bdrake529

Swooping Tandems

Whether it's officially "kosher" or not, I bet more than a few people here enjoy the past-time of doing a wingsuit flyby of a tandem canopy. Assuming this has been pre-arranged with the TI, I've always found both the TI and the student get a kick out of it, and it's not exactly pulling teeth for me either.

So I'm curious what kind of "best practices" are out there. Here's what I typically do and I offer this for critique since I'm always open to learn:

As previously stated, but important to emphasize, I always gain the approval of the TI prior to the jump. And, for safety's sake, I only attempt this on the last tandem out of the plane (or at least last out on a pass) so I don't have to worry about tandems exiting after me.

I wait in the plane until I can see the drogue and then I immediately exit and begin flying very steep, but not fully head down. I don't aim at the drogue, instead I aim for a spot slightly upwind and off-jump run of the tandem since my intent is to fly a cross jump run flyby (to avoid flying into other canopy traffic after the flyby). I control my rate of descent by exposing more or less of my arm wing, and I try to stay several thousand feet above the tandem. During this time, I'm also paying attention to already open canopies so that I can plan a flight path that will avoid any traffic.

When I'm in "position" (lat-long relative to the tandem), I wait there until I see the deployment which should be around 5k. I then set up a very steep approach, aiming in front of the tandem canopy. My flight path ends up more diagonal to the tandem's canopy path since I'm always adjusting to make sure I'm well in front of them. As I near their altitude, I hit my "max-lift" position hard to level out from the dive. This sometimes gives a momentary appearance of positive lift, relative to the tandem. If I time this right, this happens right before I'm in front of the tandem (or more diagonally cutting in front) so from their perspective I'm flying up for a short burst, flying level with them a bit longer, and then slowly descending. After passing them, I hold that max lift position while I modify my flight path to make sure I'm in open air (keeping an eye out also for the video guy's canopy) before deploying.

I think I've got the safety issues covered, but would appreciate any corrections if I'm wrong. I'm mainly interested in technique though, since these jumps end up less "wingsuit flights" and more "wingsuit dives with a short plane out at the end". Any tips?

Thanks,
Brian Drake

I usually always tell the tandem what side ill be flying by. I like to fly straigt at them so they can see me coming from a ways off. I tell them not to turn dramatically, and usually end with, if im not there by 4k, im not coming. Always be sure that if you do buzz one low, you make sure to see where the other tandems are. Another tandem instructor saw me opening between his tandem and the one i buzzed and fraeked out because he thought I just wasnt paying any attention to anyone.

I don't think swooping a canopy is at all complicated, just stay well outside of the turn radius of the canopy and you're not going to collide with them. Wingsuits have very precise control and getting within a 100 feet isn't a big deal if you build up some experience flying close to slow objects.

Except, when you deploy your canopy you have less control than a normal skydiver. Don't deploy next to anyone you're going to swoop. This is pretty much the main reason I bail on swooping a tandem or anyone else at my home DZ. If I can't setup to exit their airspace and deploy at a safe distance above my deployment altitude, I don't take the swoop.

Also 95% of people who don't fly a wingsuit have very little knowledge of how wingsuits perform. Many people will freak out if you get within 100 yards of them and if it's a tandem or student, you'll probably hurt the wingsuit scene at the DZ. Make sure people are cool with it and build up some trust at the DZ you're at. The people under canopy have no control, you have all the control, so they really need to trust you.

What percentage of the tandem students do you think actually observe the swoop? I think you have the safety part covered but is it even worth the effort? I have tried to point out other tandem canopies opening to the students and they usually cannot even spot that or even find the airport on their own without instruction...

Is it worth the effort? Well, it's a lot of fun for me, so when I'm the only wingsuit on a load and I don't feel like a purely solo flight, yeah, I'd say it's worth it even if I'm the only one who enjoys it (plus the TI always seems happy for the break in his routine).

But most students I've swooped have seen and appreciated the swoop. For one, the TI is expecting me and makes sure to point me out to the student. Plus, once I've gotten the TI's approval, I introduce myself to the student (either in the plane, or before loading) and tell them to keep an eye out for me. A lot of times the fact I'm wearing a wingsuit makes me a target for questioning while standing around in the loading area, so often the student has already expressed interest.

Also, at my current level of experience, skill, and confidence, I swoop close enough that it is really hard to miss me.
Brian Drake

Also, at my current level of experience, skill, and confidence, I swoop close enough that it is really hard to miss me.

THAT is a bold statement my friend... and I will now back out of the conversation.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Why is that a bold statement?

Perhaps you misunderstood.

The first few times I "swooped" a tandem, I was intentionally so far away that they could barely see me, and I just used them as a point of reference for fall rate.

Slowly, surely, jump by jump, I got closer and closer, always careful to be as safe and controlled as possible. Now, at MY CURRENT (not comparing to anyone else) level of experience, skill and confidence, I safely swoop at around 50 feet (give or take) away. The whooshing noise alone makes me a fairly conspicuous presence to the TI and the student. That was my only point.

Must every comment here be assumed to be one of bragging?
Brian Drake

I find that whether or not the student sees you has more to do with angle and speed than proximity

People under canopy might see you coming head on (only if they're looking up, they know you're coming???), but they won't see much of your flight. You can fly by from behind much farther away and they'll see your whole path as you go by, turn away and open and think you're a bad ass bird too B|

(edited for spelling)

This isn't flying, its falling with style.

Brian, there is a laundry list of posts on this subject that will answer many of your questions if you do a search in this forum on "swooping tandems". Here is a snippet from 2004 that I posted on this subject. Just keep in mind that it is not an all inclusive description of what needs to be covered. For that I will refer you to the chapter in my book that addresses doing this safely. have fun and be safe.:)
"At Raeford we prefer to buzz from the front. All buzzing is precoordinated and cleared with the TM before hand. After deployment the TM will face back into the line of flight and hold that heading until the Birdman passes on the TM's left side. Any deviation in the plan is for the Birdman to turn to the right and likewise for the tandem so that last minute manuevers don't put the two on a collision course. I prefer that the TM has the ability to see where I am coming from and can see me while I'm far off. Doing it from the rear doesn't allow the TM to see your trajectory and if the TM forgot about the buzz he may inadvertantly turn while your on final. Having the TM purposly face back into the line of flight lets me know he is aware of my approach and ready for it. It also allows the passenger a better view of the whole thing than from behind. "

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

We do Tandem swoops from time to time, more so as requested. There are always coordinated.

Personal opinion, 50 feet is TOO CLOSE. While the skill level may be there to conplish this, I look at it this way: we never intend to get into a car accident either, but they happen. The closure rate of the wingsuit and the canopy is such that covering 50 feet gives you almost no reaction window. For example if the tandem turns or edges into your flight path.

I also feel a responsibility on a number of levels: to the student's safety, that of the instructor, myself, and to the wingsuit community at large.

When a wingsuit pilot hits a tandem image the fallout for all wingsuiters.

I am not saying don't do tandem swooping, but manage the risk respectfully.
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

200ft is my no-fly zone around tandems, always fly tangentially to their direction (that is, my speed is perpendicular to theirs) in front of them and maintaining the same minimum distance (>200ft) from them to my line of flight, and aim to be slightly lower than tandem at the minimum distance. An analogy: shooting a gun with somebody standing on either side of you at a good distance is one thing, aiming at someone and saying "I'm gonna miss you by a few inches, don't worry" is another...
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

(that is, my speed is perpendicular to theirs)

I'm no mathematician by any means, but I do prefer to recognize the scientific definition of speed whereby it is only a magnitude with no particular direction; speed is not a vector.
Plus, swooping tandems is so last year and unrevolutionary, it's pointless. ;):P
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

How about this mathematically precise definition then: the line connecting my nipples is parallel to the horizontal component of the tandem's velocity at all times I'm less than 1000ft (but never less than 200ft) from them.
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

"Also 95% of people who don't fly a wingsuit have very little knowledge of how wingsuits perform. Many people will freak out if you get within 100 yards of them and if it's a tandem or student, you'll probably hurt the wingsuit scene at the DZ. Make sure people are cool with it and build up some trust at the DZ you're at. The people under canopy have no control, you have all the control, so they really need to trust you.

"

A few years ago when I first started flying a wingsuit I hyperfocused trying to fly back home and unintenionally flew between 2 tandems with about 100 yards to the left and right between them. In the opinion of the TM I was too close. He ran to the other TM's S&TA crying like a little school girl. S&TA chewed me a good one. Right or wrong the wrath fell on me and the birds. This particular TM eventually went on to another DZ in Utah with a VERY NEGATIVE attitude toward wingsuits and gave existing wingsuiters grief.

In addition my deployment time puts me in the same landing time frame as tandems.

Some DZ's are smaller and can pull this off but for the " Big Destination DZ's" that bang out 80 tandems a day my advice to birds is to stay away. This is a major revenue stream for the DZ. These TM's and Camera Men are getting PAID for a professional and SAFE performance for a PAYING CUSTOMER. They have to pull things off without a hitch. In my opinion they don't want / need a wingsuit pilot throwing in a variable in a well choreographed assembly line tandem skydive machine. These people carry weight and influence on the DZ becuase of the revenue they generate.

Yeah it looks cool on videos but the two biggest things going against birds these days is FEAR and IGNORANCE of wingsuits and wingsuit piloting from EXPERIENCED skydivers who want to pass judgement about what is safe or unsafe involving things they know nothing about.

For this reason I avoid tandems and make every attempt to not even be on the same plane.

I shall now step off my soapbox.

First of all. No one should be swooping a tandem unless they are an accredited wingsuit instructor on a factory roster. Only someone such as a factory instructor has put in the time and effort to build their piloting skills to perform this safely but also professionally and with measurable precision.

We don't swoop tandems as "target of opportunity" unplanned at the end of a dive. We only do this as a special request from the Tandem master. We ask that they specify proximity, approach vector, glide angle and speed.

For all of this we charge the tandem master one jump ticket per swooper. It's worth it to the TM because it spices up the TM's deary existence of hauling meat 20 times a day while we have all of the fun. We do have discounts if they want a 6-way diamond flyby ( or more). We charge because we are "professional" and our time is worth it. Not just the 7 seconds of flyby glory time but the entire dive. All of the planning, the setup at the initial approach fix, calculating the tandems heading at the Fly by ETA. Yes, video is extra.

We also Charge beer. Why because wingsuits are expensive and they suffer extreme wear diving down to approach fix. If they don't "pay beer" we just go into their fridge and take it because we are professionals.

Please don't swoop tandems unless you are qualified and an instructor.