geronimo

Soft Links and Excess Brake Line Stowage

There are two manufacturers of soft links:

Performance Designs - Slinks
Precision Aerodynamics - Wrap-It Links

Slinks have a binding tape type tab and Wrap-It Links have a metal ring tab.

There is a potential snag problem with both of these links.

If the tab sits outside of the risers and the excess brake line is stowed such that the loop of brake line could wrap the tab, then the brake line may catch the tab as the brake line is being unstowed.

This may result in a hung toggle. You may or may not be able to clear this in real time. There may be significant tension from the brake line or a twist in the snag around the tab that may make it impossible to clear.

A possible solution is to tack the tab down inside the riser. The tack should be a sandwich with both sides of the riser. The tack should allow for stretch of the risers during deployment. [Goldilocks: not to tight, not too loose, but 'just right'] A common technique of tacking the tab to only one side of the riser may or may not prevent the snag problem completely.

The probability of a snag happening strongly depends upon how and where you stow the excess brake line.

Please contact PD or Precision if you have further questions.

I do not use soft links and am not a rigger. I am passing this info on because it might be of use to some jumpers.

If this does happen to you, remember that you should be under the canopy you will land by your black line altitude (~1500 feet - depends on experience). You should be able to turn right, turn left and flare. If you cannot do this under your main, then execute a cutaway-pull reserve emergency procedure.
---
I have a dream that my posts will one day will not be judged by the color of the fonts or settings in a Profile but by the content.
Geronimo_AT_http://ParachuteHistory.com

I do not recommend either stowing the excess steering line in the loop on the end of the riser or leaving ot free. Even if the Slink is tacked, the excess steering line can snag it.

The excess steering line should be stowed. An easy solution to risers that do not offer an easy way to stow the excess line is having a rigger sew a piece of binding tape (or two) to the front of the rear risers. The excess steering line gets stowed in the binding tape and easily slides out when the brakes are released. It is secure, low bulk, and doesn't hinder pulling the slider down.

RWS already does this and others may also do this as well.

Derek

This was sent out to a mailing list I am on:

If you have slinks on your canopy please discuss stowing excess brake
line with you rigger. A few incidents have occurred over the last month
at Pepperell that have been attributed to slinks and stowing excess
brake line. And I have been informed of other incidents at other DZs.

A preliminary report from California has indicated that Jan Beehner
Chandler's spinning malfunction was the result of excess steering line
wrapping around a tab of her soft link which was supposed to be secured
behind the riser.

We send our sincere and heartfelt condolences to all of Jan's family and
friends. We at Pepperell are all very saddened by the loss of a
wonderful person, great friend and talented skydiver. She will be
missed!!

Paula

Hmmm.... Here's an idea - How about making sure that the excess steering line is free and not hooked onto anything BEFORE releasing the toggles. It only takes a second per riser to check and see.

I've heard of one or two incidents that resulted in a cutaway and a similar incident where the excess line was wrapped around the risers or knotted up. It's simple to just CHECK that the excess is free before releasing the toggles. Once you release the toggles, if there is a problem, it will only get worse and may result in a cutaway.

For the record, I do not stow my excess brake line. Probably because there is no current place to stow it. I do make certain that the excess is at the bottom of my pack tray (and not wrapped around my risers) as I'm closing the riser covers.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

The excess line they are discussing is on rigs where the excess is passed through the opening on the end of the riser (the space where the Slink tab lives) then looped around the nose of the toggle before stowing the toggle. In this configuration, the excess line is pulled back through the opening once the toggle in unstowed, opeing the door for an entanglement. For this reason I am not fond of this stowing method, and always unstow brakes stowed this way (on borrowed gear) with some trepidation.

For the record, I too do not stow my excess, and I too will verify it is clear before unstowing the brakes.

Any comments from the riggers out there about the "pilgrim's hat" type Slink covers that you can get from PD, and how they affect anything? They have those little projections on each side - have there been any reports of anything hanging up on those?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

My post was not meant to be sarcastic at all, just pointing out the (to me anyway) appropriate solution.

I don't see anywhere in her posting that resembles what you just talked about " the excess is passed through the opening on the end of the riser (the space where the Slink tab lives) then looped around the nose of the toggle before stowing the toggle."

I didn't read any of that in her posting. Are you sure that is what she meant ? I thought she just meant leaving the excess flapping in the wind and not stowed anywhere and then having it get caught on the slink tab when the toggles were released.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

If the excess steering line is stowed through the riser, then it can snag on the slink tab or ring regardless if it is also stowed around the toggle tab. There is no way to ensure it is clear before releasing the brakes. The problem is that the loop must clear the tab as it passes through the riser. There is no way to predict if it will clear the tab or not. A brake setting that will snag does not look any different from one that won't.

Derek

Seems to me that stowing excess brake line through the end of the riser is not a good idea, period.

I agree. It is a bad idea and there are better ways.

I think the Slink slider stops represent another possible snag point if the excess steering line was stowed through the riser.

Derek

I have a piece of electrical tape that I put around the riser to keep the slink connector inside of it and prevents anything else from getting in there

Just a note. Using a tape with a mastic on it is bad juju. Consider using something like VetWrap or simply hand tacking the sides of the riser closed.

Mastic gets goopy in the heat and can actually add to your problem as dirt and the such will stick to the excess mastic and then start to abrade your riser and/or slinks...not to mention it's messy as hell.

Sticky stuff and Nylon don't go well together...at least not where skydiving equipment is concerned:o;)

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Good to know, I hadn't even thought about that. I just used electrical tape because my risers are black and the tape matches. :)

I'll replace it with some vet wrap. As for sticky stuff and nylon, well that's a whole separate thread... :):P
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I have Slinks; tack the tabs to the risers and stow my brakes thru the top of the risers.

Even if the Slinks are tacked, the excess steering line can still get snagged.

400+ jumps in this configuration has posed no problems.

How many bag locks in the last 400 jumps? My point being that because it has worked in the past is no guarantee that it would hang up on the next jump.

Edit: Added pic. red=steeringline, blue=tacking

Derek

What about the "wrap excess around the riser then stow over the toggle nipple" method? I have a lot of packjobs doing that for other people and that's how I have always packed for myself, but this past week one of our former packers did that for a guy on the DZ and that guy had a problem in which he pulled the toggle through the loop, creating a whicked knot resulting in a reserve ride (high performance main).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The excess line they are discussing is on rigs where the excess is passed through the opening on the end of the riser (the space where the Slink tab lives) then looped around the nose of the toggle before stowing the toggle.

How about stowing the excess through the loop of the slink itself (no slink cover of course) before looping around the nose of the toggle before stowing the toggle. I think this does not allow the failure mode described. It has worked for ~80 jumps for me.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The absolute smartest way you can stow your excess brakeline is in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendation.

I don't think the method you've suggested does that and I believe it does lend itself to the type of malfunction we're talking about in this thread when in conjuction with other conditions.

Follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

How about stowing the excess through the loop of the slink itself (no slink cover of course) before looping around the nose of the toggle before stowing the toggle. I think this does not allow the failure mode described. It has worked for ~80 jumps for me.

If the Slink isn't tacked it could still snag the tab. Even tacked, I would still be concerned. I could be accidently stowed through the Slink, then locked in place once the Slink is loaded on opening. It could also fall out easily, which can cause problems. Just a thought.

Derek

I think you sorta answered your own question. Stowing the excess on the front of the rear risers seems to be the least prone to problems way of stowing the excess. Unfortunately, nothing is bulletproof.:S

Derek

Hooknswoop is right on with this - NEVER stow the excess line over the top of the riser. Use only the method associated with that riser per the company...or have a rigger add a way to stow the line. I honestly believe this is one of those non-negotiable things when it comes to packing.

I know of a jumper that stowed the excess over the top of the riser - the toggle couldn't get a full release, so she pulled harder and stalled out her canopy and spun hard into the ground, she tried to fix it real time and it almost resulted in her death - she survived, but was severly broken.

I have lost count of how many companies manufacture re-useable soft links:

Parachutes de France - with metla rings
Performance Designs - with tape tabs
Precision Aerodynamics - with metal rings
Aerodyne International - with metal rings
Flight Concepts - with large ugly knots
some guy in Ontario
me
etc.

Recent incidents/accidents/malfunctions prove that it is a bad idea to stow excess steering line anywhere near any kind of connector link.
Lesson learned!