The111

Modified or stock rig for WS?

My container has no WS mods and the only thing I do different for WS jumps is put the bag in grommet up. That said, if I were buying a new container now I'd get the cut corners and longer bridle if it were offered on the container I was looking at buying.

You don't NEED the mods, but they are a nice crutch. They save you a little thinking at pull time. When I was jumping an unmodded Racer and more a recently, an unmodded Eclipse (which has very, very closed corners), I just had to be aware of what I was jumping and make sure to burn off forward speed and start falling before pulling. I gave it about three to five seconds. If I didn't, I would get either a hesitation or a spinning d-bag. With my wingsuit specific Wings, I can deploy as soon as I touch the handle without ever getting a spinning d-bag, though I do still have to dive a bit to avoid a hesitation.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

You will find that some containers/set ups work fine without the MODS, such as the Racer Elite I used to jump. Other containers have tighter corners and may induce spins when the D bag leaves the container. This is really critical when you are also jumping a high perf canopy or a canopy that tends to dive. It goes without saying, for the people who jump high perf canopies these MODS are a real good idea because sooner or later you will get a spinner or diver that is cause for a cut away. If the container maker offers Birdman options (such as Wings) then it's not a bad idea to order these MODS as they are no additional cost and don't adversely affect normal skydives. It is also fairly easy for an experienced rigger to open the corners of your container and produce/install a longer bridle if purchasing a new container isn't in your near future.

Can you get away with jumping without the MODS? The answer is yes, you can.

Can you reduce the chances of having a deployment problem by getting the MODs? The answer is yes, you can.

Is it recommended that you get the MODS? The answer is yes.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

When I flew my GTI I did not have any modifications done to the rigs I used. I used a Javelin, a Talon and Eclipse (not recommended do to the lower corners being sewn up about 1-1/2” around the corner toward the closing loop) and an Infinity. I did not have an extended bridle or anything. When I got my S3 I bought a 100” bridle based on the bigger burble that the larger wings have. While I do not think it is necessary to have any modifications done to a rig, I think the modifications lessen the possibility of a mal. Most important as manbird stated is be aware of the equipment you fly and fly in accordance to it’s possible limitations.
Kirk

How about the reserve bridle? My rigger told me a reserve bridle is about the same length as the lines of your reserve. I jump a 128 reserve, no clue as to how long those lines are/how long the bridle is. Also I'm a little concerned about the pilot chute being springloaded in general, combined with a wingsuit.

Say you have to pull your reserve at terminal. Would you do anything different on opening? Anybody here HAD a terminal reserve ride with a wingsuit? How did it go?

Also, I find that on my last 10 BM jumps or so (I have about 20) I don't have line twists (or slammers) on my spectre anymore. I slow down more, pull up my knees slightly and voila, nice opening, no more twists and no more slammers. But the BM manual says to keep your legs extended?

BTW I jump an unmodified Atom classic. It has high corners and I can't rotate the bag in it. Main bridle is also standard (I think about 2m). I jump a classic suit now, have a classic II on order.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

only thing I do different for WS jumps is put the bag in grommet up

Does the manufacture of the rig recommend this?

I know what rig you jump, and what is thought of the practice, but I want to make a point.

People have been killed because they use gear in a fashion not expected or designed for. Something as simple as packing a new rig like the jumper used to pack his old one, was a contributing factor to a fatality in SoCal a few years back. The technique of placing the bag in the tray in the fashion said jumper used was not an aproved method of packing by the new manufacturer.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Say you have to pull your reserve at terminal. Would you do anything different on opening? Anybody here HAD a terminal reserve ride with a wingsuit? How did it go?

haveing a reserve ride at terminal on my s3 with video proof

how did it go? well i am alive
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I began my Birdman journey with a Mirage G3 and a 100" bridle. I have just had my container modified(see attachments) after nearly 50 flights. Prior to now I have had several hesitations, some of which resulted in moderate line twists ;), I expect after seeing the mod on MY container, I will have much cleaner deployments. Undoubtedly, I will still 'slow down' before deployment, just as BIRDMAN recommends with an elliptical canopy. Ideally I'd have a dedicated rig with a semi-square canopy (Sabre2, Saffire2), but my Vengence opens nice and straight as long as I pay attention:).
I'll report back after some jumps with the mod and tell you my thoughts.
Later
Blair

Edited to add: Leroy, I had no idea you had a cutaway while flying your S3, where were you? :P

just gave mine to my rigger to have a longer bridle and bigger pilot chute, but also to do some other small things.
But I know people who jump rigs without any modification, and they say it's fine.
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Edited to add: Leroy, I had no idea you had a cutaway while flying your S3, where were you?

just reading up an old post.... this was ages ago, I was at raeford, NC, USA. Was jump 315 on the SF3. and yes its on video...
Le Roy
ps i have a BJ260, black lines, zp topskin...... maybe we will cross paths. first jump (beer) was on feb 29th leap year
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

My first WS jump was on a demo suit, I didn't have any mods on the container. (Wings) Once I bought my suit I had the corners cut out before I even jumped it. My packing method hasn't changed, I've always packed gromet down. I do not have the larger PC or longer bridal, but I'm jumping a classic 2.

I don't have anything to compare to, but I think the corners have/will make a huge difference
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!