kevin922

Robert Pecnik leaves Birdman, starts Phoenix Fly

So what's going to happen to Birdman? Was Robi soley responsible for R&D? Who will do it now? Who's qualified to do it? Who owns the intellectual property rights to projects Robi was working whilst at Birdman? Why did he leave?

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Nothing has changed at the factory other than Robert leaving and starting his own business. Jari will continue to design as he has done since Birdmans inception as well maintain all intellectual rights. In fact, another Birdman factory has been set up to deal strictly with EU sales and stream line the process so the European customer receives his/her suit in a shorter time than they have in the past. Growth is a catalyst to change and Robert has decided to do his own thing seperate from Birdman at this time. Life goes on:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Nothing has changed at the factory other than Robert leaving and starting his own business. Jari will continue to design as he has done since Birdmans inception as well maintain all intellectual rights. In fact, another Birdman factory has been set up to deal strictly with EU sales and stream line the process so the European customer receives his/her suit in a shorter time than they have in the past. Growth is a catalyst to change and Robert has decided to do his own thing seperate from Birdman at this time. Life goes on:)

Well said.
The NEW wingsuit era has only just started.
With so many people now enjoying the thrill of flying a wingsuit, the market will I'm sure see MANY more designs and styles of suits.
For those that have the time and put forth the effort to design and market their stlye of wingsuit, I wish them success, as it's not an easy thing to do.
I'm sure what Jari or Robert continues to produce will be great suits.

-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Even though, Robert and Jari have years of history together, I'm sure this change will be good for both of them. One thing certain about life is change. It's awesome to see wingsuit flying continue to move forward with each year.

BirdMan is still full speed ahead from what Jari has told me. I've never met anyone with so many designs and ideas in his head (as Jari) - it's a gift but I wonder how that boy sleeps at night!

:)

I've never met anyone with so many designs and ideas in his head (as Jari) - it's a gift but I wonder how that boy sleeps at night!

Totes. Robi designs and engineers some amazing stuff, but people seem to have forgotten that Jari designs, as well. Remember that they put these first suits out together. :)
Edit: I dropped the word "these" -- not to imply that "these" refers to the suits in the pic.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Robi designs and engineers some amazing stuff, but people seem to have forgotten that Jari designs these, as well. Remember that they put these first suits out together. ]

Hi ManBird,

It is not true! These facts were available on previous versions of BM Web-site but now they seems to be forgotten.

Robert made his first Wingsuit in November 1998 in Croatia completely alone. He tested his first WS himself in Croatia where he made 5 jumps and additional 5 with the second WS prototype. Than he made three prototypes, similar to nowadays Classic I, which he brought in March 1999 to Florida where Jari and Irene Hesling made there first WS jumps.
Picture you are talking about was taken 8.5.1999. at well known place. WS you can see on the pictures are exactly those suits made by Robert and brought to Florida in March 1999 with small adjustment for BASE purposes. Shortly after that, production of BM suits started in Slovenia.

OK, everyone, calm down. I'm not trying discredit anyone (and that really shouldn't be construed from my post). They put the first suit out together. That is, they released it. Robi is the designer and engineer, for sure, but it takes more than just design to get a suit on the market. I'm just saying that the Jari does, in fact, have his own design ideas and that the company is not left and dry without Robi.

After flying, what, 1400 times, -- I'd imagine that one knows a bit about what they do and don't want in a suit. I'd imagine that in working together for so long, these two have picked up each other's strengths and will be able to use them to effectively run their respective operations.

Click

It's all good ManBird ... and Sirob

We were there when Birdman came publicly to the World Freefall Convention in 1999. Robert was distinctly introduced as "the creator/designer", and Jari was there to market and also represent the Wings container. Our friend, Max Dereta, was there to support his European friends, so we hung out, shot video & took pictures. We know of conversations wingsuit enthusiasts had with Robert before that and were ready to check it out firsthand. It was obvious instantaneously that Jari was an extraordinary person and a pioneer.

Many people have designed versions . . . why wouldn't Jari? It seems that Jari would be compelled to further develop and modify the suit as he's tested it repeatedly.

We will certainly support both individuals and wish them the best in their endeavors.

The Girls
TNT Systems / The AirZone

AirZoneXtreme better worded what I was trying to say. And I feel dumb -- didn't know that was you, Boris ("sirob", duh), and you probably didn't know it was me (Steve -- web guy). Just a little miscommunication, that's all.

Click

In fact, another Birdman factory has been set up to deal strictly with EU sales and stream line the process so the European customer receives his/her suit in a shorter time than they have in the past.

I've never understood this one, if the factory is in Slovinia why would it take longer for the euro customers to get their stuff? Is the second factory going to be closer domestically and have the existing factory focus on the euro orders?

if the factory is in Slovinia why would it take longer for the euro customers to get their stuff?

Because the factory doesn't ship directly to the customer. Now there is an established means to get the EU peeps their suits without having to play around the world in 80 days.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Just had lunch w Jari. He has a new EU distribution center in the works right now. He just came back from a meeting over there. Shipping within the US is as easy as it gets. Unfortunately, it's not the same in the EU. There are a bunch of hoops to jump through. But, sounds like BM is getting close to conquering that one.

Yeah, of course, no one would ever take credit away from Robi! That was not the point of the discussion at all.

~Kim~

P.S. Sirob (Boris) is Boris Pecnik, one of Robert's brothers.