LouDiamond

The NEW suit in action

While I was down in Deland I flew with Jari's brother who was visiting from Finland. He had the New PHI prototype suit on and was kill'n it. The pictures of Jari's brother,Jukka,flying the new prototype PHI suit can be seen HERE

It's hard to discern the differences in the pictures but this suit is BAD ASS. Start saving now and you won't be sorry;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

So, any answers? Or is this just a teaser?

Geez, 'ol Lou here is worst then a sorority girl stripper, all tease!

I know my interest is peaked if it is a newer, more advanced beginner suit.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yes, that's a teaser. Yes, the wings are smaller and very-differet than an S3. No, it's not really a beginner suit, but pull time is easier than in a classic. It's a prototype aerobatic suit, which tests the feasibility of full inflation during both back and normal flight. It still needs some work in one area. It's damn sexy. No, there is not another one yet. It is definitely not a replacement for your "big" suit.

Man, you are some impatient people;):D
There are quite a few major differences as it is a completely different suit from any of the others. The arm and Leg wing have a completely different profile (shape) which give it a different flight characteristic. The arm wings have grippers on them as you can see in the pictures. This suit will inflate and stay inflated no matter which orientation(belly or back). As Chuck pointed out, it's designed to be a bit of an aerobatics type suit so it has good forward drive and stability. Because of the new design, air is able to inflate the suit wings uninterupted as well as the body making altitude loss minimal when doing rolls and flips. I would put this suit between the GTI and the SF3 since it is has a good deal of the qualities of both suits incorporated into it. A good pilot will be able to fly this suit with any of the current suits comfortably as it has a good deal of range either going fast with the SF3s or slowing it down to Classic IIs.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Sorry, was gonna edit and add that info. The PHI is still undergoing a few design tweaks and is not yet in production, it should be ready shortly though. Price is undetermined but anticipated at being in the same price range as the GTI +/- (options not included).

STILL need to order something to fly in ya know..with LOTS OF RED

HMM, note to self: tell Robert to buy another bolt of RED material;):D
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You bastard! That sounds like the perfect suit for photography! The big issue with the S3 on it's back is me blowing out the O ring.

I'm at Z-hills for a week April 12 to the 19th breaking RW records. Any chance I'll be able to check the new one out?

the new prototype PHI suit can be seen HERE. this suit is BAD ASS. Start saving now

I KNEW IT!! I held out for months waiting to see if the new Birdman suit was going to come out and THREE FREAKIN' WEEKS after I order a new S3, you guys release a new suit!
[new york accent] you're killin' me ova here [/accent]
:S Gahhhhh!

<><><><><><>
Q: "Do you think it gets boring just flying around or is there more to it?"
A: "I've never seen a bird get bored with flight and decide to start walking instead."

You bastard! That sounds like the perfect suit for photography! The big issue with the S3 on it's back is me blowing out the O ring.

O ring wha...? Flying camera on the back is a bitch Deuce. Flying on your back without a camera is easy, well kinda. I can get into the low fifties and touch the forties on my S-3 back style if I leave the cameras on the ground. Come out in may and we'll play.

I'm at Z-hills for a week April 12 to the 19th breaking RW records. Any chance I'll be able to check the new one out?

I'm sure if you stop by the Birdhouse Jari will let you see. I don't think they have any plans on going to Z hills though so you'll have to make the trek.

For those who just ordered suits, don't kill yourself banging your head against the wall just yet. The PHI is not in production yet so you are better off having placed your order when you did. The PHI will not replace any of the other suits in the model line since it is a completely different suit from any of the other 3 now produced.

As for it's being good for photography goes, I can see the added benifit of it's unique inflation system allowing you to fly camera on your back with greater ease. Likewise, it is a suit you can POP hard in to get above a subject or slow down easily enough to stay with groups or slower flyers.

The great thing about the suit is it's acrobatic applications and it's overall maneuverability that will allow for some really fun flights either by yourself or with a group.

* Blowing ones O ring out is a technique but not one that Birdman Inc. condones*:D:P
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

* Blowing ones O ring out is a technique but not one that Birdman Inc. condones*:D:P

Good, while in the suit the only rings I like to blow are my aftaboirnersmoke rings:o.

BabaLou can you give us a verbal description of some of its design differences, compared with the other suits, without letting the cat out of the bag? Oh fuck the feline spill it!
It appears there are some small triangular raised sections on the arm wings near the root ( shoulder ). Are these " top vents" with air locks or something? Are the cells more front vented as opposed to the standard leading edge bottom vents?
This and fifty other questions await you.

BabaLou can you give us a verbal description of some of its design differences, compared with the other suits, without letting the cat out of the bag?

Only if you bow down Wayne's world style to me:P:D:ph34r:

The major changes to this suit are the wing shape as you've seen but more importantly, the airlock system that is used on the body and wings themselves. This allows for a sustained inflation rate not found on any other suits. While other suits have the capability to inflate the body they generally lack the forward drive and maneuverability of a Birdman suit. This suit has the best of both worlds in that it can stay inflated no matter the orientation of the pilot and it has the forward drive and responsiveness that Birdman suit owners are used to. The shape of the wing also allows for cleaner pulls as it is well out of the way of the hack/hand during pull time. The new wing shape is similar to several species of birds wings and thus has some of the same flight characteristics. You can see in the pictures that the wings are extremely well inflated and they remain that way even while on your back largely due to the new design and use of "Airlock Technology":D The only thing this suit is missing is a frikken laser and that is becasue it's an option that is still being worked on along with the turbo assist modules.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

If it has airlocks does it have two sets of ram air inlets? One on the back as well as the standard front as in Jari's backflying prototype S-3 ( which is now mine wahahahah ).
Or does it have just one set that are placed forward enough that they "see" the oncomming air at various non- standard angles of flight? That in unison with the airlocks keep your tail feathers inflated and from going limp and flappading while you are back flying as seen by everybody on your video?

does it have two sets of ram air inlets?

It has several series of airlocks on both the front and back of all the wings unlike any of the previous attempts by any manufacturer. These actually work at keeping air in and not just a little but alot, the pictures prove that. The standard inlets are still present in addition to the airlock system. They are nothing like the ones on the suit you have as those don't really work which is why they were never incorporated. The arm & leg wing will stay pressurized even while on your back, something that none of the suits are capable of currently. The body of the suit will also pressurize more than previously as well. So you won't see any more of THIS type of flap action from the arms or leg wing while on your back.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Awwhhh Lou,

Ya busted me. I CAN get the wings to inflate on that suit but I have to fly arched with my head hung over forward making for a lousy camera platform. I can actually get good numbers too. Just no looky down. And the picture you took was before the mega grippers were installed on my wings. Next time you are in proximity to the Phi on the ground snap some shots of its vents & locks as a value added teaser for those of us that won't get close to one for a while, K?