ifics

Gunner helmet warning...

Not a huge deal but mine flew off at 4,000ft :S I noticed that the strap would continue to loosen after each time I jumped. I would have to re-fit it on the ground for the next jump. I had planned on stapling it down but I thought that one jump to late. If you have one be sure to lock it down some how. I was in a sit for most of my dive and I guess it started to loosen a bit. When I went to my belly to pull it flew right off.... I tried to see where it went but I wanted to make sure my canopy was ok, once I was assured my canopy was fine I looked down but it was to late, long gone................[:/] Just a little warning to make sure to keep yours tight! Good thing I didn't have a freggin protrak in it!!!!!!:|

This just in. Man dies when helmet falls from sky and hits him on the head.

lol, funny thing is I know it fell off about the tree line next to the golf course. I was actually waiting around to make sure an ambulance didn't show up, that would of sucked allot. :|

I assume you're talking about the adjustment strap...When you can afford a new helmet [:/], buy a roll of gaffer's tape (or beg a couple inches off someone else's roll) and tape the loose end in place. Did that on my Aviator as a quick fix, finally had to replace it last week after SIX YEARS...
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

might be worth posting something in gear and rigging to let others know about this post in case it's more widespread among other Guner's (although given the fine workmanship Bonehead products seem to enjoy, that's probably unlikely. Speak to them, i'm sure they will be more than happy to sort it for you, they are a good bunch).

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I wear a few different helmets, and is it just me, or am I the only one who checks the tightness of his chin strap on every jump, just after I put it on....?

Seems to me that the chin-strap should be included on every jump-run gear check.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

My roommate lost his Gunner and a protrak at a boogie during a jump. . .then someone said put a stitch in the strap to hold it in place. . .

Just an FYI
FGF #6
Darcy

It's not uncommon for the chin strap to loosen up on any helmet, not just Gunners. I had it happen on Protecs.

Yep...had the same issue on my Evo, but the problem seems to be disappearing on its own (perhaps the strap has set into shape around the buckle). I still check it out of habit, though... (too loose/tight helmet straps are a kind of a pet peeve of mine:P)

There's a little peice of equipment out there that combats this problem (which exists on a great number of helmets).

Its called an elastic band ;)

Your chest strap and leg straps have keepers on them to stop them loosening... why not put one on your helmet strap?? Does the job perfectly and it still allows you to alter the lenght if you need to with no unwanted slippage.

Your chest strap and leg straps have keepers on them to stop them loosening...

Who told you that?

The elastic keepers are there to keep your straps from beating the shit out of you in freefall. They do not have enough force to keep any strap in place. The straps on your rig take forces much MUCH higher then those little elastic bands could ever dream of holding.

Try something, don't use them on a jump, go jump, I promise you that the friction adapters do what they're supposed to do and keep the straps from loosening.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

you're right, they dont themsleves stop the strap from sliding... but the strap is much easier to slide through the hardware when the excess is pulled away from the rest of the webbing.

The keeper doesnt itself prevent the strap slipping, but it does keep the strap in the proper orientation, which is (partly) what keeps the strap from slipping.

once you get the strap set in the position you want it to be take a little thread and needle and tack it down. Works a lot better than a rubberband.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

This issue should be a no brainer, IMHO
If something is loose or comes loose, tighten it and put something on it so it won't loosen. I hear it all the time, about all styles of helmets, "It's been loosening on every jump, but I didn't know it would come off". At 120+ MPH. of coarse it will come off. Tighten it and tack it down...

my 2 cents worth.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

Sorry to disagree but the bands do a lot more than just hold the excess from flapping into you like mad during the ff part of any jump. The bands position the excess in a way that makes the friction adapters work in a way they were meant to. I am sure you would have a lot more tension troubles with a helmet that had the excess going off even at a slight angle than one that had the excess sitting flat against the "tight" original part against your neck. Same with most of the adjustments on a Tandem harness. That is , if you keep the excess flat against the other part of the (tight) webbing rather than granny knotting it or putting it at some other angle it will have far less likelihood of loosening off under load or at other times. -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"