Tonto

Market share

So... People are leaving, and argueing, and disagreeing.

I wonder what market share the different manufacturers hold on this site.

If you have multiple suits from different manufacturers, please choose which one you want to align with. This is more about people to me than about suits.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

So... People are leaving, and argueing, and disagreeing.

I wonder what market share the different manufacturers hold on this site.

If you have multiple suits from different manufacturers, please choose which one you want to align with. This is more about people to me than about suits.

t

According to the poll we've had running for a while at flybirdman.com found here it is pretty obvious birdman is #1 with phoenix fly trailing behind....

Is this a joke? Who says we have to "align" with one? :S

I have two BM suits and am getting my BMI this weekend. But I may just buy a PF suit one day (I'd have a V1 now if I was made of money) and I would like to get my PFI someday too.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Is this a joke? Who says we have to "align" with one?

I never said you have to.

I said "please choose which one you want to."

Some people follow brand names. Is there really a difference between "Nike" and "Adidas"? What company philosophy inspires you?

I have no doubt that we are all fans of winged human flight.

It's rare though, among supporters of any kind to have no allegence to a team or a brand.

I'm a Formula 1 fan, and a Ferrari fan, and a Bridgestone fan.
I like computers, and I favour AMD over Intel.
I love to skydive, but choose Mirage and PD over other manufacturers.
I prefer my Neptune to my GF's Pro Track.
I like Oakley more than Ray Ban, and Frosties in the morning more than Weetabix, and I like Nokia more than Erikson.

If you don't wish to choose, that's OK too, but with your tone, and your :S "crazy" it looks like you're keener on conflict than I am.

Just vote, or don't vote. Whatever you prefer.

t

Nope, I'm definitely not keen on conflict, sorry if I came off that way.

I'm just not typical in that I've never understood brand loyalty. Not that I won't support a product I love (my BM suits rock!), but I won't exclude other possibilities because one is good. My last PC was AMD. My current one is Intel. I'm thinking about building another AMD soon. It's always based on what best meets my needs (economic and technical) at the moment. They've all worked great for me.

I just don't want to see this turn into Ford vs Chevy. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I think the "Low drag = high speed" is what I love, so I'm more easily swayed to BM and PF. I also like the "suit + wings" feel over the "climb into the ziplock bag" feel, but I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Sugarglider/GS1 to see how fast I can make it go.

My needs are pretty constant, and have been for a while now. It's been over 2 decades since I settled on 9 cell canopies, and over 13 years that I've been on 9 cell ZP Elipticals. I'm a computer gamer, so AMD will always win over Intel. If I were buying servers, that would change. In the 11 years I've been using a mobile phone, I've always used Nokia. I could figure it out without the manual, and have never needed to learn to use another phone, even though 3G, SMS, GPRS, Blue Tooth, Video, Games etc have all sneaked in there in the past few years.

We all have reasons why we finally choose to part with our money in return for a product, whether that product is a can of soda or a car. This makes some companies work, and others fail, or some to profit more than others. It doesn't mean that biggest is best, or that you've sold your soul.

I do respect Birdman for setting up a training program though, but that is probably because as a former SL and Tandem Instructor, and a current AFF Instructor and BMI, I know where this sport would be without it's instructors.

t

Matt, I'm with you.
I have a GTI and a V1. They sit side by side in my trailer and don't fight. Sometimes I see them looking at each other, but that's just a healthy sibling rivalry.

For the record: My loyalty is with gravity! I'm not even loyal to Skydiving;) Some nights I sneak out and jump off of stuff - no plane:)Come to think of it, I'm not even loyal to Wingsuits. It feels weird but sometimes I jump out of a plane with no wings.

I once jumped a wingsuit made by Tony, just to see if it would fly.

I'm gonna keep exploring. If it looks resonable, I'll jump it. I dare say, the best wingsuit, isn't made yet. It isn't even thought of yet. But it won't be thought of by someone with a closed mind.

~
Fear is the thief of dreams...

Some nights I sneak out and jump off of stuff - no plane:)

You're a wild man, Bill. :D I'm starting to feel closer to BASE myself. In terms of skills/readiness at least. There's still that whole part where the $$ is necessary for a rig, but I guess that's not a lot compared to skyjumping. Still not gonna rush it yet. But soon. B|

How do you like your V1?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Feel the power of the dark side...

And to tie that in: I think that you'd see noticeably different poll results if you were able to segment the poll geographically, or by discipline (i.e. airplane skyjumping or fixed low object parachuting). I've noticed a lot of regional preference (Africans with SG's, French with S-Fly, Americans with BM, etc), as well as discipline preferences (more BASE jumpers with Phoenix Fly stuff, more skydivers with BM).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Speaking of regional differences, do you think there's a reason that dispite dominating the skydiving equipment scene, there is no American Wingsuit?

BM is European, as are Matter and S-Fly (Fly your body) and the Sugarglider is African, so nothing from the US.

Why do you think that is?

t

What a sad post, as a moderator I am surprised your posting this since without doubt it will cause disharmony.

I couldnt care less which suit I am jumping all the people making them I have been great people, and if it enables me to enjoy the evolution and progression of human flight all the better.

Why should you really care what the market share is?
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

What a sad post, as a moderator I am surprised your posting this since without doubt it will cause disharmony.

I'm not a moderator in this forum, and I'm entitled to ask any questions within the rules of the site. You, in turn, are entitled to answer, or not answer, as you prefer.

t

Hi-jacking the thread!

Evil laughter!

How many wingsuits has Birdman Inc. sold?

How many sold by Fly Your Body?

How many sold by Matter?

How many sold by Phoenix?

How many Sugar Gliders sold?

etc.?

Why no American wing suit manufacturers?

Why no Canadian wingsuit manufacturers?
I am too f...ing busy fixing other people's toys.

Matt, the V1 is sick! I'm very happy with my choice of progression. 150 jumps on GTI, practice flocking and control with barrel rolls, flat spins (some on my back:)
I consider different wingsuits for different disciplines or purposes. Just like I wouldn't video a tandem in my free fly suit, because my camera wings are more suited for the job.

I never consider suit manufacturers when deciding which suit to wear.

Picture a free flyer holding 2 suits thinking, "Hmm, how will this descision effect market share for Tony Suits.":ph34r: Anyone that does that, is sponsored:)

~
Fear is the thief of dreams...

:D

Hi-Jacking is OK.

After being accused of stirring decent, I thought about this a little.
If you were an organiser at a boogie, and wanted to know what to cater for, surely this poll has indicated a clear preference for low drag = high lift suits?

I've been lucky with my suits, I think. I have a little over a hundred
on my S3, my Classic has had very rough treatment but is still flying. I'm very keen to see how the GS1/Sugarglider holds up.

t

Picture a free flyer holding 2 suits thinking, "Hmm, how will this descision effect market share for Tony Suits.":ph34r: Anyone that does that, is sponsored:)

I was gonna say the exact same thing... unless I'm sponsored (and getting flow from the sponsoring brand), I don't care what brand I'm flying! :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

How many wingsuits has Birdman Inc. sold?

The highest serial numbers on the stock suits for sale on the website are around 1900, so there's a minimum for you, at least.

How many sold by Phoenix?

My V1 is number 145, and it was manufactured in april, so figure around 40 vampires a month for them.

Why no Canadian wingsuit manufacturers?

Canadia? Where's that?
:D

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

Speaking of regional differences, do you think there's a reason that dispite dominating the skydiving equipment scene, there is no American Wingsuit?

\
I'd guess that the reason is that BM was so long based in the USA.

I know that Da Kine made a prototype wingsuit or two in Hawaii, as well, perhaps 5 years ago.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com