skydivingchad

Racer containers

I just bought my first rig this summer (used of course). It has a racer elite container that only had about 20 jumps on it. I like it, it fits me well and is comfortable to wear. I jump at 2 DZ's and have only seen one other person with a racer. I just wanted to know what everybodies opinion of them is?

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Pelt Head #3

I've got a 1997 Racer Elite. It had about 100 jumps on it when I got it, and I've put on another 80.

I can't complain too much about it. You just have to watch the velcro on it. The velcro on my riser trough covers (the side of the the reserve tray) is nearly due for replacement.

You have to be careful if you want to freefly. I don't, so I don't really have to worry, but if you do, then find a rigger or someone to ask about maintaining your gear properly.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

I've jumped a racer on borrowed gear - fit great, and had no problems with it other than the pop-top reserve. Not great for CReW... For a while they were the container to have, now they are considered older technology, but there is nothing wrong with them... Just watch the pop-top.
Congrats on your gear :) BEER!!

my personal opinion is that you must have a rigger that is familiar with Racer system. There is someone on my DZ who had a double total and cypress fire because a problem with the reserve pack procedure. She will personally never jump a Racer again, and I can't say I blame her ( what with the near death experience and all). I don't necessarily blame the container, but it does have to be packed properly.

There were two kinks in the reserve cable, and video clearly shows her pulling with both hands.---------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I don't have a racer, I think they look ugly (some are actually very nice looking), but they're VERY popular where I jump. People that own them LOVE them. They go back to jumpshack for every rig. I don't see what makes it so great myself, but there's something.

Dave

>my personal opinion is that you must have a rigger that is familiar
>with Racer system.

Agreed. Racers are decent rigs but there are things that you can NOT do to them as a rigger and still have them work well. Make sure your rigger is familiar with the rig before they pack it (and that really goes for all rigs, not just the Racer.)

I have jumped a Racer for 7-Years now.

I personally have never had an issue with mine.

There is someone on my DZ who had a double total and cypress fire because a problem with the reserve pack procedure. She will personally never jump a Racer again

I know the person but very little about this incident. It is just a personal preference though. That incident was like winning the lottery. The questions might be plenty if there were kinks in the cable. Was it from a previous reserve ride with an RSL and the particular rigger did not suggest replacing the handle or what?

I don't necessarily blame the container, but it does have to be packed properly.

I am glad to see you made this statement. Just because a person has a riggers ticket does not mean that they know how to pack every container style. A Racer is more difficult and I have paid more to have it done.

Another thing to look at is currency. The particular rigger might not be current. I know a person who had thier Wings container packed by someone up North and the reserve is sitting so low in the pack tray that the main is difficult to fit. I have suggested that the reserve dhould be re-packed.

I do not want to sound like I am taking away from a rigger. I know that they work very hard to get that ticket and it is a thankless job. Most people do not treat their rigger very nicely from what I have seen.

In the 10+ Years I have been jumping I have only had 4 different riggers pack my reserve. I believe it is important to be on a personal level with your rigger. Just letting anyone pack your reserve is not wise in my opinion.

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!! B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

I just bought my first rig this summer (used of course). It has a racer elite container that only had about 20 jumps on it. I like it, it fits me well and is comfortable to wear. I jump at 2 DZ's and have only seen one other person with a racer. I just wanted to know what everybodies opinion of them is?

I have 9 of them, and think they're great for my purposes.

I have three Elites, all of which have reserves much larger than the mains and work just fine.

The various conventional Racers are set up with canopies ranging from 150 sq. ft. ellipticals to Raven IVs for accuracy/demo use.

If you have to wear a rig all day, you will be hard pressed to find one more comfortable than the Racer.

As far as the repack goes, it is no tougher than any other rig and easier than quite a few. It helps to know a few tricks (I don't even own bodkins, but use microline & hemostats), though even the standard procedures are pretty straightforward. If someone can't pack a Racer, I'm not sure I'd give them my business with something they think they can pack properly.

I have jumped rather a wide range of rigs, and have a great deal of faith in the quality and reliability of most any of the popular models. I have a great deal of respect for all of the gear manufacturers I know, and trust their competence, professionalism and integrity.

Though I have three Wonderhogs for ParaCommander and Bridge jumps, as well as a Mirage and a Corsair for reasons I can't recall, I stick with Racers as my personal choice. They have served me well.

Blue skies,

Winsor

they are ugly at least i think mine is, blue with pink piping. but i wasn't being picky with the color, the price was right and i needed a rig

Wait a minute - you're talking about two different things, it would seem.

If the rig is ugly because of the color pattern, that's not the rig's fault - that's just ugly colors.

Do you think Racer's are ugly, regardless of what color pattern it has?

Racers are decent rigs but there are things that you can NOT do to them as a rigger and still have them work well.

Aren't there things that you shouldn't do to other rigs also, and still have them work properly?

Why do you consider Racer's to be unique in this regard?

>Why do you consider Racer's to be unique in this regard?

On both Racers and Reflexes, a clueless rigger can easily bend the reserve pin(s) trying to "neaten it up" if he doesn't know what he's doing. On most other containers, over-torquing the closing loop may damage the rig, but it will not bend the pin since the pin is not in place while the closing loop is being adjusted.

I have been jumping a Racer Elite for close to 7 years(same one) and have no issues with it. I use it for Birdman flights, RW and yes, GASP, even Free flying. I have taken care of it and it has taken care of me. Bar non, it is the most comfortable rig out there IMO. I currently have a 2K3 container with the Firebolt for a main. If you have not seen the 2K3 and think Racers are "old technology" then I suggest you look at a 2K3 before you let those words fall from your lips again.;) Besides, the whole container is old technology holds no water, just ask Da'Vinci about it:D It's ALL old technology when you boil it down to the basic principles
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Two of my riggers say they strongly dislike doing reserve repacks on Racers. They don't say they can't do them, just that they don't like doing them.

At the same time, one of those riggers said Racers are really comfortable.

Personally (38 jumps, all on Infinity), I like the position of the reserve PIN because it seems like it would be very well protected from dislodging (as it's in a cavity formed between the rig and your spine). The reserve ripcord, however, I'm not so sure about. The sole Racer rig I have looked at closely has a two-part housing with a connector sleeve and it showed a tendency to want to "open up" and allow the cable to contact the housing ends, decreasing the bend radius in a couple places which I would be afraid would increase pull force.

If newer / different Racers had a single length reserve ripcord conduit, I would stop worrying about that.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Racers suck

I guess that opinion is worth about as much as the supporting evidence and logic you provided to support it.

Additionally, opinions from people who are afraid to put their name or any other information in their personal profiles, also don't carry much weight.

Have a nice day.