JENNR8R

Flight Plan

The weather at my DZ in Virginia was calling for clouds and a high of 40 degrees last weekend so I decided to go to Florida to do my first wingsuit jump. I couldn't have asked for better weather ... blue skies and 80 degrees. I came home to snow and a promise of a 36 degree high this weekend at my DZ. Anyone have any experience in jumping a wingsuit in the cold?

Flying the suit was harder than I imagined it would be, but everyone who saw Scary Perry's pictures and video of my first two flights said I did well. I appreciated the help and encouragement from all the wingsuiters there. Thanks guys.

One of the hardest things for me was the flight plan. I didn't think I would ever get my 'A' license because I couldn't understand spotting ... excuse me while I breathe into a paper bag ... the mere mention of the word 'spotting' causes me to hyperventilate.

I'm a belly flyer and have made it a point not to be the one spotting on a load. In fact, I try to exit from inside the airplane so I don't have to look at the ground. When I'm doing my RW, I never look at the ground until I'm under canopy at about 2,300 feet.

Flying a wingsuit had me looking at the ground the whole time ... and at a landscape that I didn't recognize because I wasn't familiar with the DZ. This DZ has one of those triangular runways, and I couldn't find the landing area from altitude. I knew it was at one of the triangle points, but which one? I kept getting lost in the air, not knowing where to go ... not good!

On my last jump I spoke with several people about the flight plan. The jump run was East to West. Since wingsuiters get out last, I would be West of the DZ over the swamp. I needed to get out of the airplane, turn South then East back towards the DZ. I wasn't to go much past the hangar. OK, I had a plan.

The problem was that the airplane did a 'go around' for a tandem. When it was my turn to get out, I was directly over the hangar where I was supposed to end up. I jumped out of the airplane forgetting to pick up the arm wing grips. By the time I fixed that and looked at the ground, I was lost again and didn't know where to go. I've been trying to figure out what I should have done for days and cannot come up with a solution. Suggestions anyone?

I'm thrilled to have joined those of you who jump wingsuits. I even know the secret handshake now ... too cute! Who knows where this might lead ... maybe I can even get Chuck Blue to party with me and get a hat.

I feel like the Phoenix who has risen from the snow.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

As you very well know...I just followed the leader this weekend:ph34r:. It was in flight with the plane on exit, then a 90 degree left, then another left heading southward back to the dz. I know we both had different instructors, so was your pattern similar to that?

Did you check out the aerial photos of the DZ beforehand? Generally I like to know what the view is going to look like and know what my outs are before I ever get into the plane.

Do you check out the view of the airport as you're going up to altitude in the plane?

I don't think the issue with wingsuits is so much the "spot". You can pretty much fly home from anywhere so long as the plane drops you within a decent range of the DZ. But you definately need to know how to find your LZ from the sky. Maybe it's just a skill you need to practice(start looking at the ground more, LOL).

The problem was that the airplane did a 'go around' for a tandem. When it was my turn to get out, I was directly over the hangar where I was supposed to end up. I jumped out of the airplane forgetting to pick up the arm wing grips. By the time I fixed that and looked at the ground, I was lost again and didn't know where to go. I've been trying to figure out what I should have done for days and cannot come up with a solution. Suggestions anyone?

One of the beauties of wingsuit flying is that you don't have to be in any hurry to get out of the plane, because you have the range to make it back from quite far away. So stick you head out the door and look at the ground, imagine the line that the plane is running in on - that's the first leg of your flight plan. Then imagine that line doing a 90 and then 90 again back towards the dz - now go fly it!

When you got that 2nd pass you could have either just waited in the plane for a bit until you were deep like you were expecting, or you could have got out and flown straight up the line of flight for longer. See attached pic.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Not to be rough, but some serious criticism. If at 300 jumps you still cannot spot and are scared to do so, maybe you should have other priorities other than wingsuit flight. Maybe I misunderstood what you said, but I am pretty sure I didn't.

What do you plan on doing one day when you are first out and there isn't a magic green light from the pilot looking at the GPS?

Just something to consider.:S

Anyone have any experience in jumping a wingsuit in the cold?

Hello my fellow Orange-ite. I used to jump my WS at Orange, even when it was cold when I lived up there. Invest in some long underwear;) Congrats BTW on making your way into the realms of nylon crack.

I've been trying to figure out what I should have done for days and cannot come up with a solution. Suggestions anyone?

Don't fret too much, flight plans can be confusing at first for some. One of the things you are going to have to work on is getting used to sticking your head out of the door and looking down for the DZ/landing area BEFORE leaving the aircraft. Your instructor should of covered it on the ground with you and you should of done it before you left the aircraft and that is once you were in the door, he should of pointed out the landing area/DZ and you should of shook your head that you saw what he was pointing at. This is one of those small but very important steps that I've seen even experienced WS pilots make. Getting used to looking first is going to be important for you since the jump run at Orange can have you getting out over the city of Orange if the winds are high at altitude. Conversly, you could also find yourself well North of the DZ and geting out over a nondescript looking piece of farm land that surrouds that area but you have the lake to look for;). Which leads me into the next subject of landmarks. No matter where you go, there are going to be significant landmarks that are dicernable from altitude that can quickly help orientate you to where the DZ is. They can be housing developments, major roads ,mountain ranges or even where the sun is in the sky in relation to the DZ at certain times of the day since we know it moves East to West.

Idealy, WS should fly a series of 90 degree turns once they leave the aircraft. There are some variations to this but for now concentrate on flying 90's off of the line of flight and back to the DZ. Orange can be a bit tricky to find depending on the time of the year but again, look for landmarks like the lake or the baseball field and don't forget about the roads. I have an old GPS plot showing one of the jump runs from Orange and my flight back to the DZ, if I can find it I will post it for you.So don't beat yourself up, you'll get better at figuring out where you are at in the sky before you leave the aircraft,even while you're climbing to altitude, once you get a few more flights under your belt. Again, Congrats on getting your wings:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I really hope this is a troll, but just in case it's not...
I have to voice agreement with wildcard451.

If you cannot spot, cannot learn to spot and get freaked out by looking at the ground you really should reconsider wingsuit flying but also skydiving in general.

It is just a matter of time before you get yourself and other people into serious danger. The big blue sky will save your ass quite a bit but one day your luck will run out.

Sorry to be the bad guy, but people like you really scare me. If you don't look out the door you have no idea where you are, then you have no idea if you are flying along jump run or not. Go talk to an instructor at your DZ and get it figured out.

One of the hardest things for me was the flight plan. I didn't think I would ever get my 'A' license because I couldn't understand spotting ... excuse me while I breathe into a paper bag ... the mere mention of the word 'spotting' causes me to hyperventilate.

I'm a belly flyer and have made it a point not to be the one spotting on a load. In fact, I try to exit from inside the airplane so I don't have to look at the ground. When I'm doing my RW, I never look at the ground until I'm under canopy at about 2,300 feet.

You shouldn't get intimidated by spotting. Determining the proper spot is a ground skill. You need an aerial photo of the drop zone and surrounding area, and a winds aloft report. It is also a very good idea to know the scale of the photo. For example, if you know the runway is 1/2 mile long, then one "runway length" equals 1/2 mile anywhere in your aerial photo.

If you know what the winds aloft are, your freefall/wingsuit descent rate, and your descent rate under canopy, you can fairly easily estimate the freefall drift the winds will cause as you pass through the various altitudes.

You also need to have a general idea of what kind of glide ratio to expect from your canopy and/or wingsuit. These will have an effect on optimum deployment location.

Let's say I am doing a solo belly fly jump. I plan on deploying at 4K feet, expecting to be open by about 3500 feet. I want to enter the landing pattern at 1000 feet. That means I will be under canopy for about 2500 feet, or about 2.5 minutes.

I determine how much horizontal distance my canopy will cover in 2500 feet, with no winds. Then I determine how much wind drift I will experience in 2.5 minutes. I use either the 3000 ft. winds aloft, the ground winds, or a combination if they are significantly different. I add the "gliding distance" of my canopy to the drift from the winds, and that gives me the desirable distance upwind from the traffic pattern I would like to deploy at.

I make note of that location. Then I determine how much drift I am going to experience in freefall. The winds aloft report comes in 3000 ft increments. Let's assume a 12K ft exit. I multiply the wind speed at 12000 ft by 17 seconds, to which I add the wind speed at 9000 ft multiplied by 17, to which I add the wind speed at 6000 ft multiplied by 17 seconds. This tells me how far upwind of my optimum deployment location I want exit the plane.

If you were flying a wingsuit instead of belly flying, you would simply add the expected horizontal distance covered by your wingsuit (in zero winds) to the amount of distance you expect to cover do to freefall drift.

Once you know where the spot is, you just have to communicate this to the pilot, and wait for it at exit time. This is where GPS is handy. If you know where the spot is, you can program this point into the GPS unit. Unfortunately, without knowing where the spot is, GPS is next to worthless. It tells you where you are, and even where you are headed, but it doesn't know where you need to be unless you give it this information.

Please take the time to learn to spot, and practice this skill on the ground. It is not at all unheard of in this sport for a bad spot to set off a chain of events which ultimately results in injury or death.

Blue skies, and welcome to the wonderful world of Narcotic Nylon. :)

For Great Deals on Gear