Buffdiver

Phantom Options??

Im about to put in my order for my new Phantom tomorrow!! Im just curious about your thoughts on the options.(rear inlets, mylar inserts, base pouch). Ive heard mixed thoughts about the inlets around my DZ and was not aware the mylar inserts were an option. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I doubt mylar is needed ( bare in mind ) I don't know how big/small this part is or if it is even offered in the phantom. Normaly Mylar is used to keep large leg wings trailing edges from oscilating and for a few BASE related advantages.

If the performance is just as good with the back vents as without ( haven't flown the suit, only the ACRO) I would go for this option. I know several excellent back flyers that will lead a full flock, 2 plus minutes, on their backs.

The back vents are a must, but don't bother with the base pouch or mylar.

what he said.. unless of course you are going to BASE with it.
for some reason i thought all PF suits came std with the base pouch.. but come to think of it, i'm thinking of the vamp specifically.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

what he said.. unless of course you are going to BASE with it. for some reason i thought all PF suits came std with the base pouch.. but come to think of it, i'm thinking of the vamp specifically.

Only the Vampires come standard with a BASE pouch, as they're the only suits which need it. There's no pull interference from the arm wing on the Phantom, so a BASE pouch is pretty pointless.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

I have not noticed any performance on my "phacro" GREAT all around suit I must say!

Also it is my understanding that you cant get back inlets and a base pouch. I wondered about this and after looking at my suit and another guys Phantom with a few other people decide it was because the location of the pouch would conflict with location of the back inlets. Not sure if this is teh gospel on that but that is the best we could figure. No need for the pouch on ta phantom as there is no real conflict with the wing and BOC pull..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I really enjoyed jumping Rob Jones' back-vented Phantom .. it's a great all around suit. On its back it really feels nicely inflated.

Rob tells me though, that there is some performance penalty due to slight differences in the wings for belly-flying when the back vents are on the suit. How much is very hard to say.

Scott

Also it is my understanding that you cant get back inlets and a base pouch.

Yeah you can. I got both on my Phantom...:)

This was a safety issue I brought up to James(Unclecharlie) in Cochstedt. If you look closely on the suits that have both, it is improbable but not impossible for the hack/handle to accidentally slip into the vent which would place the handle effectively inside the suit making it impossible to pull. According to what James told me then, PF no longer offers both of those options on the same suit for the very reason mentioned above.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Scott C is the only person that I know of who owned both the older standard phantom and the newer back inlet updated one. It would be a shame if he told us that the northern weather didn't permit him back to back comparisons.

Well currently as I speak, a sub freezing weather front has moved into the normally comfy Pacafic NW and darn it if I dont have a meeting I have to attend this weekend for my company.... :P But, IMO, the back inlets dont seem to let anything "go" when on your belly. I have not noted any issues with inflating the wing right out the door or durring different flight angles. One thing I have noted is when on my back the leg wing is very noticable in the effectiveness of the inflation . It almost seems to inflate better on my back but take that opinion with a grain of salt as I am usually fighting just to stay somewhat stable while on my back as it is...;)

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"