Trae

has the military got going with the wingsuit thing yet?

1947 - the French Air Force let Leo Valentin test some of his wingsuits out of their airplanes.

2004 - a French Government wind tunnel did a bit of testing for the French Army and showed some snazzy concept sketches at the 2004 PIA Symposium.

2005 - the US Army Golden Knights strutted a few new wingsuits.

The toughest challenge is getting Special Forces operators the 200 jumps - needed before they try wingsuits - along with keeping all their other Taliban-killing skills current.

The Golden Knights bought a few suits and are going to be working on some "super diamond tracks" at Yuma this month (and next) to potentially add some spice to their shows. They are not doing any "tactical feasibility testing".

Edited to add that any such "testing" in the US military would be conducted by the Airborne and Special Operations Test Board here on Fort Bragg. I can promise you there is simply no thought of any such testing over there.

Strap some micro jets on and then ......???

Get shot down? I dunno, seems like a wingsuit / jet would be an easy, if small, target... A flock of bird soldiers against a CIWS wouldn't stand a chance.

Maybe that's what Birdman should be working on...Stealth...
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

chuck rememeber the SKYRAY... not a wingsuit BUT... I heard the German Military were testing 2 versions...

The sports verison that goes about 10k, and a larger version that goes 100k in distance....
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Hi birds,
No WS in the french army too , we just have experimented for tactical insertion a special paraglider from Nervures ( glide ratio 6 exit only 12000 ft ! those who have performed HAHO jumps will enjoy and understand the progress and comfort ! )
Blue skies
Chris

in reply to "Maybe that's what Birdman should be working on...Stealth...

nice idea;) faceted wingsuit .

Sort of more seriously ....flat stiffish panels on the undersurface would increase the wings efficiency and perhaps allow for extensions past the arms width.

in reply to "the V1 has stiffiners in it.... "

Yeah and aint it hot.... love those hand control rods.

I was thinking more like a stiffish panel covering the majority of the span(rather than the relatively narrow tabs in the V1) to provide a much more definite and less changeable lower wing surface .
Awkward to fold perhaps but the advantages might be worth it.
Similar to how going to a metal skinned wing increased efficiencies over fabric wings in aircraft.

Making the the top surface stiff would be trickier.

in reply to " rememeber the SKYRAY... not a wingsuit BUT... I heard the German Military were testing 2 versions...

The sports verison that goes about 10k, and a larger version that goes 100k in distance.... "

Any more info on this or is it a bit hush hush.?

100km range would need a fair size fuel tank needing an increased wing-area meaning more weight needing a bigger wing etc. This thing must be a fair size.B| In-flight refueling??

Speaking about the Skyray does any-one have any flight experiences in it to share?

Highly unlikely as Skymoney said limited payload, navigating at night from under canopy fine, on a wingsuit possible but tedious and insufficient glide path relative to the existing methods.
And if they were would they be posting details on the web? I think not.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

I heard it was supposed to have compartments for more gear... I doubt it would have built in wpns systems though. No air to air combat with other planes planned.

how embarrassing would that be to get shot down by a silent skyray flyer?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

in reply to "how embarrassing would that be to get shot down by a silent skyray flyer? "

It'd hurt just as much.

years ago I saw some footage of a gadget as big as a 44gallon drum powered by jets that took off and flew at high speed over long distances ..carrying one person. Apparently gyro stabilised . After a couple of decades of developement that same gadget would probably look like a UFO to our eyes. talk about hush ..nothing to be found about this now.

The HP Skyray would be like it's retarded little brother.

We discussed this some time back but the Switchblade was the focus at the time. While it has far greater range than a skyray, some of the same shortcomings that I outlined to the designer of the Switchblade hold true for the Skyray as well.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

That's one fun loooking gadget..... but it's very different from the take -off and fly across the tree tops item I saw (only on film )

It had the pilot standing up and leaning to direct it. + multi jet support ...no wings.

So what hapened to the switch-blade?

So what hapened to the switch-blade?

It found it's glory in a Hollywood movie and that pretty much it. The reasons I listed in the thread are just the beginning of why the military hasn't adopted it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING