lauras

Buzzing people under canopy?

Ron, you are such a perfect cone

My, I guess it is fear. My fear is your ego is bigger than your skill set.

Notice that the BEST fliers said it is not ?

Well that statement proves your ego is big.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

If you hit me when you buzz me under canopy you could very well kill me.

I think you should not be allowed @ public dz's with those type dangerous antics.

Cool, lets take a vote.

A) Rational skydivers not wanting to be someones swoop toy at the risk of being killed, vs.

B) Ego maniacs that think they have mad skills and should be able to do as they please risking who they want in the process.

There are a few folks I would let "buzz" me (Rob Jones, Chuck Blue, Scott.....Ray Dutch already has). But those folks have the common sense to know to ask before they make someone an unwilling participant in their "fun".

People who do it without permission are assholes and dangerous.

With this I realize that this is the Wing suit forum and I will not find much sympathy here.....But buzz me without permission and you will not find much sympathy from me.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

You just defined a dock, not a buzz. It is indeed dangerous.

I defined a buzz as being far enough to account for any unexpected canopy maneuver. Such a distance greatly exceeds any margin for the pilot's own imperfections. It is safe.

No, a dock is what Chris Martin, myself and Perry did on Jeffro under the Xaos 21;a dock is what Jeb/Loic did on Lugi under the 39. In both cases, CONTACT was planned.

We are talking about an UNPLANNED Buzz/fly by where contact IS NOT the intention.

YOU say it is safe, that doesn't mean that the non wingsuit flyer feels the same way and thats what this discussion is about.

Now how does the non wingsuiter out there look at those who fly wingsuits? It doesn't matter if you were 30 feet away or 200 feet. As one skydiver has already said "if I tell you that your group opened to close to my group, its too close", thats how and what they consider close and potentialy dangerous. Peoples ideas and perceptions , both wingsuiters and non, vary greatly on what they define as close and dangerous.There is always one dumb ass out there trying to show off or thinks he has skills who will push this to the extreme. Again, it's about perception from the non wingsuiters perspective that can ultimately effect wingsuits as a whole. The poll in the other forum and other skydivers posts in this thread should be a good indicator of how strongly they feel about this. PERCEPTION IS REALITY. And in this reality skydivers far outnumber wingsuiters and who do you think will get the short end of the stick when push comes to shove?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

so, now that we got into threats

We got into threats when people said they like to use me as a cone without reguard to my feelings about it.

Hey Tom,
Hypothetically, if I were to state an opinion of mine,

Consider this your warning.

Tom's words from SC,HH's rules, enforced by all the moderators, in all the forums. Read the forum rules if you need more specifics.

If you find yourself starting a thread specifically about another poster, I strongly urge you to reconsider. Personal threads are silly, usually pointless, and mostly devolve into flame fests. Such threads are viewed with the utmost skepticism by the moderators, so be prepared for them to be removed without notice.

Also, trying to dress your attacks up as a poll (poll: is Joe an idiot? poll: should Jack admit he's wrong?, etc) is a not very clever way to disguise a personal attack, and will not be tolerated.

When discussing in this (or any) forum, a good rule of thumb is the one we learned in 2nd grade soccer--play the ball, not the player. If you find yourself directing things at a person rather than at what they say, chances are you are out of line.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

A few ego maniacs, that think they know more than anyone else, will do great damage to your tiny aspect of the sport.

I get buzzed without my permission, the bird and I *will* fight about it.

I had been thinking about doing more BM stuff...But if attitudes like yours are the norm, I'd rather not.

I'm done here....Have fun, fly into a cliff for all I care, but remember, "your freedom ends where my safety starts".

[Is there a reason why fighters does not slalom around commercial flight? Does is have to do with FAA or just common sense?

dude... have you ever flown a fighter? (being good freinds with more than a few, retired and current, i have heard some great stories of "target practice" with commercial airliners"[not LIVE target practice you idiots... just radar locks/slaloming])
there are cooler things to slalom than parachutes.
(im not a Fighter pilot, but some of the planes i fly come close enough)

ps... its too windy to fly right now[:/] just tried to take off... wasnt happening

I have just done a pretty large clean up in this thread.

There are some good points and valuable discussion here. Let's not lose track of that. I'd rather not have to remove the thread because folks can't separate the discussion from their personalities. If this spirals downward again, I'll likely lock it and leave it in the forum.

People, you need to figure out when to make your points and leave it at that. Making personal attacks in conjunction with good input just detracts from your ability to convey real information and opinions.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

This is mostly directed to Laura and Oren:

Guys, I didn't take your or anyones comments as personal attacks. But I did expect that after giving my satement on my last post, people would directly attack me, which to my relief did not happen. I did get offended though, when alot of people somewhat attacked "the unknown buzzer" without any facts. It also bothered me that I had to take the time to explain myself on a discussion so negative. I only like to post here for entertainment (i.e. posting my videos), education (i.e. my wingsuit review & aerobatics), or information (i.e. on events such as Flock n' Dock and PR FreeFall Fest). If you notice I have more jumps than posts. That should tell you something.

I wish I had the time to post my 'side of the story' sooner, and maybe this thread wouldn't have gone so out of hand. I think everyone that knows me at the DZ know that I don't have a bad attitude. I am not arrogant and I consider myself to be laid back and humble. Like I said before I know my limitations. And I am always willing to learn from my own experiences and others'. I am not a skygod or a wingsuit god. I have made some mistakes, and even gotten hurt, and I took them as learning experiences. And as a result that has made me a safer skydiver and wingsuit pilot. I have even refused to get involved in some "new experimental" wingsuits fligths with my buddies because I have consired myself "not ready for that yet". It's like someone here said before, I will have to prove myself (as a safe skydiver). You guys are more than welcome to approach me and talk to me or any wingsuit pilot at the DZ with any concerns or questions that you may have. I promise I won't give you any attitude. I can't. I don't have any.

As for every one here, I just want to make something clear:

My situation happened a while ago. We were, in my opinion, at the wrong place at the wrong time. Things have changed since then. And I have NEVER approved or will ever approve of unplanned INTENTIONAL buzz jobs.

Peace.

WINGSUIT ACROBATICS team O zone
ZF#5 , HISPA#70
Blue Skies...
...Big Fat Clouds

You need to get a clue that there are a lot fewer wing suit flyers than everyone else and if people start to perceive a problem, it is you that is going to suffer.

no perceived problem at my home dz, because there is no problem

At my DZ if you want to swoop the pond, you have the choice of getting out low or getting out last and opening high.

I never mentioned swooping any pond.

You do this at what YOU consider is a safe distance and in what YOU consider a safe and controlled manner. I don't know you and I don't want you deciding for me what is safe and what is controlled.

holy crap guy, I hope you have that same shitty I-know-what's-safe-and-obviously-you-don't-so-just-do-as-I-say attitude towards every other jumper on your load and the pilots too.

these are all people who have to make decisions on what is safe and what is controlled on every plane ride and skydive and on any given load any other person on that plane can kill YOU by acting in an unsafe and/or uncontrolled manner

better accept the fact that you can't be there 100% of the time to tell ALL the other people on the DZ how to keep YOU safe (although I can tell this is your number one fantasy...)

at some point you have to trust that their training and judgement is good enough

Why not extend that same trust to experienced wingsuit pilots in this matter?

Because sometimes you have to give up something to get something

luckily getting out of the otter last at my home dz does not mean I have to give up landing in the gap between experienced jumpers and slow canopies, it also doesn't mean I have to give up 3000 - 4000ft of flying time (that would be more than 60 seconds to me).

this is because the people who DO know me (not you) are satisfied that I am acting in a safe and controlled manner

make sense?

No

that's because you are blinded by being so reactionary about this

take a few days off from posting to this thread and read it again a week from now and see if you're still just as pissed... :P

A properly executed buzz accounts for any unexpected canopy maneuver. This is what makes it absolutely safe.

An issue of politeness and fear has been covered already. It has nothing to do with safety.

To F111: yes, proximity is important. A bulletproof distance is such where any canopy maneuver will not put it in WS path. For a tandem, this distance is quite small. An actual safe distance is even shorter: since a wingsuit can outfly any canopy, it is only determined by a pilot's reaction time.

bsbd!

Yuri.

I can't add to this, I can only second it. But what do I know, I've only flown in close proximity to canopies about 600 times.

If anyone has issues with you, the experienced wingsuit pilot, buzzing them without warning, then I recommend approaching and leaving from behind, so that they won't see you. Fly right over their canopy spanwise, but don't let your shadow show through or they might look for you.

Problem solved. :)

I just don't understand why you need to fly a pattern that is going to put you anywhere near open canopies while you are still in freefall. If you guys have as much control and awareness as you all seem to say you have, then stay the hell away and there is no potential for a problem (perceived or otherwise).

You have a 2.0 loaded canopy. If you get out last and deploy at 6k, you're going to be flying past some other people's canopies when you head home. There's nothing unsafe about it and as long as you're not swooping the tandems at 3k no one is going to think twice about you sinking down past them in a spin a hundred yards away.

Wingsuits also have to turn in and fly home at some point if they're going to land at the DZ, just like you would under a canopy. Flying home like that can present to you some traffic, canopies that have been in the sky for about a minute before you get near them. These canopies are obvious to see and easy to avoid, just like they are to you when you're under your pocket rocket.

Every skydiver uses a canopy. So when they see a canopy pass them while they're under canopy or have one swoop them while they're on the ground, they understand the context of it.

The problem wingsuiters have is that people don't understand them. So you can easily freak people out who think that being in a wingsuit = freefall.

Every skydiver uses a canopy. So when they see a canopy pass them while they're under canopy or have one swoop them while they're on the ground, they understand the context of it.

I still don't like people to fly right next to me in formation unless I know them and trust them. Why sould I be OK with some guy I don't know flying a WS near me if I don't like some guy under canopy near me.

The big difference is that under canopy I can get away....The WS buzz takes one second and I have no options.

The problem wingsuiters have is that people don't understand them. So you can easily freak people out who think that being in a wingsuit = freefall.

My big problem is people who think its OK to do no matter how I feel about it.

Like I said if I don't want someone I don't know flying a canopy 50 feet from me at close to the same speed...Why would I be OK with some guy I don't know buzzing me at a 60-100 MPH difference?

Ron,

It is perfectly ok for you to be scared. Everybody agrees that is a good enough reason not to buzz you or anybody else unexpectedly.

As far as actual risks go, you are not qualified to assess them, and not required to. You don't want to be buzzed, so you don't get buzzed. The rest is a technical discussion for wingsuit pilots.

You also need to work on your conflict resolution model. As it stands, trying to break somebody's nose will get you hurt and arrested. Not a good outcome.

It's just too easy to push your buttons. It has already developed into dz.com game, with off-line betting etc :)
bsbd!

Yuri.