shibu

Pilot Chute Entangled with Bridle

Sometimes it just happens. I have personally seen in the last 4 months the bridle in a perfect halfhitch around the PC. Sometimes when you throw the PC and bridle out into 120 MPH airstream crazy things happen.
The result was a cutaway and reserve deployment from a PC in tow..

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Sometimes it just happens. I have personally seen in the last 4 months the bridle in a perfect halfhitch around the PC. Sometimes when you throw the PC and bridle out into 120 MPH airstream crazy things happen.
The result was a cutaway and reserve deployment from a PC in tow..

I wonder if this sometimes happens as the PC is withdrawn from the BOC.

Could it be a packing error, not just a "shit happens"?

Sometimes it just happens. I have personally seen in the last 4 months the bridle in a perfect halfhitch around the PC. Sometimes when you throw the PC and bridle out into 120 MPH airstream crazy things happen...

I wonder if this sometimes happens as the PC is withdrawn from the BOC.
Could it be a packing error, not just a "shit happens"?

Yes, it could be done in packing.

It could also happen from a pilot chute hesitation, where the pilot chute falls into the burble over your back, while the bridle is floating around loose, and then when the pilot chute catches air again and takes off, it tangles with the bridle.

And sometimes even when everything is done right, shit happens anyway.

As stated, bouncing in the burble as well as a jumper holding onto the hacky/PC while at full arm extension thus allowing the bridle to flap around in the air flow and knot on its self. There used to be a good video of this happening on skydivingmovies.com when it was around. Also, sometime it just happens every once in awhile. Bridles longer than 9' from pin to PC also tend to be prone to this.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

During my AFF program i was taught to always re-pack the PC as part of the gear check. Problem is, i was shown about 3 different ways. It would be nice to see a step-by-step guide on the best way to pack it. From what i recall the most important things to remember is that the excess bridle is tucked in, and that its not wrapped around the handle! it would be nice to know of the perfect packing technique though, if there is one.

Brian Germain has an instructional video on his preferred method, I am sure someone here can post a link as I dont have it.
Honestly though, if you ask 10 skydivers the best way to stow the PC you will probably get 30 different methods...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

this is why i was always so nervous about doing this, because at my level i would have RATHER trusted the packer's job than my own.. I tried to skip this during my gear check but got in shit for it..

So then I would always run into manifest on a 20 minute call and spend most of that time trying to get the PC perfect. :S

I think, most important is to extract and throw PC far away from your body in single motion, this prevents it from going up into its own bridle.:P
Also NEVER hold PC in your hand after it is out of the pouch - bridle sometimes can open container and when you let go PC it can go trough the lines and under the bag and cause a bag-lock.[:/]

...So then I would always run into manifest on a 20 minute call and spend most of that time trying to get the PC perfect. :S

It's really a pretty simple sequence of steps, and all the variants are basically minor variations of each step:
1. flop PC upside down.
2. fold in half (to make 1/2 moon)
At this point, different techniques do things a bit differently, but the end result is that you end up shortening the width by another half (the simpliest variant is to just fold in half again by folding the curved side over to meet the hackey).
3. fan fold excess bridle on top of PC material.
4. roll up into a stick.
5. stuff into pocket

But always preceed any technique with a check that the PC is cocked. A perfectly folded uncocked PC is not worth much.

One other benefit of using Brian Germain's method of folding the pilot chute is that if the pilot chute is not cocked, you won't be able to make the first fold. I once got sidetracked during packing and when I came back to finish, forgot to cock the PC. It wasn't until I was folding the PC that I realized my mistake.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

One other benefit of using Brian Germain's method of folding the pilot chute is that if the pilot chute is not cocked, you won't be able to make the first fold. ...

Wow, I didn't realized that until you said it. That is a most excellent point (and IIRC, he doesn't mention this in his video).

That probably makes it the strongest rationale for using his method. Thanks for pointing this out.

I once got sidetracked during packing and when I came back to finish, forgot to cock the PC. It wasn't until I was folding the PC that I realized my mistake.

It's important to have some "double checks" built into your packing routine. Although I don't use the BG method yet, I do have a PC double check before folding. :)

I tried to skip this during my gear check but got in shit for it..

So then I would always run into manifest on a 20 minute call and spend most of that time trying to get the PC perfect. :S

Well, at least they don't make you open the container and check that the brakes are set and the slider is up. :P:D

Really, I think the person making your gear check rules has some trust issues. :)
With practice, repacking a pilot chute should take less than a minute. Good luck. :)

It's important to have some "double checks" built into your packing routine. Although I don't use the BG method yet, I do have a PC double check before folding. :)

Yeah, a careful routine with built in double checks is very important. Nonetheless, sometimes your routine gets interrupted and/or rushed, or you are distracted while packing. If it's just a mental step, it is still possible to forget.

Thus, it's nice to have a step where an error physically prevents you from doing what you want to do. It's not physically possible to fold the PC using the Germain method if you didn't cock the PC, so if you didn't, you can't fail to notice that you didn't. (Plus, there is the "peace of mind" aspect: you won't later worry that you might have failed to cock it because you can't remember whether or not you double checked it.)

While we're talking about double checks, how many people double check their brakes after they set them? I always give a good tug upward on the steering line after setting my brakes. That lets me check for any rigging mistakes.

I hear so many people talking about "toggle fires" yet I've never had one. Could it possibly be bad packing?

this is why i was always so nervous about doing this, because at my level i would have RATHER trusted the packer's job than my own.. I tried to skip this during my gear check but got in shit for it..

And that's what makes this sound like a bad idea to me. When you're down to a 20-minute call, you've got more important things to worry about than re-packing a pilot chute that a trusted packer has already packed. By wasting time re-doing that, you're denying yourself valuable time that you need to devote to other things, like reviewing your exit and your dive flow, and emergency procedures. And besides, if the packer can't be trusted to do the pilot chute correctly, then you should remove the entire main canopy and repack that also.

At your level, you should have taken a full packing couse ( and water training ) by now. Even if you are still renting gear.

Life is short ... jump often.

Well, at least they don't make you open the container and check that the brakes are set and the slider is up. :P:D

Really, I think the person making your gear check rules has some trust issues. :)

We teach students to repack the PC when doing gear checks. The same gear is used for IAD, and there is a second PC pouch on the left side of the container (it makes extracting the PC a lot easier). The gear usually gets packed with the PC in the side pouch. We teach students to check where it is as part of their gear check, and how to repack it.

I don't know if this is CloudyHead's situation, but it is possible there is a reason he was taught that.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg