mile back to the car with a shattered leg and every move was agony. The splints i have bought will make a big difference in such an emergency as would a stretcher. I too have decided to do a thorough first aid course.

Also on the list are ropes and slings and a harness. ANy more suggestions.???

but my accident made me realise that stuff would be woefuly inadequate if i had to get someone out of a compound and half a mile back to the car with a shattered leg and every move was agony.

welcome to my world.................

its funny this should now be a thought with you.

Funny peculiar , or funny ha ha???

I've always carried a basic kit including painkillers and bandages etc but my accident made me realise that stuff would be woefuly inadequate if i had to get someone out of a compound and half a mile back to the car with a shattered leg and every move was agony. The splints i have bought will make a big difference in such an emergency as would a stretcher. I too have decided to do a thorough first aid course.

Also on the list are ropes and slings and a harness. ANy more suggestions.???

funny ha ha as I am thinking the same..........

the big factor in my accident was that my foot was so baldy dislocated that it had to be realingned to stop the restriction of blood flow and loosing it - how many people have the knowledge and thought to sort that out?

I never want to be in the position of this happening to a friend and not knowing what to do...................

... the fact is also the people there thought my injury was xxxxx when infact it turns out it is xxxxxx - first aid training is the best thing ever, the kit you may have is useless without the training!

Hm.... May be is't not a very important question but...
Faber, do you remember I didn't took the morphine pill? I know that it's very usefull to have the good painkillers and just several day after my visit to your place I had the chance to realise it.
But I'm not sure that it's good everythere. I mean you need that things not on every jump (hopefully :P) but on the same time some jumps that you make are illegal. Then you are busted in Russia the police check your pockets and gear. If they found something like morphine you may have some drug related problems. It's not about the jumps in the sity only. Here they can search you even on the way to object.
Sure that if you in the real trouble it doesn't matter. You just try to safe your life. But...
Do you have such problems in Europe or in USA?
Between two evils always pick theone never tried

I take all the drugs I have on me regardless of whether I'm injured or not. This will prevent any problems with the law.

Edited to add...This also prevents them going smelly after the take-by date.

Morphine pills? You lightweights. Jacking up is the only way to go.;)
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

Are We There Yet . . . ?

To get to a doctor I took a 75 mile ride in the back of a small car with both my legs broken and I would have killed for morphine.

Instead, I just chewed my way through the car's headrests . . .

Nick :)BASE 194

fuck man you beat me by one leg and 15 miles....................

its a shit deal sometimes not burning an object!.............

Lee yes i do rember and i do respect:)
Here you wont be hold up if you look as normal as you do:ph34r:therefore they´ll never find it as they will never look for it.Besides so far my leg is still swallowed each day and my scars are so fine that if i get in trouble i tell its for that.

I were asked in a DK airport and i showed my leg,no problems.

when i visit,im sure my doc will have a note for me that i need to wear theese pills in case i hurt my really sore leg;)

did you get some good vid?I will soon upload the vid from your visit, i just need some time were i dont jump:P

by the way the 3 chimneys we talked about from the A were we climbed down are now open,scarry shitB|:D

A Hello from Lene and the kids(your now named the cool russian girl;))

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

After thinking about what's needed, you might want to draught up a plan of action for specific types of injuries
and what order to do things in (like a checklist),

i.e. what to call in & what you can ride out - getting a car ready for a patient that may have to be on his back
- a list of what you have done/treated/administered (for the A&E people) and maybe who gets busted if it comes to it.

Once you have that information together, have it laminated and stick it in with your kit.

A list/map of 2-3 local (ish) hospitals and their facilities might be useful as well as up-to-date contact numbers.

I think having a plan is better than having the kit and no plan.

Btw.. I would recommend a good head torch, as it leaves those trembling hands free. :)

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

C-Collar
oxygen
traction splint
back board
head blocks for back board
4x4 dressings
multi-trauma dressings
wire and cardboard splints
blankets
gauze and tape to secure the splints
beer

Ashermans chest seal (In case of tree landing/lung puncture) 15$
Traumadex blood clotting kit. 25$
Sam splint 15 $ (Very light /multi-useable)
Lots of gauze and 2-4 rolls of 2" athletic tape.
Silver Sulfadiazine ointment to use to keep gauze from sticking if burnt by rope/cables/electricity.(Silvadene) 15$
Epi-Pen if you are in the back-country. 25$ (Never know who's allergic to bee's and stuff)
Sterile Saline Solution 5$ (Gotta clean stuff out and off some times right?)
Super Diarrada tummy fixer stuff. $10-25 Antibiotics if you are going anywhere remote (Ciprofloxicin). (Nothing sucks more than a torn up tummy )
Backboards are great, but a 2-piece basket is the way to go if you need to hike/rappel down and transport someone by hand/rope/helicopter. $900.00 (Worth every cent if you ever need it. )
An I.V. kit is great if you can get your hands on it. Liquids and O2 can due wonders to stabilize a victim
Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com

An I.V. kit is great if you can get your hands on it

better throw in a idots guide to starting I.Vs book while you are at the store.:P

whats so hard about doing an IV? wait... let me take that back
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

From my experiences the most common error is hitting a valve, or blowing it out. Both sound enjoyable tho.B|

Go take a first responder course, get backcountry response training if you are really serious about dealing with the real potential injuries you may see in base.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --