Twoply

Break Cord Alternatives?

I've seen and heard of jumpers using different things to static lining themselves off objects, one being electrcal tape. This is very interesting to me because of it's availablility at any time should I run out or bring too little break cord. I've heard of jumpers wrapping the bridle twice thereby equaling, to some degree, break cord. Is this a common practice out there somewhere or is it an outdated technique?
What are some other substitutions aout there?

Thanks!

Mike

Plastic garbage bags cut in to strips and rolled, play with the width until you have enough force. Arne from Iceland recommended monofilament fishing line as it is rated for strength or breaking point. The cool thing about polymers is they stretch to the breaking point without much recoil. I hope this helps.
take care,
space

The electrical tape rule I learned was 2 wraps under the bridle (on the object), then the bridle, then 3-5 wraps above it.

I've seen a huge number of things used as break cord alternatives: electrical tape, plastic bags, condoms--you name it and it's been tried.

I like the fishing line idea. Break cord itself is cheap and easy to carry, too.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I have used red danger tape, avail. at any hardware store. 1 roll will probably last a lifetime. I have since gone to break cord, being that the tensile strength has been tested, and the other stuff only in the field.

I've been using a fishing line called "spiderwire" for many years. It's 50pound test, and made out of spectra. I double up on it to achieve 100pd. Of course the knot will reduce this amount to around 80pds or so. One small spool has lasted for about 6 years, using only about 6 inches at a time(no jokes here:D) I can't remember the price, but it was less than $20.00 I'm sure. I use a double fisherman's knot to join the ends together, just make sure to square knot the loose ends also. This stuff is slick and will pull through most knots easily. It actually comes with a diagram detailing this I believe.

As always. It's all theory
Mike

May we live long and die out

* When there is a will, there is a way.*
-True Story-

While on the top of a very new object at the time.
I looked over to the right at a scruffy, weathered weed of a bush.
Sticking out of a cup of dirt between two rocks, a few feet from the exit.
Dude you wouldn't grab this pile of sticks if your life depended on it.
I noticed tied to this bush was, several pieces of old Boot Lace, knotted together,
Tied to a Binocular strap.
It seems that D.W. was there a couple of days earlier and had no one to P.C.A. him off the rock.
So that is all he had in his possession at the time to make a static line to tie his Pilot Chute off, to
get close enough to the edge to launch.

Twoply,
didn't you take off your pantyhose at the exit point and use those once?

Matt Davies

Yeah mate,

I was with him and we strung together all the bits of stuff we had with us so he wouldn't rip up his PC. That was the deal he'd PCA me first then SL himself but I had to give up my binocular strap.

I was later inspired to tie off to a daggy bush on top of a cliff in Oz. Dam glad the bush didn't rip out by the roots.

Answering the original thread. In Oz we use electrical tape a lot. I have made literally hundreds of jumps with it from all objects. There is no one science that says two wraps - five wraps or whatever. Use your noggin and test it before you jump. When its cold (ice or wet) and the tie off point has sharp edges - I wrap a lot more - if its round and a smooth surface - less wraps. But I always give it a tug to see if its enough to open my rig and lift the canopy. Simple idea and common sense stuff.

I either loop it through the eye of the bridle where the PC attaches or I tie a loop in the bridle near the PC and run it through that. What's nice is a I have a tape in the leg starp of every one of my five rigs so I am ready to go to a PCA at a moments notice. You need it in Oz.

I have been very impressed with the stuff - it is very simple. NB I always SL with a large PC on just in case.

Funny thing is it is far more predictable deployment than a PCA from someone your not sure about.

Luv Slim

Hmmm, how about some bailing twine or maybe a Trojan tied together??;)
For a buck a yard or less for military spec break cord why use anything else?!?!?
Really, I am asking! It just doesn't seem to make sense to me.
Also, a friend showed me how to back up the break cord with another piece of break cord to ensure it all happens in the right order. Seems like a good idea for the really low stuff!?
SabreDave

Valid Point Mr Sabre Dave,

It's just that electrical tape is readily accessible at any petrol station or grocery store on the planet. Break cord isn't.

I understand that it may then be argued "Why don't you buy heaps of it and carry it with you?"

Unfortunately not all jumpers plan so well ahead in advance and forget to bring it. Tape is very easy to get readily and I would argue that it really does work well with some common sense.

Regards

Slim

First question, does the tape stay on the object?

Second, being new to base this might get me flamed, but if tape is left, dosent that break the "leave no trace rule"
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Question about SL: I suppose you need to S-fold the bridle ( I have seen it one the "carry-on SL pictures").

But the bridle should unfold BEFORE opening the rig...

How do you do that?

Is it possible to use a rubber band somehow tied to the rig?

Any advice?

Fabien
BASE#944

> But the bridle should unfold BEFORE opening the rig...
Yes indeed.

> Is it possible to use a rubber band somehow tied to the rig?
Rubber band: yes. Tied to the rig: no. The most reasonable and accepted way to "keep" the S-folds on bridle is to place a rubber band on bridle itself, holding the S-folds.
Just be careful that the strength exerted by rubber bands on bridle S-folds MUST be WEAK. The S-folds must release themselves WAY before opening container (this is a major issue on pin rig where container opening (=pulling) force is relatively low): a premature opening of container BEFORE bridle S-folds are released would produce an out of stage deployment, which thing is NOT nice in any case.
The rubber band (or also a thin elastic band, the ones used in offices/schools/wherever) must hold in position the bridle S-folds, that's it, no need to "stage" deployment. Check out that this rubber band holds bridle S-folds just lightly. A smart way to position such a rubber band is to place it "around" bridle itself (just pass PC and bridle inside rubber band), so once S-folds are released, the rubber band remains "around" bridle, which things produces two positive effects: 1) you don't loose the rubber band (=save money); 2) you don't leave any trace B|
Just my 0.02€
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

rubber bands on bridle S-folds MUST be WEAK

I use a Tailgate rubberband(regular just cutted in 2 peices),that seems to work fine(on my 2 pin rig).

A smart way to position such a rubber band is to place it "around" bridle itself (just pass PC and bridle inside rubber band), so once S-folds are released, the rubber band remains "around" bridle

that part i dont like[:/]I do set it on out side and in a way that i WILL lose it,why?
Becourse i dont want any thing to keep the bridel together,after it should be open..I belive it might could snap in the way you mention(not much force i know,but litel is more than enough when things goes wrong).

two positive effects: 1) you don't loose the rubber band (=save money); 2) you don't leave any trace

he he i like the saving a rubberband idea;)(mac you rember that discus..he he you WON)

BUT,you WILL leave trace EACH time you make a SL jump.. why?
1. hopefuly you use breakcord,which breaks at some point(leaving 1 or 2 peices on the ground,regarding which way you do it..)
2.You most times lose your Tailgate band..

The worst trace you could leave(in my oppinion) will be condoms elecktrical tape,or other ways to SL AT THE EXITPOINT.That way you TELL the people that has legal acsess to the exit point,that someone were there whith out premission.
NOT saying that breakcord and rubberbands not will get attention,but its in a different way...

698,could you send me a pic of how you have made your rope bridel.Im interested in the attachment point in both ends..Think its an great idea:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

> that part I don't like. I do set it on out side and in a way that I WILL lose it, why?
Probably I didn't explain myself well, or, rather, it is difficult to explain in words such a simple thing. In either way you get your rubber band to hold S-folds, both in the "to-lose-it" case or in the "not-to-loose-it" case, you have the same number of S-folds within the rubber band and the same force holding S-folds. Apart form the fact that I use myself (to hold S-folds) a very thing yellow elastic band (but this is due to my "special bridle" that, been made out of 5.5mm rope, is very thick).

> could you send me a pic of how you have made your rope bridel. Im interested in the attachment point in both ends..
Probably you mean how the two loops are sewn? The two loops in my special bridle have got the same type of seam/stitching as per climbing ropes that need to have a loop sewn. I will try to make a close up photo of (sewings of) loops in my special bridle.

P.S.: Without taking any offence to Dropzone and to its webmaster and to all the people posting/reading it, I don't see why we are discussing these things here on Dropzone-BASE zone instead of discussing it in the BASE Board..... :o
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com