tdog

Team Avian Flew...

There is a new flock in town... See attached.

Box just came today... The suits are airing their wings, getting ready to fly...

It is like Christmas morning and Santa just came... But much better. And more grown up too.:)

Geezzzz... The box came after sundown... And I post a photo in ten minutes after opening... And you want in air photos already....

I guess that means I have to wake up and go to the DZ, huh...

The third member of Avian Flew opted to go snowboarding today because he had a free condo with beautiful woman (or so I can hope for him) in the mountains today... So there will be only two of us flying today...

But, I can see the next few months being pretty fun as we learn to dial it in as a group!

Still no in air photos... Yet...

I am a complete novice when it comes to wingsuit flying, I will admit that... I am lucky that so many experienced people are giving us coaching.... I have flown the prodigy before, but this is the first "true" wingsuit I have flown.

I got in four jumps today... Three solos and a two way flock...

I thought the day started good when my speeds were in the 70s- remembering this was the first jump on the suit and I spent most of the dive touching handles, getting used to the suit with wings collapsed, etc...

The second jump was in the low sixties.... Again, very dirty flying, but this time I was paying more attention to the lift created by the wings.

The third jump, at 10K I remember hitting the sweet spot and feeling this incredible lift... I only wish I knew what I got it down to, but my protrack thought I pulled at 10K and showed zero speed. The protrack did give me enough info to calculate that I was in the low sixties before it thought I pulled... So I estimate I entered the mid to low 50's as the change in wind noise, the sudden lift, and everything else told me I was getting major lift and slowing down a lot.

The fourth jump, I was back in the 60's, trying to feel what different things felt like and flying a very predictable way as we were flying together...

So, I am no expert, but knowing where I am at now in 4 jumps on this suit, I am expecting great things as I learn how to actually fly it! Right now it is flying me, and making me look good... Now I need to learn how to show it who is boss... Wow... I really think the suit is great.

T.

be sure to set your protrack to SLO mode that way it shouldn't think you deployed at 10k when you hit the sweet spot

Yep... A few people reminded me of that when I forgot to change it... I never thought about it until it happened because I had low expectations of actually slowing down that much... Pleasant surprise...

Sweet, I got my first jumps on a phantom today too - not mine though, I'm just demoing it.

The first two jumps were in the high 50's - just a bit better than the best I got on my previous 6 classic jumps - but right at the end of my 2nd jump I realised that my leg stance was way too narrow.

On the next jump I spread the leg wing a lot more and got 53mph on the first half (with a barrel roll thrown in) with what felt like way, way more forward speed before my arms gave up (ok, I'm a wuss:$) and flew very dirty for the rest of the jump. I'm looking forward to flying it again (with fresh arms) next weekend and getting to do more than just scratch the surface.

Very sweet suitB|.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

As long as we are posting pics of suits that are not flying. My runway is a bit congested:P.

Geez Kris, you could make a demo fleet out of that, and start a wingsuit school for tall thin students only, of course. :D:P
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Kris you are killing me! :D I still really appreciate the deal you gave me on that PC-109, bro.

For those not in the know, Kris showed up at Deland with like four wingsuits, but not enough money to skydive because of it! He totally hooked me up with a brand-new-in-the-box PC-109 he didn't need at the moment so we both came away happy and Kris was able to jump all he wanted.

I was the guy Travis was flocking with on Saturday and we had a blast. I've got some raw camera footage of him but there'll definitely be some more photos and footage to come in the future.

On the pro-track issue, on some wingsuits flights before, my pro-track (even when set on SLO) would give me a half-chirp at 6K and then not work anymore after that. It seems to get confused sometimes when travelling at very low speeds. Someone mentioned that since mine is one of the older protracks out there that perhaps the software hasnt been updated yet. I'd like to check out a Neptune and see how it works. Does anyone know the prices on those GPS units? I have a GPS but I dont think mine would update fast enough in FF to keep up with us. The tracking derby at eloy seemed to be using some very cool stuff to get almost perfectly accurate assessments of their speeds and distances.

Travis had to leave on a trip for work on Sunday so I flocked with my buddy Rich (the three of us are TEAM AVIAN FLEW. Not sure what the heck we're gonna compete in though) and we had a blast. I think I'm going to spend quite a few more solo flights to see what I can really get the suit to do because right now our flocking feels like dirty flying. Even though it's fun and we get some awesome footage, it could be much more once we're both capable of maxing out the suit's performance capabilities.

In any case, I love my phantom. In my first flight in it (yes i bought beer, leave me alone) I got it down to 60mph as my average. I think this suit is MUCH easier to fly than the GTI was. I was bummed that it took so long to get my suit but I guess between Christmas and Quality control and using a middle-man, it's worth the wait. I'd like to say a big THANK YOU to Jay Epstein-Ramirez who was our local Phoenix-Fly rep. He met us at a gas station in the middle of the week on his way to the airport just to get us measured for our suits. He's really top-notch.

Happy flocking everyone, photos and vids soon to come!

~alan

He met us at a gas station in the middle of the week on his way to the airport just to get us measured for our suits.

I knew people referred to wingsuits as nylon-crack..but I never expected people to start meeting with their dealers at abandoned gas stations...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I have a GPS but I dont think mine would update fast enough in FF to keep up with us. The tracking derby at eloy seemed to be using some very cool stuff to get almost perfectly accurate assessments of their speeds and distances.

Which model of GPS receiver do you currently have? You very well may be able to use what you have with a little imagination and modification. I worked with Claude in the very beginning before the tracking derby went public and as far as I know, he is still using the Garmin Foretrex 201 GPS receiver and software written by one of his associates. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

As long as we are posting pics of suits that are not flying. My runway is a bit congested:P.

Geez Kris, you could make a demo fleet out of that, and start a wingsuit school for tall thin students only, of course. :D:P

The only suit I am letting other people use is the S-Fly. It has been flown quite a bit(the suit that I have most jumps on out of the lot) so I am not so possesive of it any longer. I even offered it to someone that was taking a trip to spain.

Chuck, As pusher-in-chief, you know this bro, this shit is addictive :D.

While taking that picture(of the suits) I realized that I will never do justice to the suits with the amount of jumping I'll be doing here in the U.K(30-35 jumps last season). So, I thought long and hard and came to a this conclusion.

"One more wingsuit is all I need"

Kris.

I was the guy Travis was flocking with on Saturday and we had a blast.

Travis had to leave on a trip for work on Sunday so I flocked with my buddy Rich (the three of us are TEAM AVIAN FLEW.

Alan,

And here I am working in ballroom and I can see Skyventure Orlando across the street (and I don't know if I will have any time off) - and my heart is going pitter-patter knowing a tunnel is so close, and my wingsuit is so far away... It just seems like evil torture right now... I can't fly either!

But at least the balance (due to actually getting paid to be here) in my bank account is filling up!

I think I have a wuffo work-mate who wants to fly, so maybe I will hit up the tunnel...

But, we did have fun, didn't we...