PhoenixRising

sebastian video

Can we have some more details on what happened with that very, very, near miss?

Who was it? How did it happen? Were they part of the same jump? If they weren't, were they off course, or was it the two way?

Thats some freaking scary shit. [:/]
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

that close call is fucked and extreamly distrubing to those of us who do not use AAD's

I think the fact that it happened is whats most disturbing..

When someone hits you on the skull with that speed, I think the only difference the AAD is going to make is that it leaves less of a mess on the ground. But a lethal outcome would definately seem possible by the initial impact alone..

Was it someone going into full brakes (or even reversing on the flight path) to catch up with the base/formation he/she oversped?

Glad everyone is ok..could have been ugly..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Very disturbing. Had those two collided there is no doubt that both would either be dead or severly injured for the rest of their lives,hopefully most people watching this realize that. They are both extremely lucky.

Plan the dive and dive the plan. Covering what to do if a person goes low or into a tumble is one of the many things to be discussed on the ground during the dirt dive. Don't let the desire to get to the flock over ride your better judgement. Lets be safe out there people.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

well i was the top flyer in the red. im not to clear what really happened. if you notice the flyer in the orange was next to jeff and i just before the near miss. when we were docked we turned and somehow lost him. he got in front of us and was watching our trajectory to slide back into the slot. he then realized it was too late to match our speed and there was not much else that could be done. if you look closely he is flying in the same direction as us. ( i know the compressed video is not to clear )
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

>Was it someone going into full brakes (or even reversing on the flight path) to catch up with the base/formation he/she oversped?

Thats exactly what happened.
I was the yellow-orange blur.
I'm attaching an approximate drawing of our trajectories and a video with a slow-mo.
I overtook the base and started flying slowly cutting the corner (yellow line), trying to match heading of the base, waiting for them to overtake me on a parallel course so that I could coast from the side. (dots are to show progress) Duh..
The base slightly changed heading and I found myself on their path...3 seconds...zoom...two of us were born again.

We didn't touch. I tumbled to dodge the upper jumper that I couldn't see.

Lessons to be learned:
1.Anticipate. Don't sit in the danger zone or drive 20 Mhr in a fast lane. It should have been very obvious that the base would turn towards me at some point.

2. Look where you are going and don't trust anyone. Your friends might be there trying to kill you.

We were extremely lucky to walk away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp3-7pbJ3WM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4616167859921692248&pr=goog-sl

There are THREE disctinct incidents in this video that disturb me very much...TWO near collisions and the going low for a buzz job at the end.>:(
It is this very behavior that has caused me to not fly wingsuits like I used to.[:/] Zipping all over the sky...trying to show off the "performance" of a particular suit, leaving a flock to just go fly on your own, buzzing a canopy, NOT flying with the dive plan, or buzzing around "for video effect" are just too risky for me. I would hope others see it this way as well. After seeing some guys getting "T-boned" last few boogies....I'm losing the desire to flock. Wingsuits should be fun...I should not have to be paranoid of those I'm jumping with.
I like life and would enjoy it continuing .... some of you guys just plain scare me in the sky.
:o
Omar...you up for some more sweet "small-ways"???
;) I miss flying with you bro...and Matt's video from last summer brought back some very nice memories...let's go fly some Acro!B|

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2684238;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

(Reply no.10 on the previous page)
don´t pester the jester . . or better: WHY SO SERIOUS ? ?

www.pralle-zeiten.de

>Was it someone going into full brakes (or even reversing on the flight path) to catch up with the base/formation he/she oversped?

I tumbled to dodge the upper jumper that I couldn't see.

Lessons to be learned:
don't trust anyone.

I think if either one or both of you had died there would be much more discussion about what happened and how it could have been prevented. But, since you both lived, I don't think that should stop us from looking at this objectively and learning something.

However, so far, IMO there just isn't enough information. Maybe all involved could help shed some light on what took place. There must have been some post-dive bebrief.

What would cause you to tumble to avoid another flyer that you did not see?

Also, I don't see how trust has anything to do with what I saw in the video, but, an explanation might clear that up.

How did you come to pass so close to the base at such a high speed? Did you loose track of them (I believe there were 3 others in the flock) or did you misjudge the closing velocity as you were trying to rejoin the group?

Glad you are all here with us to talk about this.
Play like your life depends on it.

I tumbled to dodge the upper jumper that I couldn't see.

Lessons to be learned:
don't trust anyone.

I don't think that should stop us from looking at this objectively and learning something.

- Exactly. This is what my post was for. Questions are good.

What would cause you to tumble to avoid another flyer that you did not see?

- I was watching all 3 jumpers (2 way and video guy) until 2 of them got beyond my peripheral vision (above me). Once the lower jumper passed me I knew I had one more above me. So I rolled on my side, closing my left wing. That was an instinctive avoidance, a way to lose altitude.

Also, I don't see how trust has anything to do with what I saw in the video, but, an explanation might clear that up.

- This is more philosophical. You got no friends in the sky. Period. Any object or creature is a source of danger to you. Therefore if you move forward and encounter an object on your way by surprise - it means you have put too much trust in your environment without checking it.
In this particular case the base has encountered me on their path by surprise.

How did you come to pass so close to the base at such a high speed? Did you loose track of them (I believe there were 3 others in the flock) or did you misjudge the closing velocity as you were trying to rejoin the group?

- If you watch the slow-mo, you'll see that I was not moving towards the base but the base caught up with me. We were flying in the same direction. The closing speed you are seeing is Base speed minus My speed. Impressive, isn't it?
I kept track of the base the whole time.
What I did wrong is that I was passively waiting for opportunity to join the base with no speed for maneuver. I should have positioned myself to be rejoining the base from the side and behind. That would put me in a situation I could control better.
Also joining the base from the "inside" of the turn just isn't as safe as doing it from the outside, if you see what I mean.

What I have misjudged is the speed of the base and in how little time they can reach me if they changed heading. You can see my knees were bent, so I had very little forward speed, the base in contrary punched it out.

Glad you are all here with us to talk about this.

- Yes, very glad indeed. I'm also glad we have impressive video and a description of the situation to avoid.

Thank you!

Wow did you see that I almost got chopped in two. On the dive I saw a blur it was so fast I couldn't tell who it was untill I watched the footage. Patience grasshopper, on a wingsuit dive plenty of time exists to get to slot. No harm done, on the contrary this seems to have awakened some people to the fact that we have a huge potential for collsion, even with experienced pilots. So take your time you have twice the time of an average belly or freefly jump to get where you need to be.
BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

If you watch the slow-mo, you'll see that I was not moving towards the base but the base caught up with me. We were flying in the same direction. The closing speed you are seeing is Base speed minus My speed. Impressive, isn't it?

In a general physics sense it would be semantic to argue whether you were moving toward the base or the base was moving toward you. With no absolute reference frame, either is true. However, in a skydive the base IS the decided reference frame, so when you are in front of the base moving slower, you are effectively moving back toward them, and not the opposite.

I have been a victim of underestimated closing speed (my own fault) more than once. [:/] It is a very scary thing, and unfortunately very easy to do (with both horizontal and vertical speeds). It's like ground rush... you can't see it until it's too late.

- To avoid "ground rush" (base rush) don't "pull" (put on the brakes) too late.

- Also, if there is any chance at all you could be underestimating your closing speed, plan to join the flock 50 feet to its side, and sideslide in once you've matched their forward speed and fall rate. That way if you are going too fast (or slow, it's all same in the end) you will not be on a collision course when you pass the flock.

Glad everybody is ok.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Jeff your facial expression was so perfect all i could do was laugh! (in the raw footage you can actually here you hooting and hollering over the wind) it was a very close call indeed but we are all ok, and we can learn from this. lets all stay safe out there so we can flock together when we are old birds!!!!!!!!! ill see on the 27th.
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits