TomAiello

How Does This Forum Effect You?

I've been having a few discussions with some friends, and I was wondering:

How does this forum impact you?

I am particularly interested in the effects it is having/will have on regular DZ.commers who either don't BASE jump or have little BASE experience.

Specifically, will it make you more likely to try BASE (or less likely)?

Also, will it impact your choice of gear, mentor, or objects?

Any thoughts?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Its another source of information, same as Blinc or dozens of base jumpers. I'm not any more or less likely personally to do a fixed object jump now as I was the day before the fourm opened. (I've talked it over many times at a DZ and still have yet to take a serious look at jumping objects)

Anyone thet believes 100% of the info they read on the internet with out taking the time to confirm it in real life with people that actually deal with anything on a daily basis is asking for problems anywatys.

Knowing more things to question your mentors with and see what their experiences are is probally the best thing I can see coming from here. Like boots.. I would have never thought to ask about boots..
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I think the forum has given me some insite and objectivity into a sport that is more different than I had realized. I really had the idea that if I could fly a canopy well skydiving, BASE jumping would be a piece of cake. Boy, was I wrong. Your forum has sobered me up regarding BASE, and put me on a good track for training and equipment. Thanks.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

This forum offers me a non-intimidating place to learn about BASE. I've peeked at blinc a few times, but it's confusing and technical and kind of unfriendly.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable gathering rudimentary information in a safe space like dz.com.

And I don't the presence of this forum will make me any more or less likely to try BASE.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I think its a great idea.
I hope this will help pepole to not juged it so hard,and at the same time find out some qustions,that migth save lifes..

Keep up the good work Tom!!!

Be Safe!!!

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

This forum was a great idea, I have learned so many things about BASE jump and got more aware of the safety issues that I didnt know before (i.e. Boots and body armor) and its the only place where am sure that if I ask about BASE I will get a BASE related answer by BASE whuffos and/or BASE jumpers (yeah I take all the things I read with a grain of salt).

About if it will make me more likely or less likely to try BASE well I dunno how to answer that, one of the things I would like to do is BASE and from reading the stuff you people post (i.e. the thread about the sorcerer where one post said that the main is packed so carefully that its better than a reserve) makes me realize how safe the sport can be if treated in a respectful way, so I think my answer will be yes it will make me more likely to try BASE.

Choice of gear mmm... yeah no sorcerer for me, am going for a regular one canopy BASE gear (I will not be jumping high altitude objects). Mentors, some of you will end up been my mentor they dunno that they are going to be my mentor ;). Objects, well there hasn't been much discussion about objects but from what I read bridge is kinda the safest of all objects.

Thoughts: if somebody posts a BASE experience and somebody knows or thinks that the way he/she did it wasn't the best of all, its not an oportunity to enter the highway to flame palace, buts an oportunity to teach him/her and us why you think or know that what he/she did was dangerous and that way promote the safe practice of BASE (its a general comment, if the reader feels offended must be for a reason).

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I'm definately pumped up enough to go watch Bridge Day, but not participate in it next year. I will have the # of skydives needed to pick up base next year and I do a lot of low pulls, but I still don't think I can do it yet.

As a relative newbie to both sports, i have found DZ.com a goldmine of useful and up-to date information.
Having a forum for BASE has answered many questions that i (and i suppose many others) have.
Information on here is in a format which we are all familiar with, and as both sports are so closely linked, the people who are most likely to need it are just "next door".

I myself consider BASE a "must do", (if only once in my life)
and knowing that there are people who can answer your questions, no matter how petty, is very re-assuring.
Like most naive people i thought BASE involved a skydiving rig with a few modifications, which to a degree was how the sport developed,
point being i now know there are specific gear manufacturers dedicated to BASE equipment, and training.
It will be a few years before i will be attempting a jump, but i know what path i will be taking now.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

"I do a lot of low pulls"

WTF? I hope you don't think BASE jumping is the same as doing "low pulls" nor that doing "low pulls" somehow prepares you for BASE jumping...

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

*sigh* One word, cajones:

TROLL.

And you took the bait.

:D

It's been a good source of info. I know your article has made me think more about it with regards to gear etc. The more souces of info you have, the better.
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

Yes, I took the bait. I made the mistake of believing that this was a serious forum for intelligent people. You know assumptions do...

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

You are so sexy when you are pontificating, do you know that? ;)

I'm really glad that you have this forum Tom.

I lurk Blinc a lot, and it has been a gold mine of information, but I'm still a little leery of posting over there because the hostility factor is a little high. I'm going to wait until I actually get to know some of those folks before I actually post there.

The thing that's nice about this forum is that I can freefly ask "newbie"-ish questions without fear of being ridiculed (too much). And there are enough experienced BASE jumpers here that I feel like I get good response to any question.

Of course, I still ask my mentor as many questions as I can. But he has always said not to take what he says as Gospel, and to ask other people on the internet as well. He's very big on gathering as much information as one can and making one's own decisions. It's very much a "think for yourself" approach that I wholeheartedly agree with. It encourages one to seek out the way things are done and look for ways of improving things, this is how we grow as people and how the sport grows as well.

Anyway, thanks Tom! B|

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

It doesn't make me more or less likely to do a BASE jump, it just gives me more data to make smart decisions with once I get to the point of deciding BASE is something I want to get into. The more info & (qualified) points of view, the better and safer for everyone.

The decision to get into this stuff is a pretty hefty one and I'm probably going to base it (no pun intended) on a lot of factors that have nothing to do with what I read on the Web. Such as: my own skills, my temperament, my family/relationship situation, my feelings watching other people do it, ground crewing, etc. That's my $0.02.

Joe

I was toying with the notion of picking up base before this forum, and I'm still toying with the notion of picking up base after reading the forum.

You might take that to mean that it's had no effect on me. :o

However, I am now much more knowledgable about what I'm toying with doing, which is a good thing.

_Am

__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Tom,
this forum is a good thing. It gives a person an alternative to BASE board. not saying BASE board is not good, I'm just saying it's always nice to have a second option. That's why I liked my sorcerer. It was nice to have that second option, just in case.
Thanks for creating this, and moderating it.
Peace,
Thomas

*sigh* One word, cajones:
TROLL.
And you took the bait.

:D

Don't troll in these specified forums. Actually, don't troll AT ALL.

Chuck

Thanks for creating this, and moderating it.

Hey, I didn't create it. Thank Sangiro for that. I'm just trying to lend him a hand.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I do enjoy poking my head in and taking a look around. It's nice to gather hear say from others on their experience. I don't stay on BLiNC for too long because my eyes grow a little tired on the dark purple black color scheme of the board. Nor am I registerd there.

People who are well versed do have some impact on my decisions about gear with which i am not familiar. The scales must be weighed measured and duly noted before i make any final decisions on anything.
to base or not to base that is the question.
someday, when the winds are just right and my mind is clearly focused and at ease....

along with some proper training from the been there done that crowd of pro's whose knowledge is grounded in some experience that keeps them coming back in one piece and with a smile,

i think victory beer is important to, and if they drink a different beer or smoke a different smoke, then they're not as much a man as me.......

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

Definately a good thing Tom. Since that 1st BASE jump, I've been so thirsty for more and more knowledge. This is a good place to scout out some good advice and experience. :)

Specifically, will it make you more likely to try BASE (or less likely)?

One of these days, Tom, I'll get up the courage to do some BASE jumpin' ;)

Seriously, seems a good resource for folks to get a toe in the water, knowledge-wise. Your efforts to share your knowledge are appreciated by folks around the world. . . even if your idea of the "obvious exit point" is a bit, um, creative!

Peace,

D-d0g

+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

B| I am a skydiver with over 1,000 jumps logged- have not been interested in BASE jumping until recently.

No way this forum would make me more likely or less likely to try BASE.
My choice of gear and objects would be well researched everywhere, especially with those BASE jumpers I personally know.
Mentors are my choice- skydive with/ have watched grow/and learned to respect many BASE jumpers.

My decision to try BASE is my own. I am fortunate to have BASE mentors I have for years been lurking & learning & listening & watching footage of personal experiences....

This forum offers incredibly opportunity to ask more questions and educate...

Thanx-

Smiles;)

I think this forum has influenced my intentions to BASE jump in two different directions. I am now more sure that I would like to BASE jump some day. On the other hand, I am now sure that any attempt at BASE will be much further in the future than I ever would have guessed and will happen after much research, training, and practice.

I am very impressed with your response; this attitude will go a long way toward keeping you alive/injury free. It would be nice to see more beginners in BASE with this attitude. Remember, the objects aren't going anywhere.

Gardner