mfnren

rigid wings?

many people died when wingsuits started (72 of the first 75) or have you forgotten already!

That's what I said right? Those early birds all had variations of rigid wings. Wingsuiting only became "safe" (and allowed again!) with the invention of soft wings.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

yeah, why explore more efficient materials, that doesnt make any sense?
how would using rigid parts in a wingsuit change that your flying yourself?

Pilots fly themselves.

For the same reason Felix's record was thrown out by the Guinness book. He fell into the same category as a fixed wing glider. Your skeleton needs to be your airframe if you want to call it a wingsuit.

If you want to fly a fixed wing - get a plane. Put an engine on. Do inflight refueling. And don't bother with us mortals exploring the bounds of human flight.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

yeah, why explore more efficient materials, that doesnt make any sense?
how would using rigid parts in a wingsuit change that your flying yourself?

Pilots fly themselves.

For the same reason Felix's record was thrown out by the Guinness book. He fell into the same category as a fixed wing glider. Your skeleton needs to be your airframe if you want to call it a wingsuit.

If you want to fly a fixed wing - get a plane. Put an engine on. Do inflight refueling. And don't bother with us mortals exploring the bounds of human flight.

t

Devil's advocate here, don't wingtip grippers and mylar ribs mean that rigid parts are already encroaching on our current generation of wingsuits? Shouldn't we expect the amount of rigid sections used in wingsuit designs to gradually increase design by design as gains in performance and possibly endurance become apparent?

It may be that we will reach a point where an arbitrary line in the sand is drawn with 'soft' on one side and 'rigid' on the other seperated only by a matter of degree.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

It may be that we will reach a point where an arbitrary line in the sand is drawn with 'soft' on one side and 'rigid' on the other seperated only by a matter of degree.

The VKB G3 would already be quite a nice subject of discussion..with the rig forming a rigid airfoil with the body...

But its still an airfoil constructed around a human body. When compared to the channel-crossing glider, that jumper is merely hanging under a wing (which would probably fly better if the jumper wasnt there)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Your skeleton needs to be your airframe if you want to call it a wingsuit.

Mylar ribs and wing tip grippers do not change that.

Yeah absolutely, they're obviously nothing like Skyray/Yves Rossy/Felix.

But are they only the beginning, how many more tricks and tweaks and bits of plastic (or even carbonfuckingfibre;)) are going to come into mainstream wingsuits over the next 3/5/10 years?

I don't know, and I'm not saying it will happen - I'm just wondering if it might.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

hmmm, I said rigid parts in wings suits. Such as ribs, maybe hard top surfaces? And I get all this hostility about thats not pure wingsuiting?
I am not talking about fixed wings on your back, I m talking about the improvement of wingsuits..
And whats with the mortals comment? pretty pretentous for someone who jumps out of a plane,,,

Felix.

And for the rigid parts, loads of birdman have died already as said before, the soft wings are the evolution of rigid (part or whole) wings, not the other way round. I don't see mylar ribwise as "stiff" as the wing is still totally collapsible.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The only stiffening in modern wingsuits is chord-wise. There is no span-wise stiffening as that would prevent you from shutting down your wings. Also, none of the stiffening (mylar) in any of the high-end suits on the market hamper a person from flexing his body in any way they deem fit. This, of course, comes at the price of prematurely wearing out the mylar stiffeners currently used.

As has already been stated, the term wingsuit indicates that it is still basically a cloth garment; not a rigid wing. The skeleton-as-frame analogy was perfect.

I am not quite sure what you meant with your "pretentious" comment towards Tonto. Care to ellaborate?

Chuck
BMCI-4 (among other things)

sure, I just thought telling me if I wanted to fly with rigid wing (which is not what I meant) go fly a plane and leave the human flight boundaries to wingsuit pilots was a little funny considering we jump out of planes.
But anway, I was hoping to get some ideas on creating higher performance wingsuits by using rigid materials in the cuurent design..body as airframe. Integrating them into the design as to not hinder movement or ability to shut the wing down.

I think we are doing a fantastic job right now. As it is, there are very, very few wingsuiters regularly flying their high-end suits anywhere near their maximum potential. I would really like it if the average forward speed would increase on flocks and, consequently, the vertical speed to decrease. Without that, it's truly pointless to flock in big suits when a Firebird/Phantom/S-fly is fine. I am about to have a smaller Acro-type suit built for day-to-day flocking and cutting up; quite the opposite of what you envision the discipline going to.

Chuck

I don t disagree. the wingsuits aavailable are doing amzing thing with the pilots who are flying them. your right, I am not thinking about flocking , there are many visions of wingsuit flying, and room for all of them.
just wanted to explore some of the possibilitys...

Fine, then in that case I would simply ask "how much hassle are you willing to deal with at pull time in that environment?" If I were going for that maximum glide and wanting to hum it "Robi low", I think that too much more rigidity than what's being jumped right now would be a real problem.

I don't really think there are a lot of BASE wingsuiters out there who are, seriously, in need of "more glide to survive".

Chuck

yea , hehe, and seeing all the possiblitys that wingsuits create, amazing.. but wouldnt more glide be desirable skydiving as well??
There probably aren t to many baser that need more glide to survive, how about more glide to out fly 10 ledgesinsted of 5, or lets fly around that knob, rather than pull at the base of it?