skyjumpsteve

Z-Hills Thanksgiving flocking

Many thanks to all the Z-Hills wingsuiters for some great jumps and for welcoming me to the flock. I had a great time and will be down again soon with some other Northeastern birds who are kind of cooped up until spring time. A special thanks to Jeff for spending a ton of time with me and teaching me more than I ever imagined I could learn in a week. It was also awesome to fly the Mach-1. What a great suit. Oiy!

P.S. Thanks Manny for the Chopter ride. ;)

I'm glad you learned so much especially how to correctly track out of a flat spin instead of balling up, good job.

Jeff, could you elaborate on this? While I agree it is possible to fly out of a flat spin, I would not say this is the "correct" thing to do. Balling up is the most simple and reliable way for somebody who is unfamiliar with flat spins, and who is overwhelmed by the spin. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "track out", but if it involves closing down the wings, then it is accomplishing almost the same thing as balling up.

If you know what you are doing, you can fly out of a flat spin without balling up, but then again if you know what you are doing it is virtually impossible to get into a flat spin, as you will correct yourself before it gets that far. ;)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I don't think Steve ever got into a full-on spin, but he did make several good revolutions and was able to fly out of it. No biggie.

What is the proper recovery technique for a 3/4 or a 6 & 7/8ths of full potential flat spin? Anyone know? I have been trying , for years, just to get into a flat spin just so that I may practice my recovery from the dreaded flat spin and have not been able to. Maybe its my aerodynamically pointy head that keeps me on heading?

Sometimes I feel like such a failure. Of course I haven't seen anyone else around me in a flat spin either so maybe there is still hope for me. Maybe the air molecules on the west side of the rockies are more linear or laminar and have a reluctance to spinning up compared to the swirly air found coming up off the gulf affecting more of the east. Damn I wonder how they do it in Europe?

If you are in Norway, France or other bigwall land and you go into a flat spin on a fixed object wingsuit jump what is the percentage increase in wall strike probability? Is this covered in BASE first flight courses? I'll ask Jeb the next time I see him, I guess.

selfquote:

if you know what you are doing it is virtually impossible to get into a flat spin

Congrats Glen, you know your shit! :P;)

A flatspin is no different than an AFF student tumbling out of control (I did this on level 4 from the door until 5000 feet), it is just much worse because of the extra surface area, and often, the panic. Once you are basically competent at flying the suit and have a cool head, it should not be an issue. Often what people call flatspins are only a few tumbles that seemed much worse and longer.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Often what people call flatspins are only a few tumbles that seemed much worse and longer.

Matt I am so relieved. The way some people talk on here of flat spins in wingsuits had most of my students worried that they would be held in a "drawn & quartered" position until their soft parts like eyeballs and lung tissue were extruded through their skulls by centrifugal force or they hit the ground hard, whichever came first.

As far as few tumbles go we like to start the flocking day with exactly that to warm us up. I myself usually am one of the first to initiate unwarranted contact to induce flight oscillations in my fellow flyers to steal their slot. I know its a perverse kind of glory and I am getting help but its a process.

I plan to buy an Acro so that any tumbling or spinning will be more stylish and I can claim it as part of the whole acrobatics thing.

until their soft parts like eyeballs . . . were extruded through their skulls by centrifugal force

You'll have to ask Heffro about that one. Hey Jeff, how come you didn't track out of that spin? :P:D Sorry, couldn't resist.

I myself usually am one of the first to initiate unwarranted contact to induce flight oscillations in my fellow flyers to steal their slot. I know its a perverse kind of glory and I am getting help but its a process.

It's even more fun if you do it without touching them. Burble warfare.

I plan to buy an Acro so that any tumbling or spinning will be more stylish and I can claim it as part of the whole acrobatics thing.

This literally happened to me once, except I didn't make the claim. Right after I got my S3 I was trying to show off near the end of a 2-way with a newbie and maxed out so hard at breakoff I stalled the suit, my brain locked up, and I tumbled a few times. I got stable again around 2500 ft. On the ground the kid ran up to me and congratulated me on the awesome acrobatics show I gave him... he was serious. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

What is the proper recovery technique for a 3/4 or a 6 & 7/8ths of full potential flat spin?

Good question.

I have a feeling that some suits are more prone for flat spin.

I have flown Phantom only. I had jumps where I was flying dirty or even tumbling. I have released tension and fly some seconds a bit dirtier and back to max-out when I felt getting unstable.

I dunno about everybody else but all i got from glen's posts today are "please try to burble/tackle me on every wingsuit jump i go on for the next month" So we should probably all band together and help him out.
word to your mother,
RJ$$
BASE 1117

I can tell you from the experience of doing intentional flat spins to the point of feeling like my feet and head are going to blow up, the best way to get out of one is to collapse all wings including leg wing, arch and track to the opposite direction of the spin. Balling up makes you go faster, just like a figure skater that is spinning when arms are pulled in they spin faster on that axis. On my 40th wingsuit jump I experienced a flat spin from my bootie coming off and pulling up to my knee on a backfly rodeo jump. the first thing I did was to ball up and I started spinning faster to the point that I was pinned flat, this is the part of the jump wear my eye damage occured. Even if your a very experienced wingsuit pilot someone can clip you on the side of a leg and send you spinning.
BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

Absolutely the suckiest,

Come on down to Otay for some winter combat flockin. We will have suprisingly good weather. Yesturday was t- shirt temperture at altitude. Not much of an enticer for the Florida guys but if you find yourself weathered in in places like British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, NorCal, Boston, Chicago you just might want to hop a jet down. Even Purple Mike will be welcomed.:ph34r:

RJ, in moab I would have taken somebody out but they are were too fast for me to catch. :D