unclecharlie109

V-1 Flight Review

I flew the Vampire V-1 this weekend. I was totally blown away. The suit is simply awesome. The first thing I said to Robert when I landed was "When will mine be ready?!" :D

Whilst attaching the suit to my rig I began to notice all the great new design features that Robert has incorporated. Not just the performance increasing stuff but also the attention to detail that makes the suit more comfortable to wear and use. For example:

- booties are made from high grade leather (same stuff they use for Porsche seats!), so will be long lasting and provide better grip
- cut away handles are protected by a small cover with a stiffener inside, keeping the handle in place and making stowing the leg wing after deployment much easier
- rear inside edge of the booties has this cool grippy rubber cuff material that keeps the bootie in place.
- the adjustable swoop cord is sweet
- etc

As you would expect the suit is extremely well made using durable high grade materials.

I put the suit on and immediately noted the wider leg stance. The wing tip grippers are simply great, the wrist position feels so natural (not uncomfortable like the S3). The inside of the arm wing is padded so is super comfortable.

On the first flight my exit was not very good but I just focused on maximising my horizontal speed and trying to get the suit flying towards max glide to see what it could do. I chipped a little as I got used to the new body position. The arm wing grippers are surprisingly sensitive, giving you a lot of control over the pitch angle - which feels awesome. After about 20 seconds I got sorted and started flying smooth and fast. The suit flies at quite a low pitch angle and like a missile! B|

Even though it was my first flight I flew further and opened higher than I have ever done with my S3! :)
On the second flight we made a 2 way, I didn't see Robert after the exit and figured he was way higher and ahead of me, I carried on playing with the my body position, concentrating on feeling the lift and air flow over the suit. Towards the end of the flight I noticed something out of the corner of my eye, it was Robert 5m on my right with a huge smile on his face. He tweaked his position and immediately accelerated up and away from me B|

Arm pressure - not an issue, about the same as S3 but feels easier due to comfortable wrist & gripper position. The leg wing pressure felt slightly more than S3 but not by a great deal.

I have some video of the suit in action that I will post on skydivingmovies.com later today.

I'm happy to answer specific questions people have; post, PM or email.

Can't wait for my suit to arrive, but I know it is going to be worth the wait! ;)

Long flights,

J

also what do you attribute the bad exit to .

I did a head low exit, mostly due to opening the leg wing too early. Robert gave me some tips on how to do the "hip transfer" exit - more on this soon.

Was your opening procedures/sequence any different than your S3 ?

Deployment was exactly the same as on my S3, the relative wind blows the wingtip grippers out the way giving you easy access to your BOC or leg pouch.

James I have a couple of questions for you.

Is the Dacron portion of the suit thick and stiff or does it fall somewhere in between the matter type paraglider ZP and BMs balloon ZP?

The arm leading edge padding. Does it extend forward and make a profile on the leading edge or just smooth over the contours of the muscle in the human arm?

Did you experience the "sponson walk" or rocking back and forth when maxing it out?

So did you use the leg mount or do you use BOC??? How was the reach, you say the RW blew the wing grippers out of the way enough for BOC or leg mount. Just curious how they pull, I know Robi likes to use the leg mount.
Also, the hip transfer method, please more more :)
I've tweaked my exit and it is much different from what you are used to seeing in most of the videos, just curious.....I found that launching out, up and with everything folded back and legs up in a nice arch, then as I come close to parallel with the ground...spread arms...then leg wing and go....when it worked I was perfectly pitched for max flight as I exposed my wings, no rocking, just a smoothe acceleration....however this negates the first couple of seconds somewhat as I'm building up speed for this move and not flying the suit right off the exit...a technique I'd imagine is even more delicate with a V1.....
can't wait for mine to come!
Thanks for the great info!!
Blair

Hey Vectorboy,

Is the Dacron portion of the suit thick and stiff or does it fall somewhere in between the matter type paraglider ZP and BMs balloon ZP?

The dacron is only a couple of mm thick but is backed with foam padding. It is thicker than the MTR ZP and BM ZP. It is not stiff but has enough "body" to form a nice smooth leading edge.

Does it extend forward and make a profile on the leading edge

No it doesn't extend forward (that will be on the V-2... just kidding :P)

Did you experience the "sponson walk" or rocking back and forth when maxing it out?

I found the suit rock solid once I got used to the new position. BUT the oscilation thing varies pilot to pilot. It depends on your maxed out body position and where you position your centre of lift vs center of weight.

So did you use the leg mount or do you use BOC??? How was the reach, you say the RW blew the wing grippers out of the way enough for BOC or leg mount. Just curious how they pull, I know Robi likes to use the leg mount.

I was trying to pre-empt a question. I also use leg pouch but wanted to confirm that BOC is fine with the V-1 also. As I have written before, the arm wing is shorter at the torso, making BOC access even easier than on S3.

Also, the hip transfer method, please more more

I am working on some stuff to post on this at the moment. Once I have the draft I'll send it to you.

J

I found the suit rock solid once I got used to the new position.

Could you explain how the position is any different to the S3?

I found from jumping the MTR2 and the S Fly, they have totaly different arm extention with the hands facing the ground and the elblow more locked forward.

So I'm curious as to why the body position change?

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Could you explain how the position is any different to the S3?

The position is similar but here are the specific differences I noticed:

-leg stance is a couple of inches wider than S3 and I felt that I was applying more pressure with my lower leg to fully inflate the suit.

-hand and wrist position, the new grippers totally change the feel and way you fly the armwing!

-arm position, I was holding the trailing edge quite loose to allow the arm wing to inflate in the correct 3D form. The chord line of the arm wing is angled compared to your torso so your hand / forearm is slightly higher than your shoudler.(looking at your body from the side "in flight").

-upper torso, I found bending my upper torso forward to be head low compared to the leg wing really helped to bring on the speed (not a de-arch or a "butt-up")

-face position, big smile as you fly up and away from the flock ;)

The position is similar but here are the specific differences I noticed:

-leg stance is a couple of inches wider than S3 and I felt that I was applying more pressure with my lower leg to fully inflate the suit.

The leg position on the S3 is wider then the leg wing on the S1, but I didn't think it changed the body position except to spread the legs abit more, maybe 4"?

-hand and wrist position, the new grippers totally change the feel and way you fly the armwing!

I attached a pic of the arm position and dont see to see any change, except the gripper drops down more?

-arm position, I was holding the trailing edge quite loose to allow the arm wing to inflate in the correct 3D form. The chord line of the arm wing is angled compared to your torso so your hand / forearm is slightly higher than your shoudler.(looking at your body from the side "in flight").

Would this be able to be adjusted by simply holding the grip tighter and bringing the arm down level or below the torso as your able to do on the S3?

-upper torso, I found bending my upper torso forward to be head low compared to the leg wing really helped to bring on the speed (not a de-arch or a "butt-up")

How can this be anything but a de-arched position or having you butt the highest point in relation to your flight angle?

-face position, big smile as you fly up and away from the flock ;)

As it should be during ANY wingsuit flight! ;)

I hope Robert gets some demo out to fly. :)

Ed

but I didn't think it changed the body position except to spread the legs abit more, maybe 4"?

I'm sorry I thought a wider leg stance was a difference in body position (?)

I attached a pic of the arm position and dont see to see any change, except the gripper drops down more?

Look at the image I attached, it is a lot clearer.
The wing tip gripper is infact a winglet that attachs to the arm wing. The angle of your wrist & hand is much more comfortable and doesn't cut off the circulation to your hand on a long flight.

Would this be able to be adjusted by simply holding the grip tighter and bringing the arm down level or below the torso as your able to do on the S3?

The S3 has the arm wing chord in line with the torso and the ribs and bottom skin were not designed in a refined complex 3D aerofoil like the V-1, so no.

How can this be anything but a de-arched position or having you butt the highest point in relation to your flight angle?

You are right to question this description.

For me de-arch implies bending the spine. The spine remains straight and the bend is at the hips. To just say push your butt-up is also not correct.

If I have time I'll make some diagrams up to clarify what I mean.

As it should be during ANY wingsuit flight! ;)

You could also phrase it as:

-face position, big smile as you fly up and away from all the birds in the flock:P

I will definitely agree that the gripper angle would certainly relieve much of the wrist fatigue I get on my S3. I think I will mod my S3 in this manner and tell you what I think!

Oddly, there was a guy jumping a pretty old classic at the bigways in Deland recently (Dingo? Is that right, Ed?). He had his classic wings modded with an addition which added a bit of wing and vertical grippers, just like on an S3; smart thinking.

Very cool, but it doesn't come in the same colors as my S3.:P

Maybe after they get off the ground they'll have more colors, but with the increased performance Im sure most people won't mind

ramon
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

as you fly up and away from all the birds in the flock.

The proof is in the pilot. ;)

The wing tip grippers do look confortable for those that have grip fatigue. Thanks for the closer look at it. :)
No worries on making the diagram though, I get what you mean......I think. :P

Be safe
Ed

Oddly, there was a guy jumping a pretty old classic at the bigways in Deland recently (Dingo? Is that right, Ed?). He had his classic wings modded with an addition which added a bit of wing and vertical grippers, just like on an S3; smart thinking.

Your right Chuck.

A couple months after I got my Skyflyer 1, and before the S3 came out, I added wing tip grippers to mainly fly on my back, since the wings lost pressure when inverted. It also increased the performance, so I suggested to alot of people here at the DZ I jump at that they should add these extentions or grippers to the Classics, GTI's or S1's they fly.
I suggested they have Pete Swan do the mods I suggested and they work great.
There was a very noticable increase in the performance of thier suits also. :)

Be safe
Ed

I saw an extension added to the leg wing of a S1 during the Birdman Skills camp and boogie in Eloy effectively making it as wide as a S3. The user noticed an improvment in performance as well.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I saw an extension added to the leg wing of a S1 during the Birdman Skills camp and boogie in Eloy effectively making it as wide as a S3. The user noticed an improvment in performance as well.

Scott

Was this just a non inflatable rib added?
Or was it modified into the actual wing section so it inflated?
If so, that seems like a hell of alot of work to do the mod.

Ed

Was this just a non inflatable rib added?
Or was it modified into the actual wing section so it inflated?
If so, that seems like a hell of alot of work to do the mod.

The MOD effectively ended up being the center most cell on the leg wing. As far as I know it also inflates. The owner is greybeard so maybe he could elaborate some more on it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING