mixedup

how far could one fly from 14'000 foot?

How far could an average wingsuit flyer travel if they drop from 14000 foot? Assuming they want to be safe and not pull too late etc. Also just in a standard wingsuit that a club might have. (just interested to get an idea)
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

anything between 0 and 22000 feet approximately (counting a 0 to 2 glide ratio which could be obtainable with a "decent wingsuiter")

now I will let you do the translation of feet to yards, miles or furlongs..

Metric is the way baby
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I'd say perhaps not flocking or anything with an "average" suit and your definition of an "average" flyer would be around a 2:1 glide ratio (ish) meaning for every foot you drop you go forward 2

Depending on your pull altitude....you said not too low so that being said perhaps 3k? 11k of feet dropped being 22k ft forward or roughly 4.2miles or 6.76km

That being said there are some very talented flyers with lengthy bodies and don't weigh too much with banging suits that have had around 3.5:1 glide ratio maxed out, if a person could sustain that glide from 14k to 3k he/she would be able to cover a distance of roughly 7.29miles or 11.73km
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

wow - actually I did hear someone on one of the youtube videos talking about getting a 3:1 ratio (might have be a Jeb Corliss interview) - is this sort of ratio only for the very experienced perhaps then?
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

Around 2 to 2.5 seems to be the overal avg. in performance, even for the best flyers. Currently a lot of people quote peak vallues of their best jump, with a lot of wind in the back, and come up with 3.5 glide ratios etc for marketing reasons. But looking at sustained glide, I think 2.5 seems to be roughly what most people get. With some people pushing it to 3.0. But if thats skill, suit performance or just wind....its always hard to tell.

When people feel the need to quote amazing data, mention 'no wind' but not present the actual data...usually you know its BS:P

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Apache X numbers from first jump after getting it fitted properly - Alti track = 35mph average fall rate, low speed 20mph, high speed 42mph, 3 minutes and 15 seconds FF time jumping from 12,000ft pulling at 2,000ft Flysight numbers = 2.5 to 1 average glide over whole jump. Made the flysight go silent for 10 seconds with a 3.25 to 1 glide without building speed in a dive...

This was done in Perris CA and we fly a U shaped pattern. There were no upper winds to speak of and because of the U shaped pattern if we had wind we would have had it to the tail for a portion and then a head wind for a portion or it would have just been a cross wind for most of the flight. On the fly sight the glide stayed pretty much consistent from exit to pull time.

I just jumped out and was going for max glide. The interesting thing was my arms didn't get tired. On my X Wing my arms would always get very tired when maxing out the suit for more then 2 minutes. Odd how little pressure there is on the arms when flying the apache...

Jeb

Apache X numbers from first jump after getting it fitted properly - Alti track = 35mph average fall rate, low speed 20mph, high speed 42mph, 3 minutes and 15 seconds FF time jumping from 12,000ft pulling at 2,000ft Flysight numbers = 2.5 to 1 average glide over whole jump. Made the flysight go silent for 10 seconds with a 3.25 to 1 glide without building speed in a dive...

This was done in Perris CA and we fly a U shaped pattern. There were no upper winds to speak of and because of the U shaped pattern if we had wind we would have had it to the tail for a portion and then a head wind for a portion or it would have just been a cross wind for most of the flight. On the fly sight the glide stayed pretty much consistent from exit to pull time.

Seeing as you have the data in paralog. Press 'submit' so its uploaded to the paralog website at www.paralog.net/ppc/

Its always long stories with most claims, but never any actual data. Dont be another show-off with empty claims. Upload some actual data...B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I went to the web sight and couldn't figure out how to upload the data from my fly sight, so I just did a screen grab and attached it here.

I don't know how to put the information from my alti track on my computer. I can only read it on the device. Sorry I have a mac and a lot of these programs seem to be made for a PC.

But you are welcome to believe what ever you like :)
Jeb

Sorry as I looked at the information closer the fly sight actually only went silent for 6.7 seconds and the peek of the glide was 3.28 to 1 :)
Jeb

P.S. Remember this was my first jump on the suit once it fit me. I have a feeling the flights are going to get much better...

anything between 0 and 22000 feet approximately (counting a 0 to 2 glide ratio which could be obtainable with a "decent wingsuiter")

now I will let you do the translation of feet to yards, miles or furlongs..

Metric is the way baby

the OP is from Australia, which saw the light and went metric decades ago
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

Seeing as you have the data in paralog. Press 'submit' so its uploaded to the paralog website at www.paralog.net/ppc/

jeb - could you please post yours GPS-data at Paralog-database or post here your GPS-file in GPX-format?
No facts - no trust!
35mph (56 km/h) is nowadays standard average fallrate for "mattress" class wingsuits like X-Bird/Venom/Manta etc.

P.S. I was landing my wingsuit yesterday afternoon, but without any witness persons... What a bummer! :ph34r:

I went to the web sight and couldn't figure out how to upload the data from my fly sight, so I just did a screen grab and attached it here.

I don't know how to put the information from my alti track on my computer. I can only read it on the device. Sorry I have a mac and a lot of these programs seem to be made for a PC.

Do you have a copy of Paralog? If not you should look into getting one, it comes in versions for OSX as well as Windows and Linux. It has a built in facility to upload the data to the PPC website. Otherwise if you attach the log file from Flysight I'm sure someone will upload it for you. It can also take your alti-track data, but that's just fall rate so not as interesting.

Spikes don't mean anything, it's spike for a reason and there is a big dip before it. We've seen spikes of 7:1 on Ludo's videos, didn't mean anything there either. From the graph the average glide looks like 2.2 to 2.3 to me, but hard to tell.

2.5:1 - 3.0:1 without significant thermals and\or tail wind seems to be where the best flyers are at with last years suits. I'd even be skeptical about how long the upper range of that can be maintained.

which is why he states altitudes in ft :S

Yea...as most countries do that adhere to international aviation standards...ignoring Swiss/Germans/Frenchies etc of course:P
most of us go metric all the way... :P but some still prefer to count with their feet :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Jump uploaded here.
The summary may not be a fair representation if you weren't flying for competition rules, but the overall jump stats are below.

Lookign at the data in Paralog I'm getting slightly different figures to those from your Altitrack. I suspect the Altitrack is struggling to correctly detect the exit and canopy opening.

The numbers from the Flysight log in Paralog:
(LZ 1,358ft above MSL)
Exit Alt: 12,174ft
Opening Alt: 2,462ft

Distance fallen: 9,712ft
H Distance covered: 4.364miles (23,042ft)
Freefall time 179 seconds (exactly where the opening is is arguable, could be up to 181 seconds but noticable change in flight mode at 179 seconds)

Average fall rate: 37mph (60KPH)
Average forward speed: 87mph (140KPH)
Average GR: 2.37:1

BTW you can edit the GR range in the Flysight config to go above 3:1 so it doesn't go silent.

I know the paralog competition site distinguishes suit type, but wouldn't it be informational to have pilots height and weight in their info? This would be educational on body type to suit specific performance and allow a better comparison of overall performance b/t pilots of similar anatomy. Applying this to a competition would bring out the real performance. Just like weight classes in wrestling.
Base# 1638