ikenever

What's in a wingsuit?

After 3 weeks of making a pattern, 3 weeks to cut the pieces and 3 weeks to assemble, (after work hobby time) it will be my first and last self made suit. I read a post one day that theres not much to a suit and why do they cost so much? Well... for a do it your self-er, 9 weeks and 60+ pieces I'll stick with the pros from now on. I have purchased a GTI, S3 and have a V-1 on it's way. I will gladly pay the price regardless of it's cost. The manufactures earn every dime and now I speak with experience. I am sick of sewing!!! But... the suit was worth the challenge. I didn't reinvent anything. Just borrowed my favorite features from each of my purchased suits. I do think I may have made some improvements on pressurized wings. In flight the wings feel very rigid. The only difference is that I used a 2 fabric type rib in each of the 3 wings. The leading edge to half way of each rib is mesh transitioned to balloon fabric. There are 3 stiffener's in each arm wing and 3 in the 3 middle ribs for the tail wing. Each rib has diagonal reinforcement to eliminate warp. I have to admit that it flies well with little to no arm or leg strain.

Wow BJ, that's really in impressive accomplishment. You should be justifiably proud of your work. Anyone who builds a canopy, wingsuit or rig from scratch has my sincere admiration. Cool that it flies well, how does it compare to a Vampire or S-3?
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Well no. I lied. I think I pulled that number out of the air. I went over the whole thing and realized there are 60 pieces in one wing only. (counting the cable tabs) With 3 wings that means 180 pieces. Once I took inventory on each single piece large or small I counted 257 pieces. This includes fabric (balloon zp & mesh) zippers, snaps, stiffeners, nylon binding or reinforcement tapes, lycra, velcro, cables, cable loops and bootie soles. As far as a name goes, I guess I could call it a mutt! (mixed breed) V-1S3GTI

Having a rigging background did help. Been rigging since 1978. Have suit making experience also. (about 25) The pattern took about 45 hours to produce. The pieces were cut in 10 hours and assembly took 60 hours. It took 12 seconds to put the pattern in the garbage can after I was finished.

(Maybe 11 seconds)