The111

fall rate...

I found an older post in the BASE jump forum where it was stated that someone named Robert Pecnik made a 1 min wingsuit flight from a 2000 ft cliff. I find this impossible to believe... I did the math and even if he deployed at 0 ft (which obviously he didn't), an average fall rate of 2000 ft/min is equal to 22 mph. Possible?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

There was a badass videographer at the Byron Boogie who had some birdman footage from Norway. OH MY FREAKING GOD. There was this waterfall, and the birdmen were flying along the cliff behind it (the waterfall!). Absolutely unbelievable stuff. Damn I wish I could remember names better, it was tape definitely worth owning. The comment was made that for BASE the GTi and Classic are a little better cause they take less time to get into full flight. The guys jumping that cliff surely did rule that fjord!

I found an older post in the BASE jump forum where it was stated that someone named Robert Pecnik made a 1 min wingsuit flight from a 2000 ft cliff. I find this impossible to believe... I did the math and even if he deployed at 0 ft (which obviously he didn't), an average fall rate of 2000 ft/min is equal to 22 mph. Possible?

You do know Robert is the designer for the birdman suits right? I'm sure he has quite a bit of experience flying the suits :)

just bc the vertical drop from the cliff is 2,000' doesn't mean that the talus further down doesn't slope pretty steeply. I believe this is what allows some birdmen (and even trackers) to get monster times from these cliffs. I dont know, I'll tell you in a year or two when I go to norway! :)
I believe they talk about outflying the talus from time to time. Definitely takes some experience from what I can tell. :S

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

The cliff is 2,000 feet, but there's another almost 2,000 feet of talus. The fall rate was more like 40ish.

And Yuri broke two minutes on a BASE jump.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

most long flights are coupled with conservative canopy rides from what I can tell. A lot of them have to be or they won't make it back to the landing area!

blue skies

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

most long flights are coupled with conservative canopy rides from what I can tell. A lot of them have to be or they won't make it back to the landing area!

This has been changing as wingsuit glide ratios approach and match that of BASE canopies: i generally arrive to LZ in a suit. Higher pulls only mean that we are getting old and conservative, or simply run out of landing areas ;)

Current vertical speed hovers around 14..15m/s (32..34mph).

bsbd!

Yuri.

In BASE, you generally want a canopy you can land anywhere.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

In BASE, you generally want a canopy you can land anywhere.

Especially the landing zone. Hence the conservative altitudes unless they are over the landing zone during deployment.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto