dragon2

Since when is an S3 an intermediate suit..?

In his defense, he says he's looking for a intermediate wingsuit and would like a Phantom... but will also consider an S3. So he's not exactly saying S3=intermediate. But the wording is a bit vague. If he has the Prodigy wired he should be fine with the S3.

But in principle I agree with you, the S3 is not an intermediate suit, but then again when you consider suits like the GS1 and Mach 1, it's not the most advanced, difficult to fly suit either. I'd say it's somewhere between middle and top of the line, as far as ease-of-flyability goes. So just slightly above intermediate.

I put 75 jumps on a GTi before buying my S3, which I still love 400 flights later.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I put 75 jumps on a GTi before buying my S3, which I still love 400 flights later.

Put about 160 ish on my S3 after 100 plus on the Classic II and GTI. My S3 is to date the best fitting suit that I ever flew.

Have not experienced the joy of flying a proper fitting 'big' suit since. Hopefully soon :)
Kris.

Exactly. If the flyer doesn't have any problems with exit and deployment on a smaller suit, I don't think it needs that much to step up to an S3. 15-20 flights may even suffice. It really depends on the individual.

An S1 OTOH, that's a different story.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

Define beginner and define intermediate and define expert?

I know plenty of people with 100 or more wingsuit jumps who would still only fit in the beginner catagory (though thats not how they see themselves)

90% of all the skydives done in groups could be flown in a classic by most people if they focussed more on their own skills instead of what suit they fly.

Its not the suit OR jumpnumbers that make you a beginner, intermediate or expert flyer..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

90% of all the skydives done in groups could be flown in a classic by most people if they focussed more on their own skills instead of what suit they fly.

That statement just isn't true anymore hero, at least not out here. And with more than 12 different factory offerings that pretty much provide much more it just does not have to be. Notice the used price of a good condition S-3 now is below the cost of the new classics from back when.

The S-3 is the new starter suit nowadays bro. At least on the classifieds. A lot of the newer "general purpose" suits actually have much more to offer than the "high performance" suits of two years ago. It seams like they play nice with newbies and kick ass in the right hands.

That statement just isn't true anymore hero, at least not out here.

True... to reference 3.0's 9-way diamond yet again... Harry Parker (yellow/red) was wearing a GTi with armwing gripper/extensions and was giving it ALL he had. He was LAID OUT and still kept falling behind at times, and he is a very good flyer and a good build. I didn't think the flock felt particularly hard, but I checked my Neptune graph later on and we were averaging between 55 and 60mph... and had a decent forward speed too (the part Harry had a hard time with). Scott Bland (our base) was not even intending to make this a "faster flock"... it felt normal for most of us.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

That statement just isn't true anymore hero, at least not out here

Its getting better and better..on both sides of the pond..though I always forget how many years behind the curve we are;)

But looking at your Z-Flock photo's, there's only a few jumps with experienced people where the suits are truly flying?

It may be more then 10%, but show me an event video with people flocking at max from start to end, and I'll try and agree with you for once..(and even then I'll disagree..just to annoy you;))
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

But looking at your Z-Flock photo's, there's only a few jumps with experienced people where the suits are truly flying?

It may be more then 10%, but show me an event video with people flocking at max from start to end, and I'll try and agree with you for once..(and even then I'll disagree..just to annoy you;))

Are you talking to me or Glen? Glen doesn't have Z-Flock photos. And I never claimed 90% of the jumps needed a high-performance suit. Just pointed out one specific jump where it would have helped a lot to have one.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Reread my orginal post and notice Im wasnt talking to or about anyone in particular, but talking about wingsuits and flocking in general..

There are groups of people who fly max constantly, and on every dive.
but you only get that with the top flyers, in the more experienced groups.

Most flocking done at DZs is not the high speed flying most of us would like to see.

Xx, "hero"
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I never claimed 90% of the jumps needed a high-performance suit. Just pointed out one specific jump where it would have helped a lot to have one.

Then aren't you saying exactly the same thing I was saying?
At the moment, there are only a few jumps/groups where people would truly need to fly max in a high performance suit.

Some heavy bodies aside who need more wing to stay aloft..most flocks would be do-able in smaller suits..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I didn't think the flock felt particularly hard, but I checked my Neptune graph later on and we were averaging between 55 and 60mph...

I have to agree about Classic being ok for 90% flocks. Mine was flying at 45mph averages.

bsbd!

Yuri.

I didn't think the flock felt particularly hard, but I checked my Neptune graph later on and we were averaging between 55 and 60mph...

I have to agree about Classic being ok for 90% flocks. Mine was flying at 45mph averages.

You cut off my quote... I specifically said (right after the fallrate part) that the forward speed was the part that the GTi flyer could barely keep up with. Look at his legs in the picture... there is no more forward speed to be gleaned from that suit.

Being ok for 90% flocks is worthless when you are flying in the other 10%. ;)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I never claimed 90% of the jumps needed a high-performance suit. Just pointed out one specific jump where it would have helped a lot to have one.

Then aren't you saying exactly the same thing I was saying?
At the moment, there are only a few jumps/groups where people would truly need to fly max in a high performance suit.

As I said above, if you are wearing a GTi, and flying with a flock that is beyond the range of your suit, it does not fix the situation to say to yourself: "90% of the time I'd be ok!"
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

You cut off my quote... I specifically said (right after the fallrate part) that the forward speed was the part that the GTi flyer could barely keep up with. Look at his legs in the picture... there is no more forward speed to be gleaned from that suit.

Being ok for 90% flocks is worthless when you are flying in the other 10%. ;)

I know we are talking both forward and downward speed..and still stand by my orginal statement...which is exactly what you are also saying here..

The people you flock with may be flying faster..but most flocks are not..

We're talking about wingsuits/flocking in general..not about 9 talented individuals who do always fly suits at their full potential (in case that one comes up again:P)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

As I said above, if you are wearing a GTi, and flying with a flock that is beyond the range of your suit, it does not fix the situation to say to yourself: "90% of the time I'd be ok!"

Im not trying to get everyone into GTis or classics here, and wouldnt trade my current suit for a lesser one for anything in the world..

Most flocks..in terms of speed...COULD BE FLOWN IN A CLASSIC....not SHOULD be flown in a classic...

The talented group of people you fly with may be smoking it as 200 mph forward on every jump. But I think most people who flock, only get those kind of dives (flights) when they have the right group of skilled people there..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

You can't possibly annoy me. You are weak sauce! And I'm not talking max flocking. If I only had a classic to play with last year I would have been left in the dust on more than 50% of all of the flocks I participated in and that just does not have to be.

Granted Purple Mike's tiny bones or people built like him would not have suffered so. But I'm more along the size of Chuck B and a few inches taller. So guys are getting better and the new purchases are along the lines of Phantoms or ACROs which have tons more to offer fledgling flockers and satisify the skilled. Its getting almost impossible for classics to keep up and I can't tell you the last time someone was excited about their new Classic or GTI purchase. All of the new stuff gives you more to start is easier to learn on plus room to grow, with or without wooden shoes. Even if its an old S-3 from the classifieds.