Nightingale

Which Container??

I'd go with the one that -

1) has a delivery time that I'm okay with.

2) I think looks good

3) has a price I can afford

4) rigger's in my area are familiar with

and 5) is built by a company that knows how to take care of their customers.

My choice was the Infinity. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the harness/container systems on the market though. If the harness is sized to fit your body and the container is sized to fit your canopies, you're going to be happy with whichever container you choose.

i'm looking at a 2nd container for myself, and all i can say (i haven't tried all of them) is that i don't care for the mirage much. I like my dolphin more than a mirage. That's just me though...
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

You know, I have an opinion but I'm not going to share it.:P Asking questions like this is like asking Ford or Chevy? Everyone has an opinion. Many are based on individual and maybe limited experience (good OR bad) and your experience may vary. Many opinions are based on marketing and may not have basis on real or important differences. Many opinions are regional. Most DZ's have "popular" rigs that are more based on history, dealer relationships, DZO's preference etc. than real differences. Many people have particular and perhaps reasonable opinions against Racers (me too) or Reflexs (I jump one).

I've only bought two new, custom rigs in 23 years of jumping. One in 1982 and one in 1997. Three other new rigs were bought off the shelf. I had a list of rigs that were acceptable then went "shopping" to see what I could find ready to ship. I've also bought 5 or 6 used rigs in that time.

I'm fairly satisfied with the function of most rigs. I've had issues with specific models or versions from most manufacturers. As a rigger I'm more concerned about the specific, individual rig/canopy combination and whether they match well. i.e. Is it a small cut rig in a particular size and a "large" individual canopy.

Small things can make a rig "good" or "bad" to the individual. Chest strap height, leg strap fit, container length versus torso length, flexibility of containers with particular canopies, pressure points from housings, etc, etc, etc.

None of this is much help. But you have to realize that even from riggers much of the response will be individual bias and may not be relevant.

As stated above Price Availablity Service may be more important.

When you do pick a rig it's probably more important to discuss that particular choice and canopy combination with a/your rigger and ask if they have any concerns.

And wait till you try to pick colors and options.B|
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

My [mostly uninformed] opinion:

Javelins have no real advantage over the others and have a horrible delivery time.

Mirages, well, I've just never cared for the way they look (most people seem to love them) and I find them seriously overpriced.

Wings are nice looking and inexpensive. Lots of my friends have them and love them. That was previously my first choice.

Vectors are the only container I found that have actual, meaningful differences that set them apart from everything else. I personally find them pretty ugly, but after 6 months of playing with the coloring programs I was able to design a few I'd be proud to wear. Most I see around the DZ are quite ugly, but with the right color combinations they can look as good as anything else. But the reason I chose it was simply the fact that I'm positive that Bill Booth has looked at every detail of the rig and made sure that it is the best, safest rig out there. Many people will say it has the best riser protection, best bridle protection, and best pin protection out there. And then there's the skyhook.

So in my opinion, they're all about the same except for the Vector. Mine should be arriving in early March. Can't wait!

Dave

If I was buying one today, I'd be buying a Wings.
And it pretty much fits into the Bytch's reccomendations.

Didn't you recommend to someone else in another thread to buy a mirage?
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

I completely concur, I love my Odessey, the way it fits and looks. The delivery time was HORRID!!! and now with the price increase it's pricy.
If I had to go with a new container right now, I'd definately look into an Infinity and actually I've done some research and reading on Areodynes new ICON. Intrigued about what I read and hear about it.

SMA#18

You need to add Infinity to the poll. Otherwise, it would have to be a vector, or mirage.

I'm VERY happy with my infinity. The mfg is right up the road from where I (normaly) jump, and they have been very good with any problems I've had with the rig. To me, that a HUGE bonus...not too mention the price and delivery time.
my pics & stuff!

I agree w/ councilman24. Plus, a few people @ my dz have an Javelin AND a Vector. If they're going to be under canopy for any extra time, they go w/ the Vector, say it's WAY more comfortable on their legs.

I jumped a Javelin as a student & my legs always felt like they were going numb. Now I have a Vector II & I LOVE going on cross country jumps, it's super comfortable.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Jan 7, 2004, 4:41 AM

Post #1 of 45 (593 views)
Copy Shortcut
Javelin Odissey - is it REALLY so COOL to WAIT 21 WEEKS!!! Quote | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I`m waiting my Javelin Odissey since August 20. Sometimes I`m thinking that Mirage G4 in 3-4 weeks could be much better!!

Koments????!!!!!

ChileRelleno
Veteran

Jan 7, 2004, 6:15 AM

Post #2 of 45 (562 views)
Copy Shortcut
Re: [potikum] Javelin Odissey - is it REALLY so COOL to WAIT 21 WEEKS!!! [In reply to] Quote | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call'em up, cancel your order, tell them why.... See what happens... Place your order with Mirage.

Chile Relleno,
A Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch.
A Republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!

Well... it wasn't really a reccomendation, more like a if your so miffed at your first choice, go with your second.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I jumped a Javelin as a student & my legs always felt like they were going numb.

That was most likely due to the poor fit of the student gear. The most single important factor in gear being comfortable is the fit.

All gear that is custom designed will fit very well and be comfortable.

Used gear is hit and miss. Some people will get lucky and get great fitting gear. Others will buy crappy fitting gear and blame the manufacturer.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

:P
yah, but leg straps are tightned to your thigh... I think those fit me pretty good. it was the lenght (which affects the arms more) of the lateral webbing that was mis-fitting.

I stick by Vector's comfort.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

What do you like the look of? Walk around at your dz and check out peoples rigs, see what you like, what you can picture yourself in (in your colours of course). Then, get a riggers opinion.

Personally I think my next rig will be a Voodoo. I really like my bf's Voodoo, ff safe and looks very nice.

I think Wings are some of the ugliest containers i've seen. I just don't like them. Many do, though.

jmo.
Angela.

What do you like the look of

Honestly, I think that isn't a very good way to choose a rig.

Choosing a rig on its merits is the way to go, IMHO.

I hear ya, Dave... but, the top names are all pretty safe I thought. I am not an expert, and not a rigger. I have my bf for that;) I suppose I am a bit vain when it comes to my container. I want something that serves it's purpose well AND looks good.

Angela.

Even though I no longer work at Sunrise Rigging as of 5pm yesterday afternoon, I would still choose a Wings. I jumped Wings before I started working there and I'll continue to jump Wings throughout my skydiving career. I stand behind that statement even more so since I worked there and understand more about how they're built. I'm not saying that all the other containers are not built as well because I'm sure they are.

Sunrise Rigging works very hard to keep it's delivery time in check and they will always support their product for as long as you own your container.

The design of the Wings container has always fit my body just right. Wings continues to be one of the most affordable containers on the market and provides superior quality for it's price.

Wings is still new to some riggers but it's split reserve free bag is made to be rigger friendly and I would prefer non other than a Wings reserve pilot chute on my back.

Honestly, I think that isn't a very good way to choose a rig.

If all else is equal, how the container looks is a perfectly valid thing to base your decision on.

I think that's what I was trying to say in my last reply. Somehow your answer is just much more to the point and understandable. Thanks, Lisa.

Angela.

If all else is equal,

Right, but when is it truely equal? For instance, what does your rigger know how to pack? That will make a difference in the quality/ease of the initial reserve packjobs. I'd say that a Skyhook would put a Vector well above other rigs for a kickass safety feature, but that's purely opinion at this point since its so new to the market.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."