maxmadmax

How many are we?

It is very difficult to say how many Ws-pilots (more than 25 jumps per year) on the world,maybe 350-400,but my experience is:more than 3 birds on a dz make the other jumpers start thinking about.
A bit like a chain-reaction.
5 years ago we was 3 now we 20 birds here in marl.
People start skydiving now, just to become a bird.
In 3 years there will be 5 times more than now,in case there not to much Ws-related accidents before.
Easy to say-nobody can proof :)

I think there is a wave of birds on the way that will amaze everybody. The first time I saw one I had to do it, and I've met a lot of new skydivers that feel the same. The expense keeps a lot of people out, I admit. If somebody asked me, I'd say it would cost about $15k to become a proficient WS Pilot, assuming 100 WS flights. I'm not trying to start a debate about how proficient that is, but I'm hoping to be half way decent by then. Another thing this has me wondering is how many older fliers there are. How big could a Flock over 50 be? I've met a few, and I am. Does anybody else have gray feathers, or know of any birds that do? I'm guessing not many, 10-20?
But what do I know?

WOW!

Thanks for all of the great replies!

I enjoy all of the skydiving disciplains except crew.
And I'm about ready for that.

Back to the wingsuit topic.
Got interested in it.
I'm a big guy so a demo suit ain't out there.

Ordered it, waited very patiently for it.
Got it and flew it.

One jump down.
And more to go.
Twas just like a first jump.

Anyway, I'm there and will make at least two per weekend. And get video.

Yahoo!
Mad Max

Don't go away mad....just go away!

I'm bald, I wish for grey.

Maybe you can look forward to grey pubes then Glen? :D:P

he was talking about his pubes. hasn't he told you he waxes?

Just split some coffee out on my laptop.......:D.....but no, we aren't THAT tight.:ph34r:
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

For the very experienced, does waxing help with airflow? When I was on the swim team, we'd shave our bodies to lower resistance. If I shave, will I fly faster?:D It would cut down on the cost of Grecian formula for Ed and I.

If you start at 0 jumps with the goal of becoming a proficient wingsuit pilot, you would be paying for a license program, buying gear, doing another 175 jumps (because of course you would follow the recommendations on jump numbers, all within 18 months), buying a wingsuit, and doing another 100 jumps with the suit. 15 grand, as an estimate, is not that far out of the ball park. now if you don't get the 200 jumps in 18 months and have to go all the way to 500 jumps before you can start flying a wingsuit then the estimate would be somewhere in excess of 20 grand.

For the very experienced, does waxing help with airflow? When I was on the swim team, we'd shave our bodies to lower resistance. If I shave, will I fly faster?:D

If you have a small rudder it might help alittle.....:D

It would cut down on the cost of Grecian formula for Ed and I.

No Grecian for me, I happen to like my greys and have earned every one of them. ;):)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

If you start at 0 jumps with the goal of becoming a proficient wingsuit pilot, you would be paying for a license program, buying gear, doing another 175 jumps (because of course you would follow the recommendations on jump numbers, all within 18 months), buying a wingsuit, and doing another 100 jumps with the suit. 15 grand, as an estimate, is not that far out of the ball park. now if you don't get the 200 jumps in 18 months and have to go all the way to 500 jumps before you can start flying a wingsuit then the estimate would be somewhere in excess of 20 grand.

Yopu're numbers are only accurate if you are buying everything brand spanking new with virtually no discount. 10 grand is more than enough get you from zero experience to in the door with good used gear and suit. Then figure in another 2 grand for more jumps maybe three grand if you toss in a boogie or two.

-MaxGrav

and then another
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."