unclecharlie109

Heli Boogie Report - Thank You Stavanger BASE Klub

I'm not sure if you are infering this about Outrager or not

No this is more of a question and also an observation of some, far from all experienced jumpers.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

YES, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. The business is there all the summer. The rules are there also all the summer. The prices are going up, up and up while the living cost in norway are not going up, up and up...Besides...let me give you an example. An experienced norwegian basejumper can not take his friend and train him up to launch him from Kjerag, even everybody knows he is skilled to be instructing...No, hes friend has to pay a fucking expensive course by Stavangerbase...That is buisness. It is not safety...

Thanks for clearing up a few things. I now see where a lot of people's frustrations are. I still hope to visit the site in the future and will do what I need to do to jump ($$$ ... aghh ... if need be). But I guess if man can taint Everest, we can taint Kjerag.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I am concerned if your comments about Kjerag have anything to do with new(er) BASE jumpers wanting to jump at this site. I could be mistaken, but there seems to be many older BASE jumpers which do NOT like newbies like myself getting into their sport (or was that their lifestyle). It's one thing for a new jumper to burn a site that a more established jumper put effort into building (I see that as an issue that newer jumpers need to consider). But why is it that many more established BASE jumpers do not like people who are taking up the sport, period? Are we newbies at fault for wanting to jump? Ultimately the gear manufacturers will go out of business if new blood is not allowed to get into the sport.

Not at all. My comments had to do with a conclusion, based on newspaper articles and conversations with jumpers, that police was invited to raid the boogie by insiders. I will not comment further until i get more specific info.

Regarding the new jumpers, nothing can be better for the sport! They bring all the energy, motivation and spirit to push the limits over the horizon. In our little neck of the woods 90% of the current objects have been open and are currently maintained by "beginners". I wouldn't make half as many jumps if they didn't drag my lazy ass off the couch. I understand there are people who would like to freeze the time... but it's stupid and futile. I hope there wasn't any misunderstanding here ;)

bsbd!

Yuri.

Let me ask this: If I magically appeared in Norway with a rig over my shoulders, and wanted to jump the cliffs... Are you saying that even if it is legal, it isn't free? How much and to whom would I have to pay to jump a cliff that is already several thousand dollars away? Would I have to pay club dues? Pay for each jump I make? Pay for a heli that the club gets a cut of the profit?

Don't know anything about it, just asking...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

Thanks for clearing this up for those quick to defend over agressive foreign pigs. Nobody said smoking was legal in Norway (hard to believe because the hash is coming out of the woodwork there). But the fact of the matter is that lots of people do smoke in Amsterdam (where it is legal), and then go to Norway to jump. The disturbing thing is that now what you carry around in your bloodstream is subject to investigation even if you have done nothing wrong. I would have given them a piss sample... for a taste test. Fuck Norway.

YEs. You would have to pay to join the Norwegian Base Association. But its been that way for a while. Most experienced jumpers just blow off the demand but its probably just gotten worse. I enjoyed sepnding a summer in Kjerag, and all over Norway. Had a blast too. But if this story is correct I would not piss on their cliffs now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simply if we dont like it we should just stay away..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is hard to stay away from your own home...I understand if you mean a serten legal building but a whole mountain is a different story...

i do feel for you guys,and i do agree that it aint fair play if an experienced jumper cant teach up there.
I never went up there(i dont like the big crowd thing),i dont know if i will,but i know i will visit Norway and jump somewere else.

Im not familiar by the locations up there so i cant say shit and even what i say means 0 for you that has the pain of not beeing alowed to jump free were you live.My statement were most minded at people traveling to the cliff.

I personaly just see it as rules for an object,but hey i dont have to live whith them...

Only thing i can do is saying that your welcome at my freeplace,hopefuly noone will restrict that anytime soon:|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I wouldn't make half as many jumps if they didn't drag my lazy ass off the couch.

and packs your canopy:P:D:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

YEs. You would have to pay to join the Norwegian Base Association.

Woah, that's weird. At a drop zone, you pay a drop zone owner to cover the costs of the plane, fuel, facilities, etc. What cost is incurred if I hike up a mountain and jump from a cliff? Who owns that cliff? There's a boat ride, but I can pay for that separately.

I don't have an issue with trespassing so long as an object is respected. But when the those being trespassed upon are fellow jumpers -- that's an odd situation. I understand that the reasoning is to keep the object open and protect those that jump it, but, for the most part, that's done very well through a system of good faith and mentorship.

I have no doubt that the quality of the instruction is top notch and the knowledge and wisdom coming from world class, experienced jumpers is worth a little kickdown. But forcing payment for access to something you don't own seems yucky. I'm sure I'll head over there at some point. I'll happily pay the join the NBA and I'll play by the rules. But at the back of my mind, I will find it strange that I have to pay to do something that doesn't cost anyone a dime but myself.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

cost is incurred if I hike up a mountain and jump from a cliff

If you slam into the cliff... it helps out with search and rescue. It's a small price to pay.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

If you bring a car,boat and driver, jumping at Kjerag is totally free!

If you don't, you can hike from the camping and swim back from the landing. A bit of a hassle, but still free!

But if you prefer being driven up the road and get a boat ride back from the landing, you have to pay for that... The jump is still free, but you have to pay for the transport to and from the jump....
If you, like most people, choose the last option, you also have to follow Stavanger BASE Club's rules and pay the registration fee.
Any of the other options, and you can do whatever you want...

Your choice
:P

Have a nice day!!!!!!

Atle Dahl
See what I'm saying? Thats what I'm saying! What am I saying? I DON'T KNOW!!

I must say that it is amazing how much crap we get here. I just want to tell how a few things realy are.
Drug ride: The police contacted me and told me that they may would show up during the weekend, I did tell a couple of the jumpers in Lysebotn so they could spread the word. This is the first time they have had a drug ride in Lysebotn. And what they did find was a small amount of hasj. 4 people got a find, 1 non jumper and 3 jumpers.

Business: Everything cost money. We have boats to bring you back from the landing are the boats is also for people who lands in the water, SAFETY! I don’t have the numbers of how many people we have rescued from the water, but it is not few. Car to bring people up to the start of the trail is also an expensive unit we have. The shop cost a lot, nothing is for free. After 10 years of experience in kjerag, where 8 jumpers ended their lives, we have learned a lot how to try to prevent these fatalities and I’m sure we have saved many lives by the work we do here. The latest we have got is the “Pendulator” who have reduced bad exits on the students by 80 %, SAFETY! We do work for safety!!

If anyone believes we are getting rich in Lysebotn. Here is some facts for this year. 4 of us in Stavanger BASE klubb have paid from our own pockets 11.000 USD each, of course we expect to get the money back in a 3-5 years period of time. We have 1000-1500 hours of work to get the new boat ready, removed some boulders on the landing area where people have been badly hurt and remodelling the shop. Last year we made the bridge on the top where we had some injuries from jumpers going through the snow bridge, all this to benefit jumpers.
One third of the reg. fee is going to the rescue foundation. The other monye are going to replace items in the first aid cit, ice packs and administration.
Fore those who think this sucks, you don’t have to travel to kjerag for making basejumps, the world is full of places to jump. For those who think this is ok, I will thank you for your support and of course everybody are always welcome to kjerag to make long delays and safe basejumps.

Best regards
Stein
www.basekjerag.com

Yo !

I would like to say that i have received sufficient information to believe that Stavanger BASE Club had nothing to do with a drug raid, and in fact put a word about it in advance. It still sucks that such a shameful event happened... keep your guards up! This world is not free and safe - be it cops, rangers or gravity.

As the money goes: i have been in Kjerag every year since '96. The cliffs have not changed much since then. You can come and jump them exactly as they were. There is extra service provided, such as a bus ride up and a boat ride out. You can compete by driving your own car and flying a wingsuit back to the campground, for example. If this is beyond your current abilities - suck it up and pay or invest in a competing service that will drive the price down. This setup is actually a classic natural monopoly, but this is how the wolrd operates - not because you can't, it's just not worth it to start a competing service when the first one is doing a reasonable job.

I personaly hate rules and rigidly organized places. However there's always a fine balance between total freedom and chaos, between the law and common sense to brake it :P You take chances and win - or loose. This is how the laws of nature work, don't be surprised when human laws follow the pattern. Just don't be caught and have fun! B|

bsbd!

Yuri.

it`s true.. smoking pot it`s ilegal in norway BUT... and there is a a big BUT a lot of norvegians do it and all the autorithies knows about it... thay made this raid at the boogie just because there WAS A BOOGIE with a lot of foreigners who had money... they dont kare about soft drugs in day by day... u can easy smoke on the street in oslo and noone say nothing...
it`s strange because all over the Europe where are this kind of boogies (music festivals) the "officials" including police shut their eyes at the soft drugs
just because foreigners spent a lot of money there... and the politics is... let them smoke if they spent money there
i think "someone" was very disturbed there and call them 2 made this raid

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

I just got back from 12 days in Lysebotn, including the heli-boogie. I have nothing but good things to say for the Stavanger BASE Klubb, Stein, Vibeke, Kim, Ronny, Elin, Karen, and the rest of the crew. We had a great time in Lysebotn, despite the rain that seemed to appear everyday:)

I met many new friends and got to make some very cool jumps with a few others. The 10-way was wild (thanks to Simon for the visuals). The birdmen rocked and the tracking pants were very popular.

I captured about 300+ photos that I will post online in a few days.

Again, thanks to everyone involved in the heli-boogie. Let us know when you come to the US and we'll return the favor!!
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I am glad to hear that no jumpers had anything to do with busting other jumpers. I spent all of summer 2001 in Kjerag and had a blast. Everyone was cool and we partied all the time. The cost for the Bus and boat rides worked out to about $7.00 a jump, and was well worth the high quality service. Not to mention, without Stein's family supporting Kjerag with the campground and White House, Kjerag would never have been very accessible and certainly would not have become one of the biggest international BASE meeting spots on Earth.

I am still upset that the Norwegian police would waste their time going to Lysebotn to bust a few pot smokers. It sounds fishy, and certainly un-inviting. Sorry to all the Norgies for jumping to conclusions. I've met you all and really couldn't understand how this incident came to pass. Best wishes for continued success.

Tree :)

Let me ask this: If I magically appeared in Norway with a rig over my shoulders, and wanted to jump the cliffs... Are you saying that even if it is legal, it isn't free? How much and to whom would I have to pay to jump a cliff that is already several thousand dollars away? Would I have to pay club dues? Pay for each jump I make? Pay for a heli that the club gets a cut of the profit?

Don't know anything about it, just asking...

although Norway can have a DZ feel about it with the amount of jumpers there and the fact you have to give some money over for registration etc - dont let this mislead you into thinking it a bad thing - the stavanger BASE Klubb do good things, and without them Norway would be so much more a hassle - I bet you will be glad of them if you happen to get hung up off one off the cliffs hey!

its not a lot of money to pay - and althought I am so anti "legal big group BASE" ( for personal reasons) I still went to Norway and paid my money and was thankful for what they did for me..................

I am certainly not a big boogie jumper type of person - but I did not bitch about the money I paid for me to jump the beautiful cliffs of Norway.............

I second that....just got back Monday night.
No one in the Norgie.Club is getting Rich.
The van ride up hill, a few kilometers.
And a boat ride back to shore is a small
price to pay. There are costs & overhead.
The boat especially is a safety factor issue.
If there is a problem, you got pulled out of
very cold water fast.
Also they are on top of it. If by chance you
ever get hung up on a ledge and need Evacuation.
A couple of people were grounded for that
Eagles Nest Screw-up, But that was bad
judgment, during an organized BASE event.

I also noticed that the Stavanger BASE club
purchased, Ten new complete BASE rigs in a
assortment of sizes from B.R. To add a even
Higher degree of safety for that person being
Trained up for His or Her first jump. Face it
people go there to do there first jump based on
the extra height of that object (3000 ft.) as we
all know height does not make it safer. so I say
Do what it takes to make a FJC a high standard.

The only rule that I really was told to follow
at the Heli-Boogie was Keep your canopy
rides over 15 seconds. but only for 3 days
Dont kill yourself.
Have fun. Pretty much do what you want.
The jumps are Quality. You can go there and
hit it as hard as you want to jump.
I had some really good jumps. Great time.

OK. It was made to sound that there was essentially a "passage fee", even if you had all the resources necessary to do it yourself. That's evidently not the case. As far as rescue costs, does it really fall upon the NBA to pay? That definitely justifies a membership fee.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Rescue costs are borne by the government, mostly. But if the government has to bear too much of them, they'll just stop the jumping, I'd think. Hence, having a jumpers group contributing to rescue costs is (a) very good PR, and (b) a major proactive step in maintaining site access.

I'll pay the fees to the Stavanger folks, thanks. I think if you worked out how much they make for each hour they've put in, you'd find they're making something very negative (right now), and something like a dollar an hour (in the long term).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

They will also let you water ski behind the big bilkot (boat) on the way back from the landing area. It was like club med BASE. :)

Most of the comments here are made by "basetourists" from other countries, comming for few days to Norway, to make as many jums as possible. They have hopefully greate time and leave the country with good vibes from the base Mekka. There is absolutely no doubt the Stavanger BASE people are nice persons and does a greate job to satisfie the guests!

However, it is not the current situation that worrys most. It is the direction things are evolving(in a matter of years). And if the things goes to far, it is hard to reverse them...

I also noticed that the Stavanger BASE club
purchased, Ten new complete BASE rigs in a
assortment of sizes from B.R. To add a even
Higher degree of safety for that person being
Trained up for His or Her first jump.

Before, the norwegian jumpers staying in Lysebotn could earn some money on renting their gear to the visitors/first timers during the summer. Also pakking work could give them some dollars to buy a pizza and a beer in the restaurant. (Also experienced jumpers could teach their own students). Now the Stavanger BASE club LTD will get all the income of this...Wherever people invests their own money, they are looking for personal benefit. That means it is in order to gain profit, nothing else. And wherever the money talks, the bullshit walks. Once again it is good for the tourists, but there are many "local" (norwegian and international) jumpers that do not like the situation where somebody takes total controll of a jumpsite and makes it a comercial DZ!

The drug-raid might be related to this aswell. As Stein writes. Stavanger BASE club LTD "was informed" (if not asked the police to come [thats personal opinion]) that police and dogs would come to the boogie, but there was no information aviable about that to the jumpers. Why??? A few people got the raid-warning, while others did not...Hmmmmmm