vdschoor

Which suit should I get...

I can't wait any longer, I've been doing a bunch of birdman jumps on suits that I borrowed from people, and now I need my own.

I'm torn between two suits.. the new firebird (from what I've read is a GTI on steroids) or the S3 (which I've been flying for the last 30 or so jumps)

Any advice from more experienced flyers would be very welcome

Iwan

You need to explain what you intend to do with it .. jump it all the time? Flocking? Push hard for numbers? etc, etc, etc ...

Ok, I'm not a numbers guy, I don't care that other people can go 20mph vertical (although that is insanely cool!!) I'm all about flying with others, and filming / taking pictures of others flying together...

I wont be jumping it all the time, there's too much fun in all the disciplines of skydiving to just focus on one..

Iwan

Between these 2 suits your better choice would likely be the Firebird since it's targeted as more versatile and easier to fly. If you're taking pics you may find it easier to back fly than a S3 or S3S. Body type is also a factor .. if you're skin and bones you don't need a big suit to flock. On the other hand, you're obviously capable of flying an S3 if you want to.

At this point though I haven't had a chance to jump a Firebird, so take my input with a grain of salt. Definitely get yourself a demo and see how you like it before you buy.

Of course there are a number of other options out there ... jump as many as you can and pick your favorite or do like me and just keep buying new suits. I'm hooked.

My $0.02 .. good luck!

Scott

I think the S3 is a great all around suit. You can kick out some pretty slow fall rates if you want or fly fast. The suit is kind of demanding on your arms but it gives you a very versatile fall rate range. It may not be able to keep up with the V-1’s or S3S as far as forward drive but they are pretty great.
Kirk

You're leaving out a lot of choices, some very exciting.. check out the GS1!

Kevin

Ok, how does the GS1 compare to the S3 (I don't know if you've flown the firebird yet..)

From what people have told me, I'd be off best with the S3 / S3S for my body type and weight..

People are voting for the Firebird though.. choices choices...

The GS1 is well ..............
it looks really cool........
has good colors.........
interchangeable wings.......
oh yeah no one in the US has had a chance to fly one or even see one in the flesh so there can not be a comparison....yet

I can let you know in a few weeks though

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

I'd go with the S3S over the normal S3.
Even though it's advertised as a more high range suit then the normal S3, it flies easyer IMHO and the hard ribs make it quite suitable for less-optimal body postures and backflying (no flapping of the fabric due to the hard ribs)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Ok, how does the GS1 compare to the S3 (I don't know if you've flown the firebird yet..)

I have an S3 and a Sugarglider. They are very different suits but I personally prefer the SG. I get better glide ratios and longer flight times. I find it more difficult to flock than the S3 but then I have more S3 jumps.

The S3 is definitely a lot less physically demanding to fly than the SG. So if you think you may want to do lots of wingsuit jumps in 1 day, you should factor that into the equation.

Hope that helps,

Simon

The S3 is definitely a lot less physically demanding to fly than the SG.

Really? I've flown both, although not much (1 SG jump, 4 S3 jumps), and I found the SG to have almost no pressure, while the S3 was, well, an S3.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

I think vdschoor needs an S3 if it is between the GTI and the S3. He is not lean and tall(I think we tried to get you to do camera for our wingsuit balloon jumps at Eloy that did not happen) and looks like he jumps with a lot of cameras.

You may need the S3 for the range.

Kris.

I think vdschoor needs an S3 if it is between the GTI and the S3. He is not lean and tall(I think we tried to get you to do camera for our wingsuit balloon jumps at Eloy that did not happen) and looks like he jumps with a lot of cameras.

Kris.

Kris, are you calling me fat and tall? :P

You are right.. I'm a pretty big guy and I jump with a lot of crap on my helmet (sometimes)
I'm going for the S3-S B|

Being measured tonight.. and the order is going in..

Kris.

That'd be my vote, now that you've worn out my S3!

:P

Kris, are you calling me fat and tall? :P

You are right.. I'm a pretty big guy and I jump with a lot of crap on my helmet (sometimes)
I'm going for the S3-S B|

Being measured tonight.. and the order is going in..

Hell guy have you looked or talked to anyone with a V-1. Also the Phantom and Acro are now shipping as well. Lots of choices out there. I say give em all a try. ;)

Shipping start is a few weeks away, but production started this week. (according to the latest news on here) And it seems like the days are just dragging by like molasses. Maybe it's kinda like the watched pot never boils thing (or takes longer to boil).
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Hey Ted,

Really? I've flown both, although not much (1 SG jump, 4 S3 jumps), and I found the SG to have almost no pressure, while the S3 was, well, an S3.

I found that to get the max performance (vertical high 30's low 40's) out of the SG uses lots of body strength (legs as well as arms/shoulders).

The GS1 may be less physically demaning due to the changes in design, but then I havnt flown one.

A more relaxed position is possible but then speed slows down and fallrate picks up.

I know this stuff is all relative but I have had no problem doing 5 jumps in an afternoon in my S3 but 2 maxed out SG's is my current limit. Of course the longer flight times in the SG probably contribute to this but maybe I just need to get in the gym more.

Simon

That's wild. I averaged 40 mph in the Sugarglider when I jumped it, and felt almost no physical strain. Lying on my back and holding my arms up a couple inches is more stressful. My first jump with the S3, by the time I got to 5000 ft, I was literally worried whether I'd have enough strength to get a good toss on my PC.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

>My first jump with the S3, by the time I got to 5000 ft, I was literally worried whether I'd have enough strength to get a good toss on my PC.

dude, you seriously need to start working out !!!!!!!!!!!!!
:ph34r:
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

My first jump with the S3, by the time I got to 5000 ft, I was literally worried whether I'd have enough strength to get a good toss on my PC.

dude, you seriously need to start working out !!!!!!!!!!!!!
:ph34r:

Or spend more time surfing dirty websites....my right hand never fails on pull-time...:P:S
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?