MrHixxx

King Kahones

I saw video of a guy hand deploying an FX84 off of the bridge yesterday. It looked like the slider was down and the lines were looped in rubber bands to take up a little slack and he was holding it in his right hand propacked (without the accordion fold) and without a pilot chute. He jumped, kicked out of some line twists, then did a 360 swoop down river. Anyone know this fellow or have any more details on how he did it? It was pretty freakin wild...

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

I think that's what they call a TARD, or totally awesome rapid deployment(I think). I think if you search the base board on lowest possible base, you'll find a few words about it.

hixx, good luck at your TICC

Yeah, I've seen that video, if I remember correctly it was on the Lemmings Extreme video that was a compilation of a few years of Bridge Day.

Big balls, kick ass swoop, don't think I'll be doing that...ever.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It was because of the person you are talking about that it is no longer legal at Bridge Day to free-bag anything. That moron did a complete disservice to the regular jumpers. Yes, I said moron.

Chuck
PS: the word is spelled "cajones"

I remember back in the day when most of the gear jumped at the bridge was just skydiving gear (yeah, packed slider down...) and it was all good....
LOL...
ok, so now i have the image of that old guy jumping with a rig that had a spring loaded pilot chute.....B|:D:D
I think i have seen more stupid things done from the bridge (like the tandem...:S)

HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

That moron did a complete disservice to the regular jumpers. Yes, I said moron.

I think that's what they call a TARD

[couldn't resist] So...if he did this again, would it be called a RE-TARD? :S [/couldn't resist].

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Man I saw much more dangerous low pulling from the guys in BASE gear with the tape I watched. I am suprised that this even attracted attention with as high as he was under canopy. Granted, if he wouldn't have kicked out of the line twists he would have been tree food.
By free bagging, do you mean canopy in hand???

-Hixxx

P.S. I took poetic license in using the two Ks...
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

It was because of the person you are talking about that it is no longer legal at Bridge Day to free-bag anything. That moron did a complete disservice to the regular jumpers. Yes, I said moron.

Chuck
PS: the word is spelled "cajones"

What up Chuck??
Just wondering... Don't you have to be a "regular jumper" to speak for regular jumpers? I didn't know you BASE. How come we haven't been jumping together if you are into BASE?
While I would never do what *A**** did, and I think it was really dumb, I don't think he did a disservice to other jumpers. So many crazy things have been done from that bridge, it was just a matter of time before someone did it. I don't think that his jump was the whole reason for the "ban" at Bridge Day. You said that it was " not BASE gear" well at Bridge Day most of the gear is not BASE gear, it's modified skydiving gear, which is what *A**** had. Albeit very small gear!! I think the opening would have been fine had he not threw the "WAD", it spun as he released it. At least he had enough experience as a BASE jumper and skydiver to know the dangers he was getting into and what little time he had and he aimed for the water, which is more than I can say for a lot of "newbies" who jump modified skydiving gear. I can remember a guy who almost lost both his legs cause he jumped his Sabre, had line twists, did not see the urgency in getting out of them, then once out he set up over the RR tracks and proceeded to do a low toggle turn which plowed him straight into the tracks. [:/] I think people like this are doing the disservice to BASE jumpers, not *A****. People that don't realize the dangers involved, who blindly jump with little knowledge of what they are jumping and can barely control the canopy at the dropzone let alone at a BASE site, those are the people hurting BASE. People with little skill and even less brains.
Anyway, are you coming up my way for the boogie? If so bring your BASE gear and we'll make a jump. ;);)
Jason
PS - I just call them "nuts" :ph34r:

Base jumpers have this really nasty habit, skydivers, motocyclists, rock climbers bla bla bla...

They kill themselves -sometimes intentionally- doing what they love to do. And that's OK with me. I choose not to base jump (so far) because I believe it to be relatively less safe and therefore relatively less of a good idea than skydiving.

I am awe-struck by good base footage, I've never seen this footage but hey-

If one guy, or two, want to ruin legal base jumping for the rest of the crazy lot: It is OK with hard core base jumpers, they like the fact that it's illegal anyway, just like other "stuff". That seems to be my understanding.

Hey Chuck,

That guy is a friend of mine and he is no moron. Just because you can't conceive of the sack it takes to do a certain jump, don't go bad mouting it. Nothing is "illegal at bridge day" if you know and are known. I didn't know that you even based, and if not, why put someone down over somethig you know nothing about, and don't even get involved in.

Wuffo- what for they skydivin
Swoop wuffo- What for them guys gotta do hooks
base wuffo (skydiver)- what for them guys gotta base jump
Insanity wuffo - what for you gotta do a jump that is so far off the scale I can't even carry your rig?

By the way, the way things are going there will be swoop contest at the bridge in the next year or two. Maybe in ten more it will be a "tour stop". When that happens (I know, you just can't concieve of it, sorry) "That guy" will be called what he is, a pioneer.

See you on the bridge with my VX!

Tree B|

OK, you guys win. You're all fucking nuts!:P:P:ph34r: I can't really say anything smart in terms of BASE (though I have free access to a rig anytime I like). I can only address the nutiness of taking a crossbrace and using it as a BASE chute. Hell, people get chastised all the time by the BASE heirarchy for just using old Ravens and such. "That's no safe. Use real BASE gear." That being said, wadding up an FX, or d-bagging it, or anything else from 800 feet is not something that I can believe anyone in that discipline would condone. But, hey, it's a free world I guess. Knock yourself out, just don't say shit to the next poor fuck you see out on the tower who is jumping a Unit IV with duct tape all over it; he is setting a new trend and you must respect that. ;). As to the "insanity whuffo" line:

Yes, we are all nuts, present company included. There is however a big difference between a new base jumper trying to use a wonderhog and a Unit, and a very experienced base jumper doing something off the crazy scale. (fx at BD, 170' freefall over dirt, McConkey from buildings) One knows exactly what he is getting involved in and accepts the risks while the other jumps in ingnorance without the benefit of the historical perspective of base gear advancements. And what the fuck is hooty hoo? Woodsey the Owl? :P

Relax,

Tree

Anyone know this fellow or have any more details on how he did it?

Actually, the system he came up with (and used) last Bridge Day was far superior, in my opinion.
Rather than WAD packing, he packed the swoop canopy into a regular skydiving rig, but used a reserve freebag and 42" PC to deploy it. It seemed to deploy far smoother.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

...TARD, or totally awesome rapid deployment...

I believe he used a WAD (Wild Ass Deployment) for that jump, not a TARD (Totally Aweome Rapid Deployment).
For a WAD, you pack the canopy down into a hand-holdable bundle. For a TARD, you have the canopy flaked out almost like a pro-pack.
The WAD was first used at Bridge Day sometime in the Dark Ages (I think it might have even been the 80's). The TARD is relatively new on the scene.
Before attempting either of these things, find someone who knows how to do them. I've seen some pretty scary footage of people trying to work them out on their own. If you don't have to be a test jumper, please don't.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

[couldn't resist] So...if he did this again, would it be called a RE-TARD? :S [/couldn't resist].

[couldn't resist either]Actually, a RETARD is a Reverse Ejection Totally Awesome Rapid Deployment. It basically involves cutting away a TARDed canopy.[/couldn't resist either]
...must work harder to resist...must resist...
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

By free bagging, do you mean canopy in hand???

I think that SkymonkeyONE was referring to the current BD prohibition on unpacked canopy jumps (so, no TARDs, WADs, McConkey's etc).
Just for clarification, free packing is the standard BASE packing style (also used for some kinds of skydiving), where a canopy is packed without a deployment bag.
This particular decision of the Bridge Day organizers (no unpacked canopies) was, in my opinion, non-sensical, and resulted in some very dangerous jumps being made.
By not allowing people to WAD pack, and control the altitude at which they initiated deployment, the organizers ended up with a few very dangerous stunts, like the VX PCAed into a 20 mph headwind, with fifty feet of steel underneath the exit.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I thought the "official" position on unpacked canopy jumps was not in the interest of safety, but rather a time issue.

It was my understanding the extra time it takes to set up unpacked canopy jumps would take away opportunities for more people to jump.

My reply was with multiple exit points, why not have jumpers exiting from one, while these more advanced jumps were preparing on the other...

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

I thought the "official" position on unpacked canopy jumps was not in the interest of safety, but rather a time issue.

It was my understanding the extra time it takes to set up unpacked canopy jumps would take away opportunities for more people to jump.

My reply was with multiple exit points, why not have jumpers exiting from one, while these more advanced jumps were preparing on the other...

That is the "official" position, but, of course, that doesn't always coincide with reality.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

If one guy, or two, want to ruin legal base jumping for the rest of the crazy lot: It is OK with hard core base jumpers, they like the fact that it's illegal anyway, just like other "stuff". That seems to be my understanding.

I disagree. I think that the sneaking around and illegality of it is only fun some of the time. When it comes to honing skills or just getting a of jumps in, the illegal aspect of it can be stressful or distracting.

Click

I agree 100%

They all know the risks when they sign up for star fleet.

hmmm
u say that the tandem was stupid
what about the BOXMAN
i saw that movie and i ask: what a hell he do??
he jump in a box?
that was stupid

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

I agree 100%

They all know the risks when they sign up for star fleet.

BUT DO THEY UNDERSTAND THE CHOCOLATE?!?!

Of course they know the risks. That doesn't necessarily mean that it makes it better. Like you know how it's fun to sleep with girls that you know have AIDS, and then other times, you really just want to focus and not think about the AIDS? You do?! You're a sick bastard! What's WRONG with you?!?!

Click

...he jump in a box?

I think that was the our moderator who did it.B|