Vapor

Favorite shoes?

This is a bit basic, but I can't find any back posts -- I've been wearing New Balance trail running shoes all through AFF and they cushion landing shock pretty well, but little ankle support... I'm still kinda twitchy on my flare and I'll take all the cushioning I can get.

Anyone have a favorite pair of jumping shoes?

----------------------------------------
'Of course it hurts. The trick is not *minding* that it hurts.'
- T.E. Lawrence

I truely prefer skateboard type shoes. That also has to do with sliding out high-performance landings. I found that running shoes "griped" a little much for that. That's just a personal observation, though.

Currently I have a pair of Etnie (sp?) (you know, the skateboard shoes with the big M on the side). This is my second pair I've bought just for skydiving. Before that, I had a pair of Airwalks.

Basically, find something that's comfortable and offers a bit of protection to your feet. Sandals look cool, but I've seen broken toes and scrapped up feet from wearing them.

Wearing boots would give you the best protection, but I have heard more then a few folks voice opinions that they wouldn't jump with anyone wearing boots. For their own protection (getting kicked in the head doing FF/RW, for example).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I wore shoes with lots of ankle support for part of my AFF. honestly, they caused nothing but trouble. shoes with ankle support prevent you from easily bending your ankles. Although they're a bit better for landing, they SUCK for maintaining proper body position during freefall.

I wore shoes with lots of ankle support for part of my AFF. honestly, they caused nothing but trouble. shoes with ankle support prevent you from easily bending your ankles. Although they're a bit better for landing, they SUCK for maintaining proper body position during freefall.

I use basketball shoes because I wanted the ankle support. And at size 12.5, I have found I'm doing OK without booties so far. :ph34r: My feet sting sometimes on touching down, especially if they're cold. But I don't see any other shoe helping that. I just need to flare better or wear thicker socks (to keep my feet warm).

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I like those and I like the Cmax "Designer" shoes...

I have been jumping a pair of Airwalk skate shoes for quite awhile.... or at least until my accident last February. While I was down... I went searching for a Half-Top basketball shoe and found some Reeboks on sale at Just For Feet...

I wanted to have more ankle support but not so much that it impaired flexing like full-on high-tops.... but more than just a skate sneaker... and certainly not as heavy as a hiking or military boot.

The reeboks aren't heavy, good ankle support, BLACKB|, and the tread isn't so harsh that I can slide on landing if I need to and don't get too grabby. The tread is grippy enough to stay on the camera step as well...

A mid or half-top B-Ball shoe would be my suggestion.

GraficO
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

I have 4 pairs of Nike Air Max... And 3 pairs of Nike Air other shoes but those are more for inside so I don´t jump those when the grass is wet.

The are the best for cushioning! I tried a couple of other shoes but didn´t like those.

3 of my Nikes have the laces ´inside´ and the flap tucked mostly away, which is good for CReW...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I love my old school Vans slip ons. They suck for impact absorption and provide no ankle support but they look cool.

Best shoes I've had for jumping was a pair of mid-high Nike Air basketball shoes.

I'm considering a pair of lightweight trail running shoes next.

i wear Addidas Stan Smith's. Yes, the velcro ones. Or as some americans call them, special need's shoes...

I wear them as i used to wear lace ups, but while trying to traverse from one vert ramp to another on my BMX, i got a lace caught in the chain and i fell hard. Velcro doesn't get caught :)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

You're not a real skydiver until you jump with a pair of Chuck Taylor!

Word!

Chucks all the way. No ankle support and no cushioning, but they're cheap, comfortable, fit into my booties, and slide great on landing.

Oh, and chick dig them.

- Dan G

I'm currently sporting a pair of Airwalks, because I'm into h/p landings. My wife calls them my "swoopy shoes". I like them because the treads are very small, so I should be able to slide easily. They were also quite cheap.

That said, if I was to buy shoes specifically for AFF, they would have big treads and good ankle support. That said, I don't know anyone who's bought new shoes just for AFF...

The day were people needed to buy a pair of combat boots just for landings are thankfully over. A reasonably good general purpose athletic shoe should be fine.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Very cool site, CMAX. What's their real-world delivery time like? I'm slowly learning to adjust my thinking from the 24-hour-rush whuffo world to our little bubble of hand-stitching...;)

----------------------------------------
'Of course it hurts. The trick is not *minding* that it hurts.'
- T.E. Lawrence

What's their real-world delivery time like?

I got notice that my shoes were being built about two days after the order and I had them on my door step approx 8 days later, no complaints. They are WAY more comfortable then my Airwalks or Vans and have survived everything since WFFC up until now with every day use and no issues, except people asking "where did you get those shoes?" all the time:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Beat-down tennis shoes. By then I've worn off enough tread so they slide on landing as needed and I'm not worried about tearing them up because I've already replaced them (for running).

Ankle support is nice, but I think that if you really need that ankle support on a landing, you'll wish you'd had something more rigid than high-tops. And as has already been pointed out, that can curb your fine-tuning in freefall and tracking.

Blue Skies!
-=Christy=-
D-21464

Favorite shoes ??

none at all.

freeflying barefoot is great.

during the winter when I have to wear them

skateboard shoes.. for the reasons listed before..

decent grip on the grip tape supplied on most A/C doors so I dont slip, and flexible enough for manuevers in freefall and great for sliding out landings.

be warned.. jumping barefoot is dangerous... I have torn up my feet twice.. but worth it.

maybe Im just too freedom oriented for my own good.

Blue Ones

D27808